Alternative to Pledge to clean wood furniture? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-28-2008, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a natural glass cleaner from 7th generation but really don't think it should be used on wood furniture, thinking it will strip away the finish.
Is there a natural alternative to pledge? I went looking at the local organic/natural home store & wasn't sure what to get.
Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-28-2008, 05:54 PM

I mix Almond oil, a tiny bit of TTO, lemongrass EO and a little bit of Dr. Bronner's unscented in a spray bottle and use that on my wood. I don't have any actual measurements, though, as I sort of "eye ball" it.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#3 of 8 Old 06-28-2008, 07:40 PM

All I ever use is a microfiber cloth. (And I got a bundle of 12 on e-Bay for $14--labelled for car wash use.) I use it dry to dust any surface, and put a bit of water on it to scrub off any messes my DD may put on our dining room table. Can't get much lower-impact than that!
#4 of 8 Old 06-29-2008, 10:56 AM

I use the recipe from Clean House, Clean Planet:

Put 2 tsp. Olive Oil in a 16 oz bottle. Add 20 drops of lemon oil. Add 1/4 cup of white vinegar. Fill the rest of the bottle with distilled water. Shake well.

I have to shake it each time before I spray it, but it works great!

On wood furniture I use this:

3/4 cup olive oil in an 8 oz squirt bottle. Then add 1/4 cup vinegar. Then add 1/4 tsp of lemon oil. Shake well. I dribble it onto a rag, and wipe it that way. Works great!
#5 of 8 Old 06-30-2008, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I've heard that you can use beeswax, which I intend to try once I run out of the pledge (I'm defenitely a waste not want not girl). I know that Method makes a wood polisher as well, and if I'm not mistaken Murphy's is all natural.
#6 of 8 Old 06-30-2008, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions. I had gone to the store & our local health place had 7th generation but nothing that looked suitable for wood. Off to another store to check stuff o8ut & or make my own
#7 of 8 Old 07-01-2008, 07:10 PM

For year now I have successfully used just a damp microfiber cloth. This works great. If your wood is truly dry, you can then wipe it down with a little mineral oil, then massage it in and wipe off any excess. This restores the finish nicely.
#8 of 8 Old 07-01-2008, 11:29 PM

I use microfiber cloths for dusting and Method for actual cleaning. The Method smells yummy!

User Tag List