The Best Laid Plans of Mice.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-26-2008, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yikes! The mice are taking over our house! We have several live traps and have been working them for about two months, but whoa it's not enough! All the obvious putting away of food, leaving kitchen as clean as possible, searching for holes to plug, praying, asking them to move out, geez, nothing seems to reduce their numbers! We have a 23 month old son and generally do not use chemical cleaners and such....

Does anyone have an idea to try?

tia !!

Cait
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2008, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to add that we live in the middle of the woods....lol. The mice even crawl up into our car sometimes...it is unbelievable! We've had to take the car in twice over the past four months to have a deceased rodent taken out of the ac system....blech!
Old 03-26-2008, 10:36 PM

keeping an open clear area around the perimeter of your house seems to help, they are afraid I think to run across open areas least they get caught. We have tried clearing brush, moving flower beds away from the house, no wood piles close by and I think it has helped with our mice population this year, we keep traps out alot and catch more when it starts to turn cold. They seem to leave during the warm months only to return when it starts getting chilly out. Woods here too.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:50 PM

Do you have any outdoor cats? They can help a little.

If you are willing to go with poison, you can get tamper-proof bait stations. Here's some examples. That is how we got rid of our mouse problem last year.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:47 PM

I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread, but I just had a nice giggle at your post title.

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

Old 04-10-2008, 01:13 AM

huh....so the vines all over our house may not be helping? we've got it bad. they are in the walls. i am really needing to get some fire insurance. i am very worried about the wire chewing. i keep trapping them. how many can there be? i am having nightmares that i will be killing two mice a day for months. that really grosses me out. and yes, i use traps that are guaranteed to kill. they are in my food, in my walls. they are dirty and gross. and we rent.

User Tag List