Help - bathroom stinks of little boy's pee!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-21-2003, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for ideas on how to get rid of the smell of pee in the bathroom. My 3 yr old is just learning to pee standing up into the toilet and of course half the time he misses!!!!!!!!! The result is puddles of pee around the base of the toilet - thankfully tiled floor (but moving next week to place with only lino around the toilet!!) I clean the toilet and surround daily, I've tried sprinkling bicarbonate of soda around and then washing with eco citrus cleaner but nothing takes the smell away, now even walking past the bathroom door it smells - yuk!!
Any ideas received gratefully!!!

Amulet, mate of Fergus, mother of Gaia (6wks) Odhran (3) and Ineke (5).
#2 of 12 Old 09-26-2003, 08:01 AM

PLEASE SOMEONE REPLY WITH A SOLUTION!!!!!
I too have this problem except i have 2 little boys. My bathroom stinks like crazy and i'm embarrassed for guests to use it. I clean it A LOT but even after scrubbing every surface--walls, entire toilet, floors, washing the rug--it still smells like pee!!
#3 of 12 Old 09-26-2003, 10:41 PM

I know this is not very *MDC* but I use Clorox Clean Up, and I spray it daily on the floor around the toilet, and I let it sit for like 10 minutes. I close the door, open the windows. Then I come in with a moist, old cloth diaper and just wipe the floor with the diaper with my foot. And then especially on the area where the tank meets the back of the seat. (like directly beneath the tank. It seems there is like a crevice there where it can get accumulated. So I spray it in there like 3 times a week with the bleach, and just let it sit and then pour some water there and sop it up with a towel.

I can't stand the smell, it makes me gag, and both my DH and 3 year old ds pee all over the place. I have no smell whatsoever. But no bleach for me = stinky bathroom. Blach.
#4 of 12 Old 09-26-2003, 10:58 PM

I agree--use a mixture of bleach and water in a spray bottle and spray all offending areas....then let it sit for at least 10 minutes or so, and then wipe off with a clean cloth saturated with warm water. The odor is from remaining germs that are living through your cleaning process--and bleach will kill the germs very effectively.

Also, as a side note--there is absolutely no reason why your son has to pee standing up. My 9 year old still doesn't! Of course he has a few times, he admitted it is too easy to miss and sitting down makes it full proof. My husband said he did not pee standing up till he was a teenager either. 3 years old is just too young to be doing this--it takes skill and height (to clear the toilet seat) and it will be a long time before he has either.
#5 of 12 Old 09-26-2003, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
have you tried an enzyme cleaner like bac-out (in your health food store or online)or nature's miracle (found in pet stores)? i don't have a son, but they work great on boy dog accidents and little girl accidents, too. the enzymes are supposed to neutralize the pee. give it a try and let us know if if works...

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#6 of 12 Old 10-18-2003, 02:05 PM

timely post.... i am about to order a gallon of bac-out and steam the carpets & wipe down everything in our downstairs bath. no i don't have a boy toddler, but i do live with a man. amazing how it gets everywhere, sigh. and how repairmen just go on in and relieve themselves without asking. YUK!
#7 of 12 Old 10-18-2003, 03:56 PM

This isn't very "natural" either, but I keep those clorox wipes in the bathroom so i can do quick cleans. My dh says he was never allowed to stand and pee as a boy, but we have let ours do it. My 6 year old now has to clean the toilet and bathroom floors every saturday all by himself. I mean scrub the toilet, too. All around the cracks and crevices.

I found that pee collects UNDERNEATH the toilet on the floor. Does that make sense? We spray cleaner in with the stream setting and let it sit for an hour or so. Then run a toothbrush around that. It's disgusting, but now my bathroom doesn't smell anymore. And, my 6 year old is getting much cleaner now that he has to scrub up all that pee.

Good Luck!

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#8 of 12 Old 10-18-2003, 05:32 PM

Having 2 boys who have yet to figure out how to have good aim what I do is wipe up daily, usualy in the evening, around the base and under the seat. But what I found that helps with the smell are the deo disks people use in the diaper pails. I keep 2 in the bathroom right behind the toilet and it really helps keep the urine smell down.
#9 of 12 Old 10-22-2003, 10:03 AM

we have lanolium and it does get down around the base and under the screw cap thing ect. gross. i use a mixture of water/basic-h (about 5 drops in a squirt bottle i think), and a micro terry towel from the automotive section at walmart. if just cleaning the toilet i use the spray, otherwise if whole bathroom i fill the sink with hot water and a few drops of basic-h (a shaklee product) and start with the mirror and work my way to where the last place i clean is the toilet (including the bowl by hand to get under the rim better, then i'll take a huge cup and scoop up the water and dump it in the toilet, and scrub with toilet brush were the water is. i don't get smelly bathroom if i clean 2x's a week but can actually get away with once if i wasn't so anal.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#10 of 12 Old 10-24-2003, 07:20 AM

bac-out comes to our rescue every time. it is FANTASTIC!!!!!
#11 of 12 Old 11-26-2003, 04:10 PM

Maybe try an enzyme cleaner? You can get them that use natural enzymes to break down the urine. I get it at the Pet Store. I just went to look and see what the brand is, but I'm all out.

I never have this problem in my bathroom, I scrub once a week and it stays smelling just fine. My son is 2 and a half and usually sits to use his little potty, but once in a while he stands up. Since he's not tall enough, I just have him stand on my feet. We wipe up any misses on the seat or floor immediately and no smell problems here.
#12 of 12 Old 11-27-2003, 12:54 PM

There is a wonderful all natural product that eliminates odors it's from the Bi-O-Kleen company and I think it's called Bac-Out. Anyway here is the link. http://www.bi-o-kleen.com/laundry.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page