Rosehip Seed Oil really, really works! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 04-09-2008, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Flmama - I've read up on various kinds of oils and haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe RHSO is inappropriate for pregnancy. (Many essential oils are contraindicated, but rose hip seed oil is a carrier oil, not an essential oil.) At any rate, I've been using it in my belly oil blend. It comprises about 1/4 of the total mixture. No stretch marks so far, but I'm only in the 8th month. Last time I didn't develop any stretch marks on my belly until about a week or two before the birth.
#32 of 58 Old 04-10-2008, 10:19 AM

If you purchased this from MRH, what do you find to be the best application method? The bottle neck seems wider than any other I've used (for an oil) and this morning used quite a bit more came rushing out of the bottle than I expected.

Just your fingers, or cotton balls?
#33 of 58 Old 04-10-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by es1967 View Post
Does Whole foods sell it? I want some.
My Whole Foods had it when I went last week. I didn't get any because I didn't want to spend the money. My guess is you can get it cheaper online. I don't recall the brand they had but it was a little <1oz jar of it. It seemed to me it wouldn't last very long. HTH
#34 of 58 Old 04-14-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin_mama View Post
If you purchased this from MRH, what do you find to be the best application method? The bottle neck seems wider than any other I've used (for an oil) and this morning used quite a bit more came rushing out of the bottle than I expected.

Just your fingers, or cotton balls?
I need to put it in a different bottle, I agree. They have the brown glass dropper bottle at my natural foods store in town. I think I will get one of those. I have been puting my middle & ring fingers over the hole, so it is completely covered so none leaks out. I only do this right after I have washed my hands. I get just the right amount to go around both eyes. Then I do it again for my forehead. But I like the idea of a dropper, like I use for my jojoba.
#35 of 58 Old 04-14-2008, 03:53 AM

A few questions, if you don't mind:

1) What is MRH?
2) Is there a diffence between Rose Hip Oil and Rose Hip SEED oil?
3) A woman at my Wholefoods was recently demoing a new product line with rose hip oil as the base, and says it comes from England and is sponsored by Gwenth Paltrow (not that I care about Ms. palro's involvement -- just trying to place the product). A tiny bottle of the syrum was $85. Is the the product some of you are talking about? And if so, is it worth the big bucks -- or should I just buy one of the cheaper options mentioned her?
#36 of 58 Old 04-15-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marni View Post
A few questions, if you don't mind:

1) What is MRH?
2) Is there a diffence between Rose Hip Oil and Rose Hip SEED oil?
3) A woman at my Wholefoods was recently demoing a new product line with rose hip oil as the base, and says it comes from England and is sponsored by Gwenth Paltrow (not that I care about Ms. palro's involvement -- just trying to place the product). A tiny bottle of the syrum was $85. Is the the product some of you are talking about? And if so, is it worth the big bucks -- or should I just buy one of the cheaper options mentioned her?
1) MRH = Mountain Rose Herbs
2) No clue, LOL. I got Rosehip Seed Oil from MRH.
3) No way! Personally, I would never pay that much for a facial product. I paid $9.50 for a 4 oz bottle of RSO.
#37 of 58 Old 05-04-2008, 11:05 AM

Can you mix RHSO with another essential oil to help the smell? Its not particularly pleasant, though I love the product!! What would be a safe EO to use?
#38 of 58 Old 05-06-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgilleran@earth-co View Post
Well, I started using it Saturday I think. I thought it felt nice, but wasn't expecting miracles. I noticed last night that my "parentheses" between my eye-brows looks better! I couldn't believe it. It was one of those things where I just noticed it while washing my hands, not really even looking at my face in particular. I'm going to be watching it like a hawk now though!
Really?! I would love to get rid of my own "parentheses," or at least make them less noticeable...without botox! I've been intersted in trying RHSO for a while. I think I will take the plunge and order some. Question - does it need to be refrigerated, or do you keep it at room temp? Thanks!
#39 of 58 Old 05-06-2008, 02:05 PM

I have mine in a dropper bottle and added some lavender EO into it. DH face is definitely much smoother than before. We have been using that for about 2 weeks now. I personally don't see too much of a different yet...

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#40 of 58 Old 05-06-2008, 10:56 PM

I've used Rosehip Seed Oil for six months, averaging 3-4 times a week. I definitely see a difference! I put it on straight from the bottle, no dilution but I will say try to apply it before going to bed. No breakouts and my skin is smoother, which is such a relief since I spend so much time outdoors!
#41 of 58 Old 07-16-2008, 02:10 AM

i saw this thread a while ago but couldn't find any rosehip seed oil then last week i found some and have been using it and wow! i am so glad for mdc and this thread. i already am noticing a difference!

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#42 of 58 Old 08-17-2008, 09:17 PM

I don't post much, but I luuurve this forum & had to drag up this old thread, after my recent discovery of this magic stuff. Really, I'm amazed. I've always had dry facial skin, complete with early wrinkles & constant flaky bits on my nose & cheeks. I bought a $15 bottle of rosehip oil & I can't believe the difference.

I use it nightly after a shower, & after it's soaked in just put my normal basic moisturiser over the top. After all of 10 days, my skin felt (& still feels) much more hydrated somehow.. just softer & plumper, and my wrinkles have defintely diminished... I'm 33 & I swear my skin looks better than 10 years ago! DP & friends have all commented.

Also tried it along with body-brushing on my upper arms. I get keratosis pilaris (little red bumps like tiny whiteheads)- that's gone down a bit too

I can imagine it working brilliantly on scars and maybe stretchmarks... HIGHLY recommend the stuff in any case, my $15 bottle has lasted nearly 8 weeks

Sorry to go on, just so impressed & had to share! love Bel
#43 of 58 Old 08-17-2008, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What about other areas? I have horrid dry skin that itches in the fall and winter? mainly my legs...

thanks!
#44 of 58 Old 08-17-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtake View Post
What about other areas? I have horrid dry skin that itches in the fall and winter? mainly my legs...

thanks!
Using any oils alone would dry out your skin even if you apply it on your wet skin (I've tried that). You need water and oil in your moisturizer to really moisturize your skin.

I bought this body butter-type thing which was just oils and waxes, and my skin dried out horribly. So I took it and made a lotion out of it since I had half the ingredients on hand. OMG, I have never tried such an awesome lotion! I would be happy to share my recipe (I found it online and tweaked it), but when you add water, you need preservatives unless you're going to mix up a new batch every 2 weeks. I'm not sure if you're against parabens - there's a paraben-free preservative too but haven't tried it yet.

So when you look for moisturizers, you want water to be listed first, then oils. Glycerin is wonderful too.

~Katie
#45 of 58 Old 08-20-2008, 01:11 AM

Yup, I'm with FluffiB, you'd need a moisturiser over the top. I'm using a really light one also based on RHO, but I'd try the oil with any light moisturiser (even sorbolene or similar) for flaky legs. You can still use it elsewhere if it doesn't help. My arms are looking better, so I'll defintely be buying another bottle.. it really does stretch when it's warm

Love Bel
#46 of 58 Old 08-20-2008, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I use rosehip oil on my hair sometimes. Makes my hair soft and nice. Just a few drops as a leave-in. I never use it on skin, though. Maybe I should try it. But then my skin seems perfectly fine without me putting anything on it, maybe I should leave it alone.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#47 of 58 Old 08-20-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddi View Post
I use rosehip oil on my hair sometimes. Makes my hair soft and nice. Just a few drops as a leave-in. I never use it on skin, though. Maybe I should try it. But then my skin seems perfectly fine without me putting anything on it, maybe I should leave it alone.
Yes it is great for hair too. And if your skin is fine without I'd leave it alone.
#48 of 58 Old 08-20-2008, 10:39 AM

I use rosehip oil on ends of my hair too - it's wonderful! I do no-poo, so I need that little extra oil at the ends.

A lot of oils clog my pores, so I was scared to death to try it, but I didn't break out! But if your face is fine, I would leave it alone too.

~Katie
#49 of 58 Old 09-03-2008, 05:00 PM

Dustyblue, try to up your essential fatty acids (cod liver oil or flax seed oil) to get rid of keratosis. It really works!
#50 of 58 Old 09-07-2008, 12:57 PM

I have tons of rose hips so I don't really want to pay for the oil. Does anyone know how to make the oil? Would rose hip tea work?

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#51 of 58 Old 09-12-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyblue View Post
I bought a $15 bottle of rosehip oil & I can't believe the difference.
Where did you get your oil?
#52 of 58 Old 12-11-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffiB View Post
Using any oils alone would dry out your skin even if you apply it on your wet skin (I've tried that). You need water and oil in your moisturizer to really moisturize your skin.

I bought this body butter-type thing which was just oils and waxes, and my skin dried out horribly. So I took it and made a lotion out of it since I had half the ingredients on hand. OMG, I have never tried such an awesome lotion! I would be happy to share my recipe (I found it online and tweaked it), but when you add water, you need preservatives unless you're going to mix up a new batch every 2 weeks. I'm not sure if you're against parabens - there's a paraben-free preservative too but haven't tried it yet.

So when you look for moisturizers, you want water to be listed first, then oils. Glycerin is wonderful too.
thanks for this info, and i would LOVe your recipe. I have ONLY been using oil!
#53 of 58 Old 12-11-2008, 06:55 AM

IMO you need a moisturizer first and then oil to seal the moisture. I put jojoba oil on my face when it is wet and that works very well to.

I'd love the recipe too.
#54 of 58 Old 12-11-2008, 08:38 AM

I used the recipe here:
http://www.thesage.com/recipes/recip...=Display&id=14

It makes 4 oz. It's not too thick, so you can put it into an HDPE bottle. You'll need caps.

Instead of the mango butter I used Frontier's Mango Shea Butter because I had it and didn't like it as is. It works really awesome with this recipe, so I bought more!

Instead of using Germaben II, you can use Liquid Germall Plus since it contains no parabens. Since you only need to use 0.1 - 0.5% of the total formulation, you need to adjust the percentage of the original recipe.

If you don't want to use any preservatives at all you'll have to refrigerate your finished product and use it up within 2 weeks (I think that's the recommendation).

Oh, I did have to buy a stick blender (I got Cuisinart and works great) and a few misc items like a large glass measuring cup, but it was well worth the investment!

Last but not least, make sure to sanitize all your equipment first by wiping it down with alcohol. I have a spray bottle filled with regular 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. I also wear rubber gloves.

~Katie
#55 of 58 Old 12-12-2008, 06:52 PM

I've been using rosehip seed oil and a rosehip seed moisturizer since mid-November, and according to others, my skin is looking much more smooth and even.

:

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#56 of 58 Old 03-17-2014, 10:28 AM

So, is it safe to use during pregnancy then? Im still confused on that.

#57 of 58 Old 03-18-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeDazzel View Post

So, is it safe to use during pregnancy then? Im still confused on that.

I'd like to know this too. I've been wanting to use both rosehip and seabuckthorn oil but both are high in beta carotene..
#58 of 58 Old 06-24-2014, 09:59 PM

Smile Shouldn't be expensive

Actually mine came from a farmers market where he gets all his oil organically. people buy from him and resell for much more he says. I buy my rose hip oil for $9 and he puts it on sale when its mothers day and other occasions and it is yellow. His products are amazing I get the Eucalyptus mud mask for $13 when he puts them on sale its $9. And its organic with no chemicals. They don't have to be expensive to work. trust me even he tells me that and they give amazing results. I did notice a chance in 2 days after use. I've been using it for 2 months and my dark circle and my sun spots have lighten up. My skin glows now and looks healthier. He also mentioned to me not to buy from ebay because they have found that they are fake containing sea salts. his distributor is from israel so his muds are truly from the dead sea. I would recommend to look into different farmers markets and search online in your area. you'll be surprised how inexpensive they can be and work like magic.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page