I want to go more green....household cleaning products! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 04-19-2008, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At the moment, I buy 'eco friendly' household cleaning products... So intsead of me going on buying these products that come in plastic bottles, I might as well stop - make my own and just reuse that plastic bottle! lol

At the moment, I am slowly making the switch....I love bicarbonate soda! - I use it in my bathroom, I use it for my teeth, and I am not using it for skincare (bye bye blackheads! lol)....

Now I know with vinegar, this can make a super all around the house cleaner...but lets face it...vinegar smells...welll....vinegary! lol

So - does anyone have a link to some recipes I can use to make some nice smelling natural household cleaners?

That would be ace...and I bet would save money too!

Thanks!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#2 of 27 Old 04-20-2008, 12:26 AM

okay no links but some personal experience. I just bought the big $30 bag of soapnuts and between daily loads of laundry and making liquid soap out of it I have barely made a dent in it. I use vinegar and water with some tea tree oil in it for all purpose cleaner(with a little baking soda for scrubbing)The smell lasts for all of 10 minutes-if you really hate it add lavendar Eo and it smells yummy. So basically I have spent a grand total of about $35 for all my cleaning, laundry, and most of my skincare and it should last for about 6 months-not bad
#3 of 27 Old 04-20-2008, 07:15 AM

I could've written your post about a year ago. I dappled in making my own cleaners but never really fell in love. Then I found Shaklee! The secret is to only buy the BasicH (and a set of spray bottles if you want the cute ladybug & sunflower & butterfly . This will make about a year's worth of All-Purpose Cleaner, Degreaser & Window Cleaner for $17 ~ $10 if you don't buy the bottles. There *is* shipping but if you convince a few friends to try it out, you can split that cost. Some of the other Shaklee products are a bit expensive but you can't beat the price for just the BasicH...and it works great. (and while you're checking out the website, look at the scour off...ground cherry pits! The yummiest way to scrub the bathroom tiles.)

I'm not a distributor, even though you'd think I was by my Shaklee-love talk. Here's a link to their website....

http://www.shaklee.net/Lapointe

stephanie asl.gif

#4 of 27 Old 04-20-2008, 05:08 PM

I use a 7th generation all purpose cleaner for most things (tho I've just heard they are high in dioxins ???). I also have a toilet bowl ecover cleaner. I use 7th Gen for the dishwasher and ecover for the hand dishes. For laundry I use a dash of Dr Bronner's added to some water b4 putting in laundry. If things are really dirty I'll add some baking soda or some vinegar or for occasional things some non-chlorine bleach. Ecover makes an excellent stain remover btw.

Having only 2 general cleaners saves loads. I use the all purpose on mirrors, counters, toilet seats etc. Then the more scrubby type I use in the toiilet and shower. Making my own laundry detergent from Dr Bronner's saves a ton. You seriously only need maybe 2 tsp for a load of wash as it's super concentrated.
#5 of 27 Old 04-22-2008, 11:33 AM

I also use shaklee. Vinegar works nice in the shower for water build up stains, counters, glass, cut urine smells on toilet ... I also have a spray bottle of water mixed with drops of essential oil, usually lavendar, that I use to wipe with.

http://MotheringByNatureCenter.comsaynovax.gifnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpggoorganic.jpgwinner.jpg

#6 of 27 Old 04-22-2008, 12:27 PM

I just add Lemon EO to my baking soda/vinegar cleaning mix

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#7 of 27 Old 04-22-2008, 12:51 PM

My favorite cleaner is 1 gall water, mixed with 2 tsp TTO and 1-2 tsp castile soap. I mix it up in a used milk jug and then pour into a spray bottle. I use it for almost everything. I use baking soda mixed with a little bit of water (to make a paste) to clean anything that needs 'scrubbing and is easy to rinse (tubs, sinks, toilet bowls).

I still use vinegar and water too but the above is my favorite cleaner.
#8 of 27 Old 04-22-2008, 03:50 PM

The water, TTO and castile soap is my favourite too. I use it for everything! In the bathroom I also use vinegar. Super easy and cheap.
#9 of 27 Old 04-22-2008, 05:34 PM

I like Shaklee too!

I bought the Basic H and bottles. It is awesome! The window cleaner (dilution of Basic H) is just amazing. It works better than anything else I've ever used.
#10 of 27 Old 04-29-2008, 08:40 AM

Are Soapnuts and/or Shaklee available in stores or only through websites?

Thanks.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#11 of 27 Old 04-29-2008, 12:36 PM

subbing :

sweetheart to b , mama to G , W , and expecting : baby 3! in April 2010
#12 of 27 Old 04-30-2008, 01:12 PM

I'd like to recommend the book "Better Basics for the Home." Many great cleaning recipes for home and body.

It's way better than Clean Home Clean Planet - which recommends mixing baking soda and vinegar in the same bottle (they neutralize each other in the bottle, they do NOT give the spray double cleaning power.)

Aven
#13 of 27 Old 07-31-2008, 12:18 PM

For those with Shaklee: Is it all natural ingreients? I'm looking only for the Basic-H cleaner.

I'm thinking of swithching to them from Melaleuca, and want to know if it's that much better.
If not I'll try the vinegar mixes.....

Also, regarding the soap nuts: When I finish my batch of detergent about another month's worth I want to try it to swith over to them. What are the best companies, or are they all the same?

Also is the soapnuts shampoo that good? Or would the California Oraganics or other organic companies be better?

I'm not into making my own shampoo yet!

Thanks so much,
Ana

Mom to 4 Boys
#14 of 27 Old 07-31-2008, 12:38 PM

I've been using melaleuca products that I get from my friend who cleans houses professionally. But now I'm looking at getting this.

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages...ontv.html?gid=

You can't really get more natural than water and Costco has it for $129.99.
#15 of 27 Old 07-31-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avendesora View Post
I'd like to recommend the book "Better Basics for the Home." Many great cleaning recipes for home and body.

Thank you for the info! I looked this book up on Amazon and read the reviews. It looks great! I just placed a hold at my local library for this book. I can't wait to read it. I would love to make all of my own healthy, green cleaners at home. :
#16 of 27 Old 07-31-2008, 05:02 PM

I am a Shaklee distributor and have been for about 6 yrs. I love shaklee. There products are great and Shaklee has been in buisness for over 50 yrs. I love there cleaning line the GET clean line. Basic H can be used on everything from windows to fruit wash to laundry (stains it works GREAT) pets to repell fleas, Mosquito repellant household degreaser and on and on. The laundry soap last forever I have a family of 6 and I pay 10.95 for 32 oz that last me about 4 month. I use 1 1/2 pumps in my laundry also I will add a 1/4 scoop of nature bright if things are bad stained or even a few drops of basic H. We also sell a disinfectant called Basic G which kills for 3 days in surfaces comapred to 3 hours of bleach. I even use basic H in my house plants you wouldnt believe how they grow.

I am offering a packet of info for anyone interested in Shaklee. I have price comparison sheets to.

Shaklee is the only company to have the landmark study.
http://www.landmarkstudy.com

if there is anything I can answer for you please let me know.

blessings
amy
#17 of 27 Old 07-31-2008, 10:51 PM

I have the book Clean Home, Clean Planet and love it. Everything in there is so simple. I have also heard that Organic Housekeeping is good.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#18 of 27 Old 08-01-2008, 01:26 AM

I buy the soapnuts from Maggies Pureland. I haven't tried washing my hair with it. I switched right from Melalueca to making my own cleaner and it is MUCH cheaper.
#19 of 27 Old 08-06-2008, 05:34 PM

okay, i'm just starting to go green and this is what i've tried...

charlie's soap (get mine for $13 with s/h from http://www.naturalneighborshop.com
dr. bronners (many uses, some i like and some i don't) - just found out that you can get it cheap at vitacost.com
vinegar (i've been using it forever. love it)
california baby
just got some bac out from biokleen
just got some kd gold today - can't wait to try it

i'll have to think of what else.

i recommend the database at skindeep http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com/ and debra's list at /http://www.debraslist.com/

sorry, i'm in a bit of a hurry. more later!

There are more suggestions in my blog...
My Journey to Green
#20 of 27 Old 08-06-2008, 10:30 PM

Ditto many of the others: homemade laundry soap (I add a splash of Seventh Generation to extra dirty loads) vinegar in the rinse, club soda on my windows (works GREAT) baking soda, Dr. Bronner's, tea tree oil. On my furniture I use water, olive oil, vinegar & lemon e.o. Love that! I scrub my kitchen sink with Borax & soap.
#21 of 27 Old 08-07-2008, 01:49 AM

oh, i forgot to mention healing-scents.com. I found them thru the skin deep database. i've ordered a bunch of samples. she has everything you could imagine! i could spend a lot of money there.
#22 of 27 Old 08-07-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaMommy View Post
oh, i forgot to mention healing-scents.com. I found them thru the skin deep database. i've ordered a bunch of samples. she has everything you could imagine! i could spend a lot of money there.
I just ordered a bunch from there on Monday. I am very excited to get it!!!!
#23 of 27 Old 08-09-2008, 08:39 PM

My killer combination for grease and germs:

In a squirty bottle mix together:
40% Water
50% White Vinegar
10% Lemon Juice
5-10 drops teatree oil.

Squirt the surface you want to clean with the formula, soak a cloth in warm water, ring it our and sprinkly a teaspoon of baking soda on to it then squirt with the formula on it, and wipe over the surface that you wish to clean.

Little Acorns to Mighty Oaks Non-Toxic Products for children. The UK home to Klean Kanteen, Natural Nattursutten pacifiers,The Safe Sippy, SPF30 Badger Sunscreen and much more!
#24 of 27 Old 08-11-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyseed View Post
My killer combination for grease and germs:

In a squirty bottle mix together:
40% Water
50% White Vinegar
10% Lemon Juice
5-10 drops teatree oil.

Squirt the surface you want to clean with the formula, soak a cloth in warm water, ring it our and sprinkly a teaspoon of baking soda on to it then squirt with the formula on it, and wipe over the surface that you wish to clean.
Does the lemon juice go bad? I use water and vinegar a LOT and one time put some lemon juice in it, but was afraid it was go bad.

Where do you get your TTO?
#25 of 27 Old 08-11-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaMommy View Post
Does the lemon juice go bad? I use water and vinegar a LOT and one time put some lemon juice in it, but was afraid it was go bad.

Where do you get your TTO?
Honestly, I neer refrigerate my lemon juice. I only use it for cleaning, not for food. I don't think it's gone bad as it seems to work just fine for me. I don't use it in a mixture anymore (just personal preference), but I use it to cut grease in my pans and it works beautifully.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#26 of 27 Old 08-12-2008, 03:28 PM

I also use soapnuts. We just switched recently. My mom got me a box of Maggie's soapnuts at her health food store and shipped them to me! My health food store had never heard of them. We're looking to get more -- hopefully pretty cheap off of ebay. Of course, Maggie's are certified no child labor and all of that. Can't remember if they're organic/certified organic.

I make the soapnut liquid and use it for handsoap, body soap, shampoo, etc. I like it so far!

Learning & growing & changing everyday!
#27 of 27 Old 08-20-2008, 05:03 PM

Okay y'all, I am so excited. I came across Enviro-one online and gave it a try. Holy moly! It has like a thousand uses. I went around the house trying it on everything. It's non-toxic (great for MCS) and is removes 99% of e. coli and salmonella. I opened the oven door and sprayed some (5:1 ratio) on the burnt on yucky stuff and left it for a few minutes (no fumes, btw). When I came back and wiped it up, most of it came right off without even scrubbing. I wasn't even trying that hard because I was just playing around with it (wasn't really in the mood to clean the oven).

I've also used it to wash my dogs, as a stain remover, in foaming hand soap pumps, the light solution (10:1) for windows, soap scum!!(5:1), and ... I think that's about it. Next I'm going to try it in the washer and in the dishwasher. We'll see. I haven't had much luck finding a good non-toxic dishwashing detergent. I tried that palmolive eco and it leaves a white film on everything.

Anyway, I think I'm going to buy stock in this. Seriously. I may put a banner on my blog. :

Of course, I'll never let go of my vinegar and charlie's soap. Those will always be my favs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page