Non-toxic mattresses?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-24-2008, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where do you find them? Is there a cheap alternative (low tox? i guess)... My double futon is getting too small for me and my girls. When I first got it, way before I had kids, it sure had that chemical smell... I was thinking of trying a large queen size foamy, or getting another futon...

ideas? rec's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-24-2008, 03:21 PM

moved to natural home!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#3 of 7 Old 03-24-2008, 03:30 PM

I don't know how cheap you need but we needed a new mattress and couldn't afford any of the no toxin options. We ended up getting a couple of latex bed toppers. We got two three inch ones from http://www.absolutecomfortonsale.com/latexfoam.htm and we both think it is much better than our old mattress. I don't know what thickness you'd need or how cheap but it's a no toxin option at least.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#4 of 7 Old 03-24-2008, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

that's interesting... I've never heard of the latex thing... So you just put two together to make your new bed? How was the shipping? And does it sit on a bed frame?

#5 of 7 Old 03-24-2008, 07:58 PM

Well, I think they have free shipping. I also asked for a discount for ordering two and they gave it but I don't remember how much. Actually, we put it on our old boxsprings. But I got the idea from someone on mothering who put it on her slat bed I think. On the floor they felt fine. I'm not sure how they would feel over something rough; I think ok but I'm not sure. The place I ordered from had a money back if you're not happy deal. Problem of course there would be you're out shipping.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#6 of 7 Old 03-26-2008, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

anyone else found a great cheap option? I live in canada too, so hopefully the shipping wouldn't be too exorbitant.
#7 of 7 Old 03-26-2008, 03:12 PM

I needed two twin mattresses for my kids' bunk beds and I tried to find something nontoxic that I could afford, but I couldn't. I considered getting cotton futons, but didn't want to put them on the bunks. I ended up buying used mattresses because I figured at least they had already done some outgassing and then I encased them in zipon allergy barriers since I figured they would have dust mite build up.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page