Dry, Scaly Patches on Face?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2008, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So ever since I had my DS, I've been struggling with these dry, scaly, flaky, sometimes itchy patches on my face - they're mostly in between my eyes (bridge of nose), on either side of nostrils, and then on my chin. It looks bad - reddish and flaky and gross. I can exfoliate and moisturize and then it is better for that day (no more flakes but still blotchy/reddish). By morning its scaly and weird again. I never had anything like this before DS. He's 3.5 so this seems to be a permanent skin change. I am baffled - what's going on and how do I fix it??

Thanks.

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 12:47 PM

I have many different skin issues... and have tried so many different solutions... sigh... My skin changed drastically after the birth of my child - which I'm sure signifies some underlying hormonal or nutritional needs. I'm trying to address those. Drinking lots of extra water, making sure the humidity in my house was high enough (but not too high), taking a good organic vitamin with a probiotic base (New Chapter Organics) and eating extra flax seed (and a good diet in general plus exercise) all really seemed to help.

And I have finally found a routine that works for my extremely irritated, sensitive skin. I wash my face with pure jojoba oil and also use a few drops to moisturize afterwards. I can't say enough good things about this. It makes my skin feel so smooth and normal.

Also once a week, I do a mask with organic raw honey (and whatever else I feel like throwing in there at the time.)

And if I need a little extra help (which I do right now), I have been using this great natural, paraben-free, no cuelty, 100% vegetarian moisturizer from Derma e. It's called Psorzema® Natural Relief Crème.
You can buy it online from Amazon or at Whole Foods, and probably other places, too. I put this on (on days I need extra help with the redness and scaling and itchiness) AFTER washing and moisturizing with jojoba oil.
http://www.dermae.net/cgi-bin/fccgi....n%20treatments

Good luck - I know firsthand how frustrating this can be.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:19 PM

Sounds like eczema from your description.

I've been fighting it my entire life and the only thing that seems to work at preventing it is taking probiotics twice a day. I buy one that's in caplets and is called Primal Defense. There are lots of other brands out there.

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2008, 05:47 PM

I had that a few months ago. I use some coconut oil on them, and after about a week or two, they are gone

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
Old 04-18-2008, 02:40 PM

are you taking a multivitamin? could be a zinc deficiency.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm I don't think its eczema. My mom has that and I don't have that underlying red scaliness. This is more like the kind of dandruff flaking you get on your scalp but its on my face. (Gross, I know!) I had a sample of Elidel cream that I used on it last week and that seemed to help. What is Elidel formulated for exactly? I forgot...

I could take a multivit.

I am really wondering if its somehow tied to yeast... Would that make any sense? That would go with simple carb and sugar cravings, right? Got plenty of those!

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazy101 View Post
I had that a few months ago. I use some coconut oil on them, and after about a week or two, they are gone
I think coconut oil might be the cure of all ills! I hear great things about it. I'll have to get some.

Why is coconut oil so effective for so many things - anyone know?

Old 04-18-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniperMama View Post
Hmmm I don't think its eczema. My mom has that and I don't have that underlying red scaliness. This is more like the kind of dandruff flaking you get on your scalp but its on my face. (Gross, I know!) I had a sample of Elidel cream that I used on it last week and that seemed to help. What is Elidel formulated for exactly? I forgot...
I think Elidel is used for eczema. So maybe that's what it is? Although I bet elidel treats dry skin in general...
Old 04-21-2008, 01:34 PM

I thought Elidel had been banned in Canada... but I seem to be mistaken, Health Canada just put a huge warning on it:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media...2005_31_e.html

I did an Elidel treatment for eczema when it first became available in Canada (prior to the warning). You're supposed to use it everyday for 30 days even if the eczema is already gone. It "cured" me of it for about a year and a half. Then it came back.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

:

I had no idea! Oh my good gracious!

So the fact that its been better since I used it that one time (literally 1 application from the sample tube 1 time!) indicates it may actually be eczema?

So what else can I do for this stuff? Its yucky and itchy!

I've actually tried to Psorzema cream but it really didn't seem to help much...

Thanks.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:43 PM

I also have the dry patches on the bridge of my nose and at beside the nostrils. I was hoping it was just a winter dry skin thing... I have had some success with moisturizing with unscented Badger Balm, but it the dryness and flaking doesn't go away permanently.

Subbing to see whether anyone comes up with a solution that works for you! (And sending warm thoughts in the meanwhile, as I know how annoying it is to have these persistent dry patches! Hugs, mama!)
Old 04-22-2008, 11:31 AM

I have had success with coconut oil put on my face at night. It seems to get rid of the flakes, and it helps soften the dry patches without any irritation.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

So I talked to my dr. today and she said its Seborrheic Dermatitis. She said I should use Selsen Blue on these areas in the shower and a 1% Hydrocortisone Cream when its really bad.

Anyone know how Seborrheic Dermatitis is caused and what else (preferably a little more natural!) I could do about it?

Thanks!

User Tag List