Head Lice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2008, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found out that my son has head lice and I am desperate to get rid of it before school starts which is in 4 days. I have 3 kids too that are 6 4 and 2. I need to treat all of us including my husband and I just to make sure. Does anyone have any natural rememdies for this or any success stories? Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2008, 04:41 PM

Get a *good* lice comb and comb comb comb. Comb several times a day until there is nothing. We have all had it a few times (it's very common here) and honestly the best remedy is changing the sheets and combing. They can't live more than 12 hours off human head, so if you just change sheets & comb you should be fine (we are always rid of them within 2 - 3 days, no chemicals, no nothing). YOu must have a good metal comb though.

You can clean the comb between uses by soaking it in vinegar. In the future you can use conditioner with rosemary (seems to chase them away) or just put some rosemary behind the ears. It doesn't get rid of what they have now, but it will prevent it in the future.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

Old 08-11-2008, 05:00 PM

http://wondertime.go.com/learning/ar...reat-lice.html

HTH!

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
Old 08-11-2008, 05:18 PM

Not sure if this will help much but the California Baby Lavender and Tea Tree Shampoo and Body Wash says something about using it for lice. I got mine at Target or Publix.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:34 PM

I haven't tried it, but I've heard that putting olive oil on the head smothers the lice. Here's a link with instructions.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:41 PM

A few years ago I found my son's head absolutley crawling with several life stages of lice. I first tried the OTC Rid to no avail. Don't waste your money or put this poison on your family!

What works is this: Heat and Nit Picking!

There is a reason why teenagers don't get lice like kids do. They blow dry their hair.

I would wash my kids' hair, blow dry it (hot!) while combing and monitoring temp so I didn't scorch his head, and then go through with a comb while we watched a movie and pull every single egg off his head. My son has super thick curly hair and this worked on the first try.

Good luck!
Old 08-12-2008, 05:20 PM

Lice do NOT like lavender and can be used as a preventative. they also cannot adhere to "dirty" hair as easily as squeeky clean hair, so washing less frequently helps.(after they are treated and gone of course
I recommend Dr. bronner's w/ lavender and a reg shampoo. that is what we used in our dreads and when our daughter had em we never found a one!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:24 PM

walmart has a lice comb that is electronic. its called the LiceGuard Robi Comb and it is a lice detector and remover. It kills the lice without having to use chemicals and is battery operated and is totally reuseable.

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :
Old 08-13-2008, 02:02 AM

When we had this problem, I used both the chemical method and some natural just to be sure. For my ds, one of his ordinary hair cuts in the summer was to shave it all off anyway; so that's what we did for him--no chemicals needed. But for dd and I, we used the box stuff at the store for the 1st treatment. Then every day, I would go through her hair with the special comb while she watched tv (long hair). And at night dh (he doesn't have any hair), would go through my hair. I would wash all our bedding every day. I threw out any toy that had been out recently that couldn't go into the washer and dryer; any toy in the closets were put in garbage bags for a month. We didn't play with any neighbors until this was all over, so we wouldn't keep giving it back and forth. Then after we did the 2nd treatment of the chemicals (when the eggs would possibly hatching), we did a natural treatment of real mayo, super glopped on (put a plastic bag over your head so it doesn't get everywhere).
BTW--I didn't really like the nit combs. I found that some of the nits where too small for the comb to catch. So, I would just pull out the whole hair (!). I know that may sound crazy, but what was I going to do just leave it in her hair, knowing what it was? What do those lice have--special super glue to attach their eggs? :
Anyway, good luck; I hope you get rid of the little buggers no matter what method you choose!

And I would of totally used that electronic comb if I would of known about it at the time!!
Old 08-18-2008, 04:15 PM

My poor little girl has had lice 3 times.. so I guess I consider myself some what of an expert :P We tried the chemicals the first time, and they didn't work.. the second time we just combed and combed and combed some more. But my daughter has thick wavy waist length hair and by the time that outbreak was over, I couldn't go near her with a comb! Finally the last time we found something that worked..
we used the store-brand cleanser and had no problems. While it wasn't chemical free like the "comb-out" method, I didn't feel as guilty as when I used the RID. We also combed her hair out everyday after smothering it in conditioner (it supposed to shock them).. it was a pain, but it took care of the lice and it was easier on her hair
Old 08-19-2008, 03:16 PM

Henna kills lice. If you don't mind red hair.

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
Old 08-20-2008, 07:26 PM

@Starshine1001 -- (and any other Henna fans) -- have you seen the "clear" henna? It's for blonde's or those of us who are red-phobic. Works the same, just no coloring. . .
Old 08-20-2008, 11:22 PM

i also read that soap nuts can get rid of them?? not sure just read it on a soapnut page.

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :

User Tag List