mattresses - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-30-2008, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am currently trying to navigate the complicated world of latex and organic mattresses! I would like to buy an organic or latex mattress because I don't want my new baby to sleep on our old yucky toxic one. It's time to buy a bigger mattress anyway and we're moving soon, so now it the time (and plus we're having the new babe!!!) We don't want to spend $6000 - economics is definately an issue.

There are a lot of choices. What brand mattresses do people own and love?
and
Is there a chance that I will be able to purchase a mattress without toxic fire retardant in the USA?

Your recommendations are greatly appreciated !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 04-30-2008, 10:43 AM

I don't have an organic mattress, but I remember reading an article in Dwell magazine about them a year or so ago. If I remember correctly they had reviews of ones in a wide range of prices, so that might be something to check.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
#3 of 16 Old 04-30-2008, 11:25 AM

....just went through this myself.

there are a lot of good latex mattresses out there... there is a retailer here on MDC www.organicgrace.com (?) i think, and she has a great deal on organic latex mattresses. b/c of shipping, i am buying a savvyrest from another MDC mom. you can pm me w/ ?'s.

hth and good luck.
#4 of 16 Old 04-30-2008, 11:42 AM

moved to natural home

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#5 of 16 Old 04-30-2008, 01:14 PM

I just recently took the plunge and got one from this retailer:

http://www.theorganicmattressstore.com/oms.html

I went with them for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that I'm close enough to drive down there and try the bed out. I got their least expensive 'private label' mattress.

I'm very happy with it. It took two months to get it delivered after the order, which was a month longer than they told me when I purchased it, so that was inconvenient. But they were nice about it, kept in touch, offered me a refund and it's an assembled-to-order product made locally so I can get past the wait.

Two things that mitigate the price are a)it doesn't need a box-spring (we have it on a platform bed) and b)it has a 20 year warranty and is supposed to last longer than that. They are durable.

As long as you are not allergic to wool, you will have no problem getting a chemical-free mattress in the US; the wool covers satisfy the flame-retardant safety regulations.

I love the mattress and would buy it again. It took a couple years for me to get the place that I wanted to spend that kind of money, but I do think it is well worth it.
#6 of 16 Old 04-30-2008, 07:57 PM

i love our mattress. we got it from shepherd's dream and it is all wool and has no fire retardants in it at all.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#7 of 16 Old 05-01-2008, 03:58 AM

The site I have seen with the lowest prices on Talalay latex mattresses is here:

www.foambymail.com

I haven't bought one yet, but they look great to me.
#8 of 16 Old 05-01-2008, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

thank you for the replies

excuse my ignorance, but are these mattresses any different comfort-wise? not that we have the most comfortable mattress now, it's older and saggy, but I was just wondering if they tended to be firmer, or less firm or anything like that ... we would like to try before we buy, but that might or might not be possible (although we live in NYC, driving distance to many places and not out in he distant country. . . . )
#9 of 16 Old 05-01-2008, 12:15 PM

Moonfroggy I have been looking at that mattress for a while now. I'm torn between it and a latex for dc.

Did you get a 5 or 6" mattress? Do you think it will get really compressed? Did you get the latex slats to go under it?

I'm thinking if I got it for dc now he would be fine without the latex but might get them as he got older.

But when I was looking at the site last night there seems to be a bit more work to keeping the mattress in great condition - airing outside, rotating etc. and the latex looks better after reading that.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might share
#10 of 16 Old 05-01-2008, 02:37 PM

i have the skinny mattress the latex slats and a mattress pad. right now the mattress pad is in the living room airing out and i am laying on the bed without it and i can't feel the slats at all. i think it is more comfy with the matress pad but definitly comfy enough without it. when my son gets older we will be getting him a bed from shepherd's dream and it will probably, just be the skinny mattress on wooden slats and then as he gets older the latex and a mattress pad. i love this bed and so does my partner. it is the most expensive thing we have ever bought but we are both very glad we got it. i am thinking about getting myself a wool pillow for mothers day!

#11 of 16 Old 05-16-2008, 11:31 AM

Thanks moonfroggy. I am determined to finally get a mattress ordered this weekend. It is taking me forever

Did you try a latex mattress before? I'm wondering how the wool compares comfort wise.

Do you think the wool mattress needs all of the airing and turning? I'm not good with remembering to do things like that so I worry that I won't and the mattress will get yucky.
#12 of 16 Old 05-16-2008, 04:00 PM

i have not tried a latex mattress out so i can't compare the difference in how they feel. i have not aired my whole mattress at all yet and have had it around 6 months. i turn it when i change the sheets it is not that hard to turn and i have aired out the mattress pad a few times. i think if you live someplace thats very humid you may want to air out more. i would like to air out our mattress more but my lo takes naps on it throughout the day and i'm not sure where he would sleep while it was airing out. honestly it feels comfy and i think it is ok that it has not aired out. i will probably air it out next time we go out of town for a few days. one thing i discovered last night is that in a heat wave our mattress stays comfortably cool all night long!

#13 of 16 Old 05-17-2008, 11:40 PM

Thanks moonfroggy! I think I'm going to go for it. I know there were other threads on here where people had a mattress from shepherd's dream but I can't find them
#14 of 16 Old 05-17-2008, 11:49 PM

I bought a wool bed from Shephred's dream. I found it too firm, but I didn't buy the wool topper and the latex they recommended. I'm sure it would be much more comfortable with those. I sleep well on my back but when I nurse side lying long time, I have pressure points. If you are comfortable with futon mattresses, it would be fine. But if you are used to spring mattress, it might feel too firm without the topper and latex strips.
I am also going to buy a mattress for my toddler. I am torn between the latex and the wool bed. I think a wool futon would be good for a kid, but I want to try a latex too. I don't even know which size should I get, twin or double?
#15 of 16 Old 05-18-2008, 12:13 AM

Thanks Sora

I'm in Canada too. I have researched this to the point I'm sick of it, but have narrowed my selection to Shepherd's Dream wool mattress, http://www.essereorganics.com/shop/ or http://www.inbedorganics.com/ . I haven't tried a latex before and I'm wondering about the difference.

I love wool so I'm leaning that way. It is for my toddler too.
#16 of 16 Old 05-18-2008, 12:18 AM

We're anxiously awaiting a new latex mattress from www.sleepez.com. Another MDC mama recommended it to me. We're buying a twin for dd, and it was $775 plus $75 shipping. You buy them in layers, so you control the firmness! It's all zipped up into a wool cover, which has no fire retardants, since wool is naturally fire retardant. I can't wait! If we like it, I plan on buying one for my ds too.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page