Alternatives to an organic mattress? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 04-07-2008, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We need at least one new bed in my house, and I am just shocked at the cost of organic mattresses. There is just no way we can afford one. What are some alternatives? An air bed? Foam bed? Wrapping a regular mattress in plastic or one of those carbon blanket wraps? I breaks my heart to buy one of the new, especially toxic, mattresses on the market, but I just can't spend $2,000-$5,000 on a mattress.
#2 of 42 Old 04-07-2008, 01:49 PM

Hi there,

Check out keetsa.com. I can't speak on behalf of their mattresses yet, but just heard about them.

Has anyone else tried a Keetsa?

Also, as a sidenote, I picked up the Target brand organic sheets and am very happy with them.

Good luck!

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#3 of 42 Old 04-07-2008, 03:07 PM

You should be able to get a good latex mattress in the $600 range. Another plus to latex is that they don't harbor bugs.

The keetsa website looks really good. Thanks for the tip, pp!
#4 of 42 Old 04-07-2008, 10:05 PM

An air bed is made of plastic, generally containing PVCs. A foam bed is one of the most toxic beds you can get.

I would really shop around. We were just discussing mattresses on another thread a few days ago. I know Organic Grace has some excellent prices on organic beds, and Heart of Vermont has organic futons.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 42 Old 04-08-2008, 12:04 AM

We got ours at IKEA!!!! Latex is a good alternative!!!
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...bedroom/10631/

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#6 of 42 Old 04-08-2008, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We also just ordered a latex/wool mattress from Ikea. The no flame retardants is what initially drew me to Ikea. I looked into it a bit more, and it seemed like the most accessible, healthy thing for us. It's currently stuck on the other side of the river, waiting for break up so the ferry can get it over to us (the ice road is closed to trucks right now). I'm really excited for it to get here though!
If we were rich, I would order a wool bed from Shepherd's Dream, I think. We have pillows from them, and they are completely lovely.

For greater things are yet to come...

#7 of 42 Old 04-08-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkat View Post
If we were rich, I would order a wool bed from Shepherd's Dream, I think. We have pillows from them, and they are completely lovely.
oh yummy!!!! have you seen the pads?!?!?!?! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00112088
This is the one we want to get!

We got the pillows with duck feathers filling

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#8 of 42 Old 04-08-2008, 12:53 AM

Be aware that Ikea Canada beds are retardant free, but Ikea US beds are not.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#9 of 42 Old 04-08-2008, 09:54 AM

Organic bed cover or sheets? We use organic sheets because a new bed isn't in our budget right now.
#10 of 42 Old 04-09-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco_mama View Post
Organic bed cover or sheets? We use organic sheets because a new bed isn't in our budget right now.
sounds good.

how often should i really be replacing my mattress anyway? i have no clue. ours is like 6 years old, so i assume we've already absorbed most of what it's offgassing. it's all stainy and kinda weird, but it's not uncomfortable. really, that's my biggest priority. i'm way scared of huffing regular "new mattress scent" anytime soon, but we couldn't afford organic either. hmm...
#11 of 42 Old 04-09-2008, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Ikea beds are synthetic latex though. I would rather pay a little more for a natural latex.

We got DS bed from Habitat and we are thrilled with it.
#12 of 42 Old 04-09-2008, 10:05 PM

Have you looked at www.organicgrace.com? We just ordered from there last week, and its run by an MDC mama. She's running an earth day sale on mattresses this month (20% off!). We ordered the budget latex mattress (with a 4" latex core wrapped in pure wool and organic cotton) and it was only $480 on sale. We are on a super tight budget here, so I was thrilled to find a safe mattress for a fantastic price!

I had looked at Ikea mattresses, but since they do use flame retardants here in the states, the wool isn't untreated, and its mostly synthetic latex, we decided against it.

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#13 of 42 Old 04-11-2008, 09:00 AM

I'm allergic to latex, so I probably should avoid those. I've also wondered too about comfort. I would hate to order a mattress without getting to try it out first. I wouldn't want to shell out the big bucks and then not be able to sleep well on it.

Are the organic mattresses flame retardant free? I read in another thread somewhere that they weren't.

Thanks!
#14 of 42 Old 04-13-2008, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manonash View Post
Are the organic mattresses flame retardant free? I read in another thread somewhere that they weren't.
It may depend on which bed you're looking at, but I highly doubt that any organic mattress would contain chemical flame retardants.

From Organic Grace:
Quote:
All of our organic mattresses meets all state and federal fire codes, including the new 2005 California mattress fire code. No fire retardant chemicals or any other chemicals are used in any of our organic mattresses. This hand crafted organic mattress is made in the USA by Vivetique/Crown City Mattress Company, America's oldest manufacturer of organic beds.
Wool is naturally flame-retardant, and many of the organic beds are wrapped in wool for that reason.

If you're talking about all-cotton organic mattresses, they do not contain any flame retardants. If you live in the state of CA and want an all-cotton organic mattress, you are required to get a doctor's prescription.

#15 of 42 Old 04-13-2008, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If I absolutely HAD TO replace a mattress, on a tight budget, I'd go with an all natural futon over a conventional mattress. And then maybe cover the futon with an all natural latex topper.

For beds that are "wearing out, not as comfy as they once were but still usable" I'd get a latex topper. I bought one for DD2's bed, and I may get one for DS bed, unless I just hold out until I can afford a good latex mattress for myself, and then give him my current bed (or give DD2 my current bed and give DS DD2's current bed.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#16 of 42 Old 04-14-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
If I absolutely HAD TO replace a mattress, on a tight budget, I'd go with an all natural futon over a conventional mattress. And then maybe cover the futon with an all natural latex topper.
Oooh, now that's an idea. Would using a wool topper do as well too? Would that help reduce the amount of junk we were breathing in from our current mattress?
#17 of 42 Old 04-14-2008, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
A wool topper would help with having an extra layer between you and the chemicals, but IME it's not as constantly fluffy and just doesn't hold up as well for bedding. I have a wool pillow that needs to be constantly fluffed up- but DD2's latex topper is soft and comfy without any maintenance whatsoever.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#18 of 42 Old 04-15-2008, 09:26 AM

Darn. I hate to hear that it doesn't stay soft as well. I'm allergic to latex. It's a contact allergy, but I'd hate to risk investing in the latex and have the allergy develop into something more. I wonder if the organic cotton toppers require a Rx to get FR free.
#19 of 42 Old 04-15-2008, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

How long do you think mattresses off-gas? We're having a baby in a few weeks, and I'm wondering if I should be just as concerned about replacing our queen mattess as buying a new one for my daughter's room. Our queen is almost 10 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manonash View Post
I'm allergic to latex, so I probably should avoid those. I've also wondered too about comfort. I would hate to order a mattress without getting to try it out first. I wouldn't want to shell out the big bucks and then not be able to sleep well on it.
I know, that was my thing, buying w/o trying. But I figure I don't have a lot of choice here since there are no stores near me selling them. And supposedly the all-natural latex is much less likely to be allergenic than synthetic latex, but again, it's a lot of money to spend to maybe have a useless mattress. It's not exposed, though.

[QUOTE=tempestjewel;10967494]Have you looked at www.organicgrace.com? We just ordered from there last week, and its run by an MDC mama. She's running an earth day sale on mattresses this month (20% off!). We ordered the budget latex mattress (with a 4" latex core wrapped in pure wool and organic cotton) and it was only $480 on sale. We are on a super tight budget here, so I was thrilled to find a safe mattress for a fantastic price!QUOTE]

Thank you!! I'm going to check that out right now!
#20 of 42 Old 04-16-2008, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve's Wife View Post
How long do you think mattresses off-gas? We're having a baby in a few weeks, and I'm wondering if I should be just as concerned about replacing our queen mattess as buying a new one for my daughter's room. Our queen is almost 10 years old.
The concern with older mattresses and small babies is no longer off-gassing from the way it's made, but the gas produced from the interaction of bodily substances combined with the chemicals in the mattress and bacteria producing toxic gas. The older the bed is, the more of this gas is created, and the more toxic it is. If you're planning to co-sleep, I'd worry about your own mattress now, and get a topper for your DD's bed until you can get her a new mattress, too. If you're not planning to co-sleep, I'd be sure to get an organic crib mattress and get one for your DD as well, worry about yours later. YMMV.

#21 of 42 Old 04-16-2008, 10:10 AM

Are *all* Ikea mattresses in Canada retardant-free?

We got DD a big-girl bed from Ikea, and got the mattress with the 'least' foam in it we could, specifically to avoid retardants and chemicals and stuff. I didn't realize it might actually be retardant-free, which would make me even happier about our choice.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#22 of 42 Old 04-17-2008, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
The concern with older mattresses and small babies is no longer off-gassing from the way it's made, but the gas produced from the interaction of bodily substances combined with the chemicals in the mattress and bacteria producing toxic gas. The older the bed is, the more of this gas is created, and the more toxic it is. If you're planning to co-sleep, I'd worry about your own mattress now, and get a topper for your DD's bed until you can get her a new mattress, too. If you're not planning to co-sleep, I'd be sure to get an organic crib mattress and get one for your DD as well, worry about yours later. YMMV.
Do you have a source for this? I've also heard this but have not read anything scientific that really confirms it. Our queen sized mattress, 10 years old, is still quite comfortable, so I'd hate to scrape together $1500 that would better be used to pay off debt if the mattress really is OK. Ya know?
#23 of 42 Old 04-19-2008, 01:03 AM

the problem is not just the offgassing when it is new. when they offgas, these chemicals go right into womans breastmilk and into unborn babies blood. one of the ways these chemicals get into the body is not VOCs which get better with time, but SVOCs which actually get worse with time. This happen when the petroleum based foam in mattresses begins to break down. It becomes an airborne dust and settles on your floor. Each time you walk across the floor , you kick it up and breathe it in. They have found this is the greatest way the PBDEs are getting into a human body. A team went and vaccummed 75 houses across the country and every house had alarmingly high levels of PBDEs in them.
to have a truly healthy home we must get rid of the petroleum based foams, beginning with our bedrooms where we spend 1/3 of our lives. it may seem like a huge investment now but it is our families long term health that is at stake. and what is toxic to us adults is 15 times more toxic to a tiny baby. it might not be possible to run out and replace all these foams right now, but it is super important that when you do replace them, you buy organic and natural, without the PBDEs and petroluem foams.

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#24 of 42 Old 04-19-2008, 08:32 AM

We have been looking in to this ourselves for the past few months. We settled on a custom made, non-organic, local option.

We have a local mattress company that makes their own mattresses. With a "dr note" they will make one that is MUCH cheaper than an organic mattrees, but has no flame retardand and will leave out any foam, etc that you don't want. It is amazing!

Check your area, this might be a great option. They should be able to answer all your mattress questions. (Just avoid big box stores like Sleep Doctor & Art Van, etc...they don't know much at all!)
#25 of 42 Old 04-19-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve's Wife View Post
Do you have a source for this? I've also heard this but have not read anything scientific that really confirms it. Our queen sized mattress, 10 years old, is still quite comfortable, so I'd hate to scrape together $1500 that would better be used to pay off debt if the mattress really is OK. Ya know?
Start here.

But honestly if you google New Zealand crib wrap or New Zealand SIDS you'll find tons.

#26 of 42 Old 04-19-2008, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by talia rose View Post
the problem is not just the offgassing when it is new. when they offgas, these chemicals go right into womans breastmilk and into unborn babies blood. one of the ways these chemicals get into the body is not VOCs which get better with time, but SVOCs which actually get worse with time. This happen when the petroleum based foam in mattresses begins to break down. It becomes an airborne dust and settles on your floor. Each time you walk across the floor , you kick it up and breathe it in. They have found this is the greatest way the PBDEs are getting into a human body. A team went and vaccummed 75 houses across the country and every house had alarmingly high levels of PBDEs in them.
to have a truly healthy home we must get rid of the petroleum based foams, beginning with our bedrooms where we spend 1/3 of our lives. it may seem like a huge investment now but it is our families long term health that is at stake. and what is toxic to us adults is 15 times more toxic to a tiny baby. it might not be possible to run out and replace all these foams right now, but it is super important that when you do replace them, you buy organic and natural, without the PBDEs and petroluem foams.
That's good info. THe good news is that many companies have stopped putting PBDE's in their mattresses, so even if one cannot afford an organic mattress, they can still find one without PBDE's. I've been trying to find out how dangerous the other chemicals are, however, that are used in place of them. I'm not sure they're any better. Talking about conventionally treated mattresses, here.
#27 of 42 Old 04-19-2008, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Start here.

But honestly if you google New Zealand crib wrap or New Zealand SIDS you'll find tons.
Thanks, I guess I was just googling the wrong thing.
#28 of 42 Old 04-19-2008, 04:47 PM

On and off I've been looking into getting a new mattress and stumbled on the toxic gas hypothesis/theory. Like you, I questioned about sources of the info because most of them are from people selling mattress. This page http://www.chem-tox.com/beds/frame-beds.htm provides its source as "Archives of Environmental Health, 55(1):38-43, 2000." However, I haven't varified the source.
#29 of 42 Old 04-20-2008, 12:48 PM

the problem is that although mattress companies are required by law to pass the flame tests, there are NO REGULATIONS on what they use to do this with. no requirements on whether these chemicals cause cancer or other health problems. no testing needed. so whatever petroleum based chemical they are going to replace the PBDEs with will probably be just as nasty and toxic and after we are exposed to it for 20 years and it too is accumulating in mamas breast milk and our unborn babies blood and our environment, then they will figure out we have been poisoned again. it is very much like the BPA free plastics that are out now. everyone is scrambling to come up with a new chemical that is not PBDE or BPA but these new chemicals have never been studied long term on humans.

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

#30 of 42 Old 04-20-2008, 01:14 PM

you can find an article on the sids study here
http://organicgrace.com/node/250
it does refer to who did the study and when

organic mattresses are my business, because when i was pregnant with my second and researched standard mattresses, i felt strongly enough about the evidence to want to offer alternatives. i don't believe that every baby who sleeps on a toxic mattress can die of sids. i do believe there needs to be the right combination of these toxic gasses (from the mattress chemicals and body fluids mixing) and a compromised immune system. (which you don't always know your baby has) i do believe this can be aggravated by immunizations. and i do believe that long term exposure to these chemicals can cause other health problems including helping to mutate ones cells towards cancer. i also believe that babies bodies are about 15 times more susceptible to these toxins purely because of thier body size. and that being exposed to them while thier bodies and organs are still developing is harmful. i also think it's pretty sick that our unborn babies are already poisoned by these chemicals and i will do everything in my power to raise awareness and offer alternatives so that this stops.

did you know that when you buy a new toxic mattress and it offgasses into your mama body, these chemicals accumulate over time and the way most women rid themselves of their chemical load is to breastfeed a baby? yup, they go right out of you and into your baby. that said, the benefits of breastfeeding still FAR OUTWEIGH the risks from this. (in fact breastfeeding your baby is the best way to insure your baby has a healthy immune system) the answer is not to stop breastfeeding (the cows milk formula comes from is just as poisoned) the answer is to stop supporting an industry that does this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page