How can I get the pee smell out of my couch?/ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-18-2008, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My four year old has peeing issues and our couch is taking the brunt of it What do you all recommend for getting the smell out?

I dont have the attachments for our steamer to really deep clean it so I'm thinking something I could spray on and let soak in and scrub off? I dont know

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#2 of 8 Old 05-18-2008, 12:43 AM

Scrthe new spot immedeatly with a wet rag with soap and a few drops of TTO. Bathe the old spots in straight up rubbing alcohol. WE have had some EC misses and the TTo does the trick for right away. WE had a cat that peed really ba don the couch when he was sick once. My groomer friend reccomended the rubbing alc.

Sarah
#3 of 8 Old 05-18-2008, 01:28 AM

Sprinkle it with baking soda, let it sit, then vacuum up an hour or two later. You might have to do it several times!
#4 of 8 Old 05-18-2008, 02:13 AM

We had a cat pee on our leather couch many years ago and we can still smell the pee. The problem was that it has a split in the center due to it being dual reclining, so the pee is actually on the inside of the couch, down the center.

I have put an old stocking full of baking soda inside the couch, we have scrubed it (after it happened), I have sprayed fel-a-way, and used an enzymatic cleaner. Nothing has helped so far. It always gets worse in the summer, which is coming up.

We definately want to replace it. Funds are just tight, so we just deal with the smell I guess. I'll have to try the rubbing alcohol. I just can't get to the area without tipping the couch over.
#5 of 8 Old 05-18-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliebassoon View Post
Sprinkle it with baking soda, let it sit, then vacuum up an hour or two later. You might have to do it several times!
You can do this with Borax, too. I think it takes urine smells out just a tad quicker (the box I have lists how to get urine smells out of mattresses).

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#6 of 8 Old 05-18-2008, 02:21 PM

A friend of mine uses vodka to get cat pee out of the carpet, she swears by it. I would think it would work the same with kid pee on the couch.

femalesling.GIF semi-crunchy foster mom to A - 11mo

#7 of 8 Old 05-18-2008, 06:53 PM

Water with a bit o vinegar in it. Use a rag and rub it clean. It works to get rid of the puke smell too!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#8 of 8 Old 05-18-2008, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas! I've tried the baking soda and vinegar but the pee is so far down into the cushion that I dont think it's going to help. I read somewhere that rubbing alcohol works so I'm thinking of pouring that on my couch in various spots.....at least if it soaks in, it is antibacterial and will dry as such and not add to the problem....oy......I feel like my house is one big toilet bowl!

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page