Another + for Soap Nuts! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-05-2008, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just tried soap nuts for the very first time (From a place called Laundry Tree) on my son's cloth diapers. Normally, his diapers smell a bit like pee, thanks to the whole peeing in them issue.

His diapers no longer smell like pee! They smell fresh with a teeny tiny hint of the EE oil used.

I will warn: Those suckers STINK. I had no idea they'd smell that horrid, we thought something had died in our house the day I got them. But the clothes don't stink at all, so yay for that! :

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#2 of 7 Old 08-08-2008, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is good to know -- I am now convinced that i need to try them!

Globetrotting mama to DS (9) and DD (6)
#3 of 7 Old 08-08-2008, 02:27 PM

I never noticed the soap nuts to stink myself.

I am wondering if any of you use them in front loaders. We have to go to the laundromat and I keep losing them with the little pouches in the washers so I finally gave up. I have two boxes of unused soap nuts because I'm tired of losing the pouches.
#4 of 7 Old 08-09-2008, 01:50 AM

On Maggie's Pulre land site they say you can use them in a front loader, just double check her site so I didn't get it wrong- http://www.maggiespureland.com/

Instead of using the pouches why don't you make liquid soap from them?

I have noticed them to stink a bit, not horrible but an odd smell.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#5 of 7 Old 08-09-2008, 05:04 PM

Maggies Pureland will be selling liquid soon!! It is the soapnuts+ Eo like lavendar and TTO. So if you are losing the bags or prefer a liquid you can buy it instaed of making it. They are selling saples for cheap at the site now.
#6 of 7 Old 08-12-2008, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmm, mine don't stink at all. They have a slight acidic smell that's quite pleasant. I got mine at Indian store so they're quite fresh. Maybe old ones smell funny?

I use mine on sheets and towels mostly and they come out smelling nice and fresh. They're not good for stains so I don't use them on kids' clothes.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#7 of 7 Old 08-16-2008, 02:32 PM

I think the smell is a personal prefererence issue. To me, they smell like ACV. DH says they smell like unwashed um, *ahem* "nuts". The laundry just smells like a touch of TTO.

I switched for the CD -- better for DS's skin. No enzymes. They don't whiten, though, so I run the diapers with Borax in the wash and vinegar in the rinse. I don't do this with anything else, though.

I make the liquid from my soapnuts, I find it easier to use for laundry. Also using soapnut liquid for shampoo, bodywash, bath soak, baby wash, handsoap (put undiluted liquid in an empty foamer bottle), floor cleaner, etc. I even tried it for toothpaste once! I felt so brave! It wasn't bad at all -- no soapy taste or anything. It didn't really taste like anything except the little TTO I put in it.

HTH!

Learning & growing & changing everyday!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page