Mothering Forum banner

Can toxins be washed out of clothes?

786 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Alison's Mom 
#1 ·
I've read that washing fruit/veggies well with soap can reduce the amounts of pesticides that are consumed with the food.

But. . . I've never heard of anything regarding washing clothing or other fabrics. It seems it would make sense that the amount of pesticides or toxins in non organic cotton, etc would get reduced with repeated washing? Anyone know?

#3 ·
Wow, that's good news! So I can feel good about washing our current non organic stuff.

I will still buy organic clothing / linens, etc whenever possible, though, to support organic farmers and to keep the pesticides out of the environment all together, but that's definitely good to know. Thanks.

#4 ·
No worries

In general it is much better to wear the clothes you have to rags than replace them before they're worn out with organics. For the environment i mean. Same with anything really. The present cost to the planet of automated production, even of organic lines, is such that it's only worth buying a product if you do not own any equivalent. This is even the case for fuel-guzzling cars - crazy but true, the planet would do better if we all ran our SUV's into the ground and THEN get a super-efficient diesel than if we run out now and exchange.

#5 ·
Yes, you're totally right about that. We can't shop our way to a greener planet. Regarding the SUV/car thing, yes, I've heard the major damage we are doing to the environment is the production of the vehicle, as opposed to the usage i.e. gas consumption.

I guess buying 2nd hand items is good too (as long as you truly 'need' the item), from the viewpoint that the item will have already been washed enough and/or off-gassed enough, and also from the viewpoint that it will replace having to produce another new item.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.