Has anyone tried anything from Oyin Handmade? - Mothering Forums
1 2 
Natural Body Care > Has anyone tried anything from Oyin Handmade?
Maeve's Avatar Maeve 05:10 PM 07-16-2008
I would really like to try a couple of their products but yikes, the shipping is almost as much as the 3 things I wanted to order. :
If they are really worth it though, I'll suck it up and pay it.

BTW, I wanted to get some honeytint, Juices & Berries, and Funk Butter.

ETA: Oooops, when I went to check out, it gave me a lower option. (blush)

FiddleMama's Avatar FiddleMama 05:25 PM 07-16-2008
I tried the funk butter and it gave me a really bad rash. And also took several weeks to receive because they hand make everything in small batches. Which is a great thing, but something to anticipate when you're ordering.

I've heard wonderful things about the funk butter from other people so I was sad that my skin was too sensitive for it.
paisleypoet's Avatar paisleypoet 08:02 PM 07-16-2008
I have been using the Funk Butter for more than a year and absolutely love it. It does burn though if I put it on after shaving. I have used the honey lip balm, which was nice but overpriced, and the shampoo bar, which didn't work at all for my hair.

My friend and I usually order our Funk Butter at the same time to save on shipping. I wouldn't just order one thing, as it is really high. And it takes a couple of weeks. But I think the funk butter is worth it.
JaneSmith1010's Avatar JaneSmith1010 09:16 PM 07-16-2008
ooh, the funk butter is the sh*t. I would stock up while you are paying for shipping.
kbchavez's Avatar kbchavez 09:35 PM 07-16-2008
I use the funk butter and the greg juice (which smells lovely, like spiced oranges). The black cedar fig funk butter smells amazing, but has fragrances in it as well as the essential oils. I use Terressentials deodorant first, which is more liquidy and soothing, and then rub a little funk butter over it. It dissolves and spreads more easily this way, which really lessens the irritation. I don't know if this would make a difference for those who got a rash from FB, but I notice a huge difference in feel from when I use FB alone. Both Terressentials and Oyin Handmade take a long time to get products to you, so you need to plan ahead when ordering, which I'm NOT good at. Terressential DO is really nice, but not quite powerful enough for my BO when I use it alone. The combo with the FB is the only completely natural deodorant that has worked for me. Hooray!
Maeve's Avatar Maeve 10:35 PM 07-16-2008
So I ordered them. I wish I had gotten the black cedar fig funk butter also, along with the greg juice. I wonder if I can email them and see if I can add them on.
jeca's Avatar jeca 10:45 PM 07-16-2008
She is a member of MDC and sometimes does coupon codes for here.
Jojo F.'s Avatar Jojo F. 01:00 AM 07-17-2008
I bought some funk butter and the Black Soap and Honey Cleansing Foam (which is not on their site right now)

The funk butter did not give me a rash and I really like the facial cleanser.
dianna11's Avatar dianna11 11:10 AM 07-17-2008
Does anyone know if the Funk Butter leaves a white film on black clothing?

...I'm on of those habitual black clothing wearers.
stormborn's Avatar stormborn 11:32 AM 07-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianna11 View Post

Not that I've noticed, and most of my stuff is black.
I love the funk! It's the only deo I've found that actually works on my sweaty self.
kbchavez's Avatar kbchavez 08:50 PM 07-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
So I ordered them. I wish I had gotten the black cedar fig funk butter also, along with the greg juice. I wonder if I can email them and see if I can add them on.
I bet you can, since it will take them a little time to send out your products.
kbchavez's Avatar kbchavez 08:52 PM 07-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianna11 View Post

A little (but I use it mixed with terressentials, so it's wetter, so it might not at all alone). Do you know the trick of folding up the bottom of your shirt inside out before putting it on? It completely solves the problem of getting deodorant on the outside (though there might be some on the inside where it won't show).
Tangled Hill's Avatar Tangled Hill 09:01 PM 07-17-2008
I've gotten the funk butter before, but the baking soda in it irritated my skin too much, and I ended up giving the tins away. The little one loves their honey lip balm, though. Yeah, the shipping is high, but there's a lot of love floating around for this company, so I'd guess it's worth it for most people. Guess my pits are just too delicate.
jyurina's Avatar jyurina 10:29 PM 07-23-2008
I love the stuff- I asked them about the black soap-it isn't on the site cause they are haing issues with the foaming pump. They say it will come back. And since they have expanded the shipping time is supposed to be sooner. I am mod for a moms group in my area and we have a regular co-op going for our funk butter addiction. It does save in shipping
Maeve's Avatar Maeve 10:41 PM 07-23-2008
Well, I tried emailing a couple times to see if I could add on to my order and never heard back. Is this common?
pixiepunk's Avatar pixiepunk 12:13 AM 07-24-2008
it says specifically on their website that you can't add to your order once it's in. but i've always gotten pretty prompt responses when i've emailed them in the past.

i love, love, love their products. we use the Funk Butter, the Honeywash, Honey-Hemp Conditioner and Greg Juice. oh, and the burnt sugar pomade sometimes too on my curls when i really want my hair to look nice (but i don't bother when i'm in home all day mommy mode LOL).

and i agree - the black cedar fig is the most awesome scent. you can get their honeywash in that scent too! i'm not usually a person who likes scented products, but that stuff smells incredible. i wear black almost every day and have never noticed any of it on my clothes :
Maeve's Avatar Maeve 10:39 AM 07-24-2008
"We are unable to make any changes to your shipping address once your order has been submitted! Although we love to make other order changes whenever possible, we can't guarantee that we can make changes to your order once it is in progress... "

So I may have been able to add on, but there's no gaurantee. Either way I would've liked to hear back.
Oh well, I probably to should try out what I ordered first before I get anything else.
HelloKitty's Avatar HelloKitty 10:42 AM 07-24-2008
I use the funk butter and LOVE it.
Annabel's Avatar Annabel 05:39 AM 07-25-2008
I love the funk butter and the whipped shea- was holding off ordering more because of the high shipping, finally decided to go for it anyway (running really low on product) and now they say they aren't shipping internationally. I almost cried. I have no idea what I am going to use now as my deodorant and moisturiser, it's the first ones I ever found that I was completely happy with
stormborn's Avatar stormborn 11:21 AM 07-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabel View Post
I love the funk butter and the whipped shea- was holding off ordering more because of the high shipping, finally decided to go for it anyway (running really low on product) and now they say they aren't shipping internationally. I almost cried. I have no idea what I am going to use now as my deodorant and moisturiser, it's the first ones I ever found that I was completely happy with
I'm going to order soon; if you want I'll ship some to you. I doubt it would make shipping to me go up any 'cause all I ever get is funk butter.
Annabel's Avatar Annabel 10:24 PM 07-25-2008
Quote:
I'm going to order soon; if you want I'll ship some to you. I doubt it would make shipping to me go up any 'cause all I ever get is funk butter.
That is so nice of you! I might just take you up on that offer- if you let me know when you want to order we can work something out. Thankyou!
starshine1001's Avatar starshine1001 05:11 AM 07-27-2008
I get Funk Butter, Juices & Berries, Honey Hemp conditioner, and the honeywash. I LOVE them!! I actually have to order a bit more soon...I ended up giving the black cedar fig FB to my step-mom, and I only have a half-tin of my coco mango left. Not to mention that I totally out of conditioner and almost out of honeywash...
oakparkveggie's Avatar oakparkveggie 08:59 AM 07-27-2008
I have the unscented and also the coco funk butter. The unscented deefinitely works better for mw, but I love the tropical smell of the coconut one. The only time I've been irritated is if I used it right after shaving. But I do know other mamas who got red from the baking powder.
almadianna's Avatar almadianna 03:54 PM 07-27-2008
i have used it and it worked for a while until giving me a rash.
i still have some and will still use it once in a while because it doesnt give me a rash if i use it once in a while... while ilove their stuff... i have real issues with their customer service.
the first time i ordered it it took 6 weeks to arrive and nobody told me why, when i finally emailed they said they were working on tons of orders and they were taking longer.

i wouldnt have cared but it would have been nice to know.

shipping is insane and i got my stuff in a tiny envelope that could have been shipped for 1/4 of the price i paid for shipping.

i have emailed them repeatedly about things with no response.

like i said, i still use their stuff but i really am hesitant to recommend anyone ordering from them because of the reasons stated above.
doudat's Avatar doudat 08:41 AM 07-28-2008
And they no longer ship to Canada which is soooo disappointing cause I was one of their most faithful clients

So I think I'll try my hand at making my own soft solid deodorant instead, how hard can it be?
j_e_n_n_y's Avatar j_e_n_n_y 10:51 AM 07-29-2008
I just recently tried Funk Butter and I also love it! I had a hard time applying it at first, but I left it in the bathroom while I showered one day and it moistened up just enough to spread really nicely. I have the unscented and haven't had any trouble with irritation except the one day I applied it right after shaving. I had a bit of a rash for a few days, but haven't had any trouble since.

I wanted to try the Black Soap & Honey facial wash, but they emailed me to tell me about the foaming pump problem and refunded my money. I see it on the website now under "head-to-toe", but when you click on the link, it says the product was not found. Hopefully it will be back soon.

I also wanted to try out their Whipped Shea Butter, but my dog got to it before I could try it out. Speaks for the pureness of their products though...I have a greyhound with an extremely sensitive stomach, and he ate the entire jar with no problems!

I emailed them after I placed my order to see if I could add on additional products, and received a response back saying that they could cancel my order and put together a new one, so I'm assuming that's what they'll offer you as well.
Maeve's Avatar Maeve 11:02 AM 07-29-2008
Well, I never heard back so I guess that won't happen. LOL. Oh well, I should probably make sure I like the stuff before ordering more.
dianna11's Avatar dianna11 10:19 AM 08-04-2008
Wow, after sending them an email over 2 weeks ago about shipping to Toronto, I finally got a response saying they no longer ship "overseas".

wtf?!

Maeve's Avatar Maeve 10:53 AM 08-04-2008
I never heard back at all. To be honest, unless I fall in love with the products, I doubt I will buy from there again.
3bees~1flower's Avatar 3bees~1flower 11:15 AM 08-04-2008
i ordered FB, hair pomade, and whipped pudding. the FB was ok...i love the concept, but it didn't work for me. the pomade was *nasty* looking...grainy, with oil sitting on top...i never even used it....the pudding was so-so...i like my body cream that i make much better. and i agree, CS isn't all that and a bag of chips.
1 2 

Up