Safe, effective deoderant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-29-2008, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't used deoderant or anti-perspirant for about 5-6 years now and haven't felt like I needed it. But lately, I can smell myself. My hormones have changed a bit and that's probably why. Can anyone recommend a good, effective, non-toxic deoderant or anti-perspirant?
#2 of 10 Old 07-29-2008, 10:09 PM

I just started using Pit Putty from bubbleandbee.com and I really like it. I've used it for about 2 weeks now and it does a very good job.
#3 of 10 Old 07-29-2008, 10:20 PM

My DH used to use a rock of salt. he said it worked - I think it did. For some reason he doesn't use it anymore.
#4 of 10 Old 07-30-2008, 02:43 AM

A few spritzes of alcohol under the arms and/or Oyin Handmade's Funk Butter. For around the house (where I can re-apply if needed) the alcohol by itself works fine. But I'm a nurse, and if I'm working I do alcohol followed by Funk Butter and it works for the whole day like a charm! I've heard rave reviews about Pit Putty, though, so I'm going to try that next.

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#5 of 10 Old 07-30-2008, 03:49 AM

I use the crystal roll-on (easiest and least abrasive) or rock (in the stick form...crystal is formed like a stick and stays put in base of holder). I have used the spray in the past, but dislike the way it requires me to use five pumps each underarm to be effective and that much drips down my sides.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#6 of 10 Old 07-30-2008, 10:35 AM

I spritz w/alcohol and then use Jason's Tea tree deoderant. It works great!
#7 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 07:37 AM

I recently got a rock salt crystal (can't remember the name but it's just an oval shaped "crystal", kind of whitish), and it seems to work pretty well, I have to admit I'm surprised. It is not an antipersperant but it does seem to work well as a deodorant (says it works for foot odor too... I guess by killing the odor causing bacteria).

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#8 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 11:32 AM

I 2nd Oyin's Funk Butter! Works great and is all natural.
#9 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 11:39 AM

I 3rd the funk butter- it smells divine! The best part is a small amount lasts so long. I put some on and it lasts for a few days- even after a shower! Also works well on my unshaven pits

Laura WAHM to Mar 03/01/05 and Evie 05/14/08, partner to Craig
#10 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 02:32 PM

I loved the idea of the Funk Butter, but it caused a terrible, red, burning rash. I think this one is a 'your mileage may vary' product. It wasn't the fragrance either, as I bought the unscented version.

Pit Putty sure sounds nice. I haven't tried it yet. I use a crystal roll-on deodorant with great success, but these contain alum which is related to aluminum, so I am on the lookout for something else. In theory the molecule size of alum is too big to be absorbed, but I don't think anyone knows this for sure and certain.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page