Dread~head mid-2008 - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 529 Old 06-10-2008, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My hair is poker straight (look at the pic in my signature) and so fine that I only have 16 dreads so I really can't wear them down or there are bare spots, but with them getting fatter I am hoping that will all change.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#212 of 529 Old 06-10-2008, 10:06 PM

Here's a pic of me with my dreads that I took the other day. It's a crappy picture

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2630556...7605549301653/
#213 of 529 Old 06-11-2008, 12:23 AM

It's kind of dark, but I think your dreads are lookin' really good They seem really neat and smooth.

Mine are kinda fuzzy at the moment, and not just random stray hairs, but strands of shorter hair that stick out and make quite dramatic little curly-q's (my hair is naturally curly). It looks like something out of a Dr. Suess cartoon. Srsly
#214 of 529 Old 06-11-2008, 01:44 AM

My dreads are 2 1/2 years old now. Wow... where does the time go? I love them. I wish I'd gotten them sooner.

When I started my hair was almost to my shoulders. I couldn't stop cutting it because I bleached it repeatedly, it fried and I hacked it. Plus I'd get bored with the same hair color and cut after awhile. Long hair was my dream... a dream I never thought I'd see. Well, dreads changed everything! I backcombed my hair, comtinued to bleach it, but didn't have to cut it and now it's down to the middle of my back. Sweet.

Kristi wife to Mal , mom to Ziva (4/07) (3/08) Aliyah (1/09) and somebody new (edd 11/10). I
#215 of 529 Old 06-11-2008, 08:52 AM

I am getting nervous all of the sudden, my hair is at my collar bone. I am wondering just how much my hair is going to shrink when I do the 'big locking of 2008', here in a few weeks. I am so nervous that it will be super short and that I won't like it. It's funny, I am not nervous about how the dreads are going to form, or look frizzy, or loose hairs, etc, I am more worried about the length. How silly write
#216 of 529 Old 06-11-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
It's kind of dark, but I think your dreads are lookin' really good They seem really neat and smooth.
Thanks! Some days they look good, some days they look...not so good. I'm having a not so good day today
#217 of 529 Old 06-11-2008, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSister View Post
Okay, I'm clueless here: What is felting and how is it done?
you take a barbed needle (felting needle) and jab your locs repetitively with it. the barbs pull the lose hair into the dread. I love it to blunt the ends of the dread. it's super sharp and best if you have a very very trusted and steady handed friend do it for you

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#218 of 529 Old 06-13-2008, 03:55 PM

Pics of the results of our 3 hour dread-fest!

Back before

Back after
A few days later

My pretty dreads

Now I hope that at least 75% of her work actually stays when I wash it. lol

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#219 of 529 Old 06-14-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
Pics of the results of our 3 hour dread-fest!
They look GREAT! What a neat idea

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Here we are: Week Three

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3022/...2af576ae_o.jpg

My Gertrude McFuzz dread

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3042/...faa137fb_o.jpg

I met a former dreadhead this week, which in and of itself is cool because people with dreads are just SO rare in this area. But what was even cooler is that he said mine were looking really good for being just a few weeks old. That was nice to hear
#220 of 529 Old 06-14-2008, 01:15 PM

I love seeing baby dreads! They are so cute!!

Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#221 of 529 Old 06-15-2008, 12:06 AM

Hey, Emily, it's MM from GCM.

I was wondering has anyone tried using flax seed gel like dread wax? I don't want to use wax, but I'd love to use something water soluble that would hold the frizzies at bay.

Here's how you make it:
http://crabappleherbs.com/blog/2007/...flax-hair-gel/
#222 of 529 Old 06-15-2008, 01:06 AM

My 3yo DD wants dreads! Yay! She has blonde hair, 3-4 inches long. We're doing it tommorrow, I think. She's going to look so cute. I can't wait! She wants to look like Mommy
#223 of 529 Old 06-15-2008, 07:17 PM

I tried using aloe vera last week in hopes of taming some frizzies. It didn't seem to do anything. And after 4 weeks, I am still feeling wax in my hair from the one time use on Day 1 so I know I'm not going that route again.

But then it dawned on me. I can keep fighting it or I can accept it. I didn't do this because I thought I'd always look acceptable to others. I did it because somewhere was a voice in my heart saying it's where I need to be. And I'm starting to understand why.

Acceptance has been reverberating in my mind for a little while now. Acceptance of myself and how funky my dreads can look. Which only lead me to see the unacceptance and judgement I often gave to others simply upon appearance. I'm starting to see how much importance I wrap up in appearance, as well as how many people judge me on looks alone.

And then how many don't. I've walked around feeling self conscious, especially if I was sans head wrap. But now that I've been accepting my dreads for what they are and have felt more comfortable without wrapping my head, I've stumbled upon the most interesting people. People who didn't even look twice at my hair. People who looked at me. People who may - after my years of looking - end up being the best friend I've been searching for.

I thought this would be a journey in patience. And maybe it still will be so. But right now, the first leg of this journey is about acceptance. Accepting the image on the outside of me is not what I need to focus on making look good. It's the inner image that I need to work on showing off. And it's an image I'm not always too happy with; one that has been lacking some TLC lately.

I'm seeing myself let go more and more of the vanity and control that has quietly ruled my life and I'm learning to just accept and love me as I truly Am. And right now I am beautifully fuzzy! And I love it! How sweet it is to be loved by me!
#224 of 529 Old 06-15-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSister View Post
I'm seeing myself let go more and more of the vanity and control that has quietly ruled my life and I'm learning to just accept and love me as I truly Am. And right now I am beautifully fuzzy! And I love it! How sweet it is to be loved by me!
#225 of 529 Old 06-16-2008, 12:44 AM

i keep lurking here because ir eally want dreads and feel really drawn to them. i even stopped brushing my hair but it isn't really tangled at all and i stopped over a week ago. and lately my son has been pulling my hair a lot when i wear him in a back carry which has me pondering cutting my hair very very short instead of dreads. anyone here with a lo that likes pulling hair? how does hair pulling work with dreads? maybe he will grow out of the hair pulling phase soon and i won't need to cut my hair off.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#226 of 529 Old 06-16-2008, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

: another one of my dreads broke!!! about 6" came off the end of one that was hip-length and is now only waist length. *sniff sniff*
so sad when one of the babies goes

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#227 of 529 Old 06-16-2008, 03:14 PM

majikfaerie, Oh my! Why are they breaking?

moonfroggy, as for the hair pulling, can't pull it if it is wrapped or in a tam

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#228 of 529 Old 06-16-2008, 11:31 PM

I woke up one morning and there was a full dreadlock on the couch. One of my friends who has dreads to his bum was over and I guess the darn thing just fell out. Weird thing to find on the couch. Guess he didn't notice it missing. Oh and a question....Do dreads grow at a slower rate? I freaked out and cut my very long hair to about 2 inches past my shoulders when I was pregnant last. I want to have dreads but I want them to grow long eventually. Will it take forever for my hair to grow in dreads?

I'm Valerie bfinfant.gif wife to a United States Navy sailor, mom to Audreygeek.gif(6/01), Lydiathumbsuck.gif(4/08)   Jethrobabyf.gif(1/10) and Vivian babygirl.gif (6/11) novaxnocirc.gifcd.gif

#229 of 529 Old 06-17-2008, 09:42 AM

EEK! I didn't know dreads could just break off! Why do they do that? I hope that doesn't happen to any of mine. Does it only happen when they're long? Mine are still short.

DD decided getting dreads hurt so we stopped after two and deep conditioned her hair to get them out She wants to wait until she's older. Oh well.
#230 of 529 Old 06-17-2008, 10:49 AM

I have found stray dreads from friends, normally I keep them or give them back for them to keep. When they get long they do naturally break off.

and dreads take FOREVER to grow. when my hair was straight I could grow about 6-8 inches in a year. now, I'm lucky if I get 2.

#231 of 529 Old 06-17-2008, 10:59 AM

Damn, I should've waited until my hair was longer to dread it
#232 of 529 Old 06-17-2008, 04:44 PM

#233 of 529 Old 06-17-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB View Post
They're b-e-a-u-tiful, and coming along really nicely
#234 of 529 Old 06-17-2008, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

sometimes they just break. when they get *old*. they develop some weak point that keeps getting weaker and then a bit breaks off.
on mine, they all got a weak point on the seam between 'hair that was once hair and dreaded' and 'hair that grew as part of the dread'.
the one that broke was one of the last few I have left with old dreaded hair still on the ends. but mine are all 9 - 12 years old (the ones at the back are younger coz I gave myself and undercut 10 years ago).

usually just a bit breaks off, and it's happened to me loads of times. still, it's always sad.

about the growth rate, IME, when they're just starting, they get shorter and shorter, as they fatten and firm up. then I went for a long time, maybe 2 years, when they didn;t really grow *at all*. then they grew slowly.
the longer they got, the faster they grow. now my dreads seem to be pouring out of my head.

doesn't really matter how long your hair is when you start, you usually lose about 1/4 - 1/3 of your length in the beginning.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#235 of 529 Old 06-18-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domesticzookeeper View Post
They're b-e-a-u-tiful, and coming along really nicely
Thanks!

About growing, My hair has shrunk 4 inches!!! It started out down my back. But they are rock hard and I don't foresee them getting any shorter.......I hope not!
I hate the length they are though the ends always feel scratchy on my neck.
here they are a couple months old
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...3/Photo190.jpg
#236 of 529 Old 06-19-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
then I went for a long time, maybe 2 years, when they didn;t really grow *at all*. then they grew slowly.
ugh, mine are about 2 years old, and they don't seem to grow at all... Hopefully they will get longer here soon, I agree that they grow faster when they are longer, they can get heavy I worked with a girls who had dreads to her thighs and they were having troubles breaking off at the scalp because they didn't want to dread up close and all the weight of literally YEARS of hair was on those tiny strands.

Oh, pregnancy grows dreads like weeds. I saw the same friend go through 2 PG's and every time I saw here they were longer. can't wait.

#237 of 529 Old 06-24-2008, 07:52 PM

Does anyone have a DH with dreads? I'm trying to imagine what I would look like with them once the mohawk grows out.
#238 of 529 Old 06-24-2008, 07:59 PM

Hy DH has baby dreads. They aren't even all finished yet. I don't have any recent pictures but I will snap a pic of him when he gets home if you want to see "dude dreads"

#239 of 529 Old 06-24-2008, 09:51 PM

can anyone recommend a could place to get a tam? made an etsy shop? i have stopped brushing my hair as i have no one to help me with back combing and i don't have the time for it anyhow so i am going to just go with neglect but soon i will need to cover it up for a bit . any tips to make it dread a bit faster? i am thinking about a little salt water every now and then but not so salty it leaves salt crystals

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#240 of 529 Old 06-25-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfroggy View Post
can anyone recommend a could place to get a tam? made an etsy shop? i have stopped brushing my hair as i have no one to help me with back combing and i don't have the time for it anyhow so i am going to just go with neglect but soon i will need to cover it up for a bit . any tips to make it dread a bit faster? i am thinking about a little salt water every now and then but not so salty it leaves salt crystals
From what I understand, the neglect route still requires regular washing. Before I backcombed I started washing with a non-residue soap with no conditioner and it seemed to make my hair want to knot up rather quickly. I'm using Dr Bronners because all the dread soaps have ingrediants I'm either allergic too or won't use.

The only other thing I can say is to be sure to check on them regularly and seperate anything you don't like or you may end up with one big fat dread in the back of your head. Saw a pic of a guy who didn't pay attention and he had one flat matted dread across the entire back of his head. Was not a pretty sight.

Good luck!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page