Dry, Cracked Heels - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My heels get so dry and cracked, especially in the summer when I don't wear socks.
What can I do to take care of this?

and
#2 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 10:11 AM

Sigh. I have tried so very many things! And, they do actually work, if I keep doing them on a very regular basis. I just have trouble fitting "foot care" into my daily list of responsibilities.

Here's what helps:
~soaking in warm water with some tea tree & peppermint oil
~gentle wash with an exfoliating soap (I love javaspice from Chagrin Valley)
~exfoliate with a sugar scrub (I make my own from sugar and olive and jojoba oils)
~use microplane if it's really bad, or a pumice stone to get the rest of the dead, thick skin away
~slather on oil or moisturizer of choice, cover with warm wet towels or plastic bags and put your feet up for a while
~slather moisturizer on again before bed and wear good breathable socks

That's a lot. I do find just exfoliating with the scrub and microplane every other day or so is helpful. But having very pretty dainty feet takes a lot of flipping work!

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#3 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 10:13 AM

We have the same problem!

Here are some things that have helped us.

Having good Omega-3 and zinc sources in the diet helps. Maintaining a healthy weight also reduces the cracked heel issue.

Exfoliate--we have both pumice stones (I used after soaking the feet in warm water for a while) and I have a nickel based file.

Virgin coconut oil--use as a moisturizer a couple of times a day (stuff is slipperry, if using in the morning wear socks LOL).

Over here DH had serious heel fissures to start (as in would crack so deeply it would bleed). We initially used a lotion for a while that contained urea and lactic acid...made especially for heels. I can't remember what it was called! I'm sure the health food store would know if you asked. That, in conjunction with some serious filing cleared up the initial problem for him.

Though, for us, no matter what we do we're always on our feet and we have ceramic tile...we just have to keep on using the pumice/filing/moisturizing regularly! I always walk barefoot around here .

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#4 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 06:46 PM

I went and bought a foot file awhile back. It works really well.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#5 of 22 Old 09-02-2008, 07:58 PM

Eating healthy and drinking plenty of water is first, in my eyes. Work from the inside out, so to speak.

I also use a pumice stone on my heels and big toe every other day in the shower.

In the winter, I use a thick moisturizer on my feet and sleep in socks once a week.

In the summer, I use a regular lotion on my feet (and elsewhere) in the mornings. About once a week, I add a thicker layer to my feet and walk around in socks for awhile (early morning).

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#6 of 22 Old 09-03-2008, 01:45 AM

I SWEAR by the ped egg! I have tried every lotion, cream, balm, pumice, file etc.... known to man and my heels are always cracked, dry etc....

I used the ped egg and the difference was immediate and lasting. I use it every few days to keep the callouses at bay and my feet have never looked better.
#7 of 22 Old 09-03-2008, 02:23 AM

I just did my weekly with the pedi egg.

I had those heels you see that peel and bleed. Even with weekly pedicures, my feet were awful. I wear clogs in the winter, chacos in the summer... if I am wearing shoes at all. Summertime I am out on a boat at least three days a week, in and out of the water, no shoes. I guess you could say I abuse my feet.

I LOVE the pedi egg. I would recommend using it outside, or over a towel though.

Pedi egg once a week, file in between, and almond oil. I also scrub my feet with a stiff nail brush when I shower

Nothing has worked like this, not pumice stones, not files, not scrub brushes alone.

I bought mine at bed bath and beyond...for 9.99, with extra blades 9.99. I had a 40% off coupon.

So for about 14 bucks, I have not been back in a salon since I bought it. AND MY FEET ARE BEAUTIFUL!
#8 of 22 Old 09-03-2008, 02:35 AM

Zim's Crack Cream. http://www.crackcreme.com/
It's the best foot product I've ever used!!!

Julie, wife and mother. I love my little ones: DS ::Corbin Randall---6/06 and DD :Morgan Reese 12/08.
#9 of 22 Old 09-04-2008, 02:48 AM

My friend said that in her home country, um, peeing in the shower helps relieve cracked skin.
#10 of 22 Old 09-04-2008, 04:55 AM

I have a huge problem with cracked feet in the summer. It gets to the point where they bleed and it hurts to walk.
-I eat healthy
-I drink enough water
-I don't weigh an awful lot
-I pee in the shower
-I file my feet and apply moisturiser (tried lots of different kinds)

nothing much helps. I would love to know a magic cure. Summer here you can NOT wear socks to bed, it is much too hot.
#11 of 22 Old 09-04-2008, 06:59 AM

Ped egg once a week, and slater your feet with shea butter or some other heavy moisturizer at night, and wear socks to help it soak in.

It took me about 2 weeks of doing that to get my feel back to soft, after a summer of running around barefoot. The Ped Egg seriously rocks, but it is messy.
#12 of 22 Old 09-04-2008, 08:22 AM

I've also read that wearing sandals make your feet crack. So maybe just wear closed shoes until you get them healed well!

Julie, wife and mother. I love my little ones: DS ::Corbin Randall---6/06 and DD :Morgan Reese 12/08.
#13 of 22 Old 09-04-2008, 09:41 AM

I have a terrible time with callouses and cracks, no matter what season it is and what kind of shoes I am wearing/not wearing. The only thing that has really worked long-term for me is the Ped-Egg. Until then, no matter how much I filed, pumiced, used various lotions, etc., nothing much worked.
#14 of 22 Old 09-04-2008, 11:07 AM

OK, I can tell I'm going to have to check out this Ped-Egg thingamajig. I've never heard of it!

In the past, when I'd go for pedicures, the technician would sigh and frown when he got to my heels - so embarrassing! I finally found two lotions that really work on my heels. Now my pedicure technician brags on my heels every time!

Here are the two lotions that work for me:
Origins Reinventing The Heel - perfect for the winter. I just put it on right before I go to sleep - no socks necessary.
http://www.origins.com/templates/pro...CT_ID=PROD5757

OPI Callus Therapy - this isn't quite as heavy - it's been great this summer.
http://www.opi.com/Feet.asp

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#15 of 22 Old 09-08-2008, 11:22 AM

This might seem odd, but I had read on a forum many years ago to use Crisco (vegetable shortening) slather your feet with the Crisco, cover them with plastic bags, put on heavy socks, then go to bed. In the morning, take off the socks and oily bags and you will be amazed at how soft your feet are! It really does work; I don't do it nearly as often as I would like, it is not easy to walk with greasy bags on your feet! LOL
#16 of 22 Old 09-08-2008, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I love my Microplane Foot File. There's nothing to replace and there's a compartment to hold the shavings (really a powder.)
#17 of 22 Old 09-08-2008, 01:21 PM

My N.D. told me a couple years ago that calloused heels were a symptom of hypothyroidism. I used to have really miserable callouses, but since we began doing "thyroid support," they went away. My heels are still dry, and they do crack sometimes if I don't look after my feet, but they are not calloused anymore.
#18 of 22 Old 09-08-2008, 01:44 PM

I suddenly have cracking/dry heels. So far I've just been doing a foot scrub followed by moisturizer (Burts Bees Buttermilk Lotion was all I had!) and then socks for bedtime. I hate sleeping with socks...

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#19 of 22 Old 09-11-2008, 01:36 PM

I am going to buy a pedi-egg on the way home from work. I have battled this problem for year. Every woman in the family has it, even my super healthy mom and aunt.

Recently I read in the Dr. Donahue column of our local paper that chronic thick split heels are a mild version of a certain skin disorder. The more extreme cases include scaling drying skin on the legs, which is something else I have. I have the clipping at home but I can't remember the medical term off the top of my head.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#20 of 22 Old 09-11-2008, 01:38 PM

another vote for the ped-egg!!
seriously.
SERIOUSLY.

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
#21 of 22 Old 09-11-2008, 01:44 PM

I'll admit that I have never tried the egg thing.

But I have battled cracked heels for all of my adult life. And I have found that taking a fish oil supplement daily is the key for me. If I skip a few days, my heels crack. HTH

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#22 of 22 Old 09-15-2008, 10:21 AM

I just might but that ped-egg after all. I never usually buy things like that but if it has worked for all of you maybe I will try it.

Thanks! I also will use a mixture of Vitamin E oil, jojoba oil, and a few drops of Lavender and Tea tree EO and put on socks at night Hope for smooth footsies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page