hubby hates TTO! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-06-2008, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently started using tea tree oil for a variety of things. Dh hates the smell of it, though, and thinks we should stop using it. He says it smells similar to turpentine and even though turnpentine is natural doesn't mean we should use it. He has somewhat of a science background whereas I have none.

Any ideas how I convince him to keep using it? Any thoughts on his comparison to turpentine?
#2 of 17 Old 07-06-2008, 08:05 PM

Well if he's scientific he should know that argument isn't logical at all. It's the same as saying something like, "Well, this artificial flavoring smells and tastes similar to the real thing so we should trust that it's ok and keep using it" or "This broccoli smells sorta like poo when we steam it so it must be too much like feces to eat, throw it out". Doesn't make sense.

I am sure there is some research on TTO you can dig up. But he's probably just trying to give weight to some argument when really he just doesn't like the smell.

For disinfecting, there is evidence that using a dual spray of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide (one after the other, not in the same bottle) is as effective as bleach. No, it's not going to smell pleasant either but maybe it won't have that certain scent he's reacting to with distaste.
#3 of 17 Old 07-06-2008, 08:08 PM

If it's for disinfecting you can try grapeseed extract, too. I'm not fond of the smell of TTO myself, although I do have some in the first aid kit.
#4 of 17 Old 07-06-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabonder View Post
I recently started using tea tree oil for a variety of things. Dh hates the smell of it, though, and thinks we should stop using it. He says it smells similar to turpentine and even though turnpentine is natural doesn't mean we should use it. He has somewhat of a science background whereas I have none.

Any ideas how I convince him to keep using it? Any thoughts on his comparison to turpentine?
I just told my DH that I found his other wife online. I swear we must be married to the same man. My DH has said the same exact thing, word for word

What I do is usually just add a little scented EO to anything I am using TTO with to mask it. He hasn't noticed or said anything since.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#5 of 17 Old 07-08-2008, 07:25 PM

Just bought some TTO that i'm planning on using for a bug repellent solution. What else can i use it for. just wondering. Thanks so much
#6 of 17 Old 07-08-2008, 07:30 PM

I hate the smell, I think it's utterly vile. When used as a disinfectant, it's got to be pretty concentrated, and the odor really persists. It hits the back of my throat and makes me ill. I have some, but rarely use it.

It can kill cats, by the way. It's very toxic to them. It should be used with caution.
#7 of 17 Old 07-09-2008, 06:38 PM

I love the smell and am glad my dh has never said anything.:
#8 of 17 Old 07-09-2008, 08:39 PM

I use the TEENIEST bit. It goes sooooo far, and is VERY strong. But the scent is gone quickly. So, as long as you do it a couple hours before he comes home, you should be fine.

Hey, ya know, there are studies out there that show that TTO and Lavendar are VERY bad for boys and men, because of their estrogen-evoking quality. Studies that show boys growing breasts when they were exposed to these particular essetial oils. Maybe your husband's body is being intuitive? Because of these studies, I actually stopped buying ANY shampoos for dH with TTO or lavendar. I do, however, still clean with them -- and use them myself occasionally.
#9 of 17 Old 07-09-2008, 09:29 PM

I hate the smell b/c I used to use it for cleaning my diapers--so it smells like poopy diaper to me. My mom lended me her TTO chapstick once and I almost puked.

sarah

just thought I'd share

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#10 of 17 Old 07-10-2008, 02:55 AM

DH can't stand the smell of TTO either. I don't *like* it but I can stand it. I agree with a suggestion in a previous post of adding an EO to try and mask the smell or atleast cut down on how strong the TTO smell is.

Melanie
#11 of 17 Old 07-10-2008, 02:27 PM

I personally don't worry about the 'study' that raised issues about boys & those EOs, the study sample was far too small to be statistically significant and they did not take into account other possible sources of exposure. There were a lot of criticisms of the method of the study and the consensus is that much more research would need to be done, in a much more professional way, to be able to make any definite statements about the effects of lavender/tto on boys, if any exists.

Oh, I always add Sweet Orange eo to my TTO counter spray, it helps with cutting grease and I think the combination smells great!
#12 of 17 Old 07-10-2008, 03:27 PM

I use TTO for acne and other skin issues, but I'm not about the wave it all over the house. The smell of it can be overkill fast and doesn’t fade away (unlike vinegar). It smells like hospital to me.

DP loves TTO but only uses it if he needs it for his skin.
#13 of 17 Old 07-10-2008, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Not only was that study very small, but they weren't testing straight TTO or LO, but rather products that contained them- without disclosing the other ingredients in those products or even naming the products so others could research the specific ingredients. Nor did they tell us what the boys started using in their place, or what other changes were initiated at the same time as discontinuing the products.

That disclaimer aside, what exactly are you using TTO for? I use it straight on pimples or athlete's foot, and use TTO containing soaps to minimize pimples. I don't really use it for anything else. I certainly dont' use TTO scented products for general household cleaning.

It's not a great disinfectant unless it's very concentrated- for cleaning solutions I generally use lavendar or peppermint, or skip the fragrance altogether.

There are other essentail oils (EOs) available that can take the place of TTO in many applications. If you share what you use the TTO for, we can help you figure out what alternative EOs to use in its place, or even what natural items other than EOs could work for that purpose.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#14 of 17 Old 07-10-2008, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I sometimes brush my teeth with tea tree oil and baking soda. My husband has various harsh and uncomplimentary things to say about the smell of it. "Oh god you were using that oil again, weren't you?" Then he compares the odor to rotting corpses, fecal matter, etc., and how he'd rather be smelling those things.

I mostly use TTO medicinally. I swab it on my cracked heels, I swab it in my throat if I am sick, I sometimes brush my teeth with it. It tastes worse than it smells.
#15 of 17 Old 07-10-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
It tastes worse than it smells.
Gods help me. I would die.
#16 of 17 Old 07-10-2008, 04:41 PM

I can't breathe and get violently ill around the stuff myself.
#17 of 17 Old 07-11-2008, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting all the husbands that despise TTO! I hear it raved on so much hear that I thought it was the end all, be all.

I've mostly been using it for pimples, trying to reduce the cloth diaper odors in the diaper pail and was planning to use it as a disinfectant until I got the no on that. Any ideas for good alternatives then? It sounds like grapeseed extract for a disinfectant?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page