Mothering Forum banner

What do you use for face toner & lotion?

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  catnap70 
#1 ·
I've been using Walmart brand face lotion with spf 15 and LOREAL toner for past a few years and I'm ready to switch to a better/different regimen.
I'm looking for something that is safe to use, with not much fragrance and not that expensive.
What do you all use? FYI, I'm dry/normal type skin in FL (spf preferred).
Or if any of you make your own lotions, toners, soaps, I would like to hear what you use to make them.
TIA

#2 ·
I use plain ol' coconut oil for my moisturizer and for my toner I use the dmae/msm one from essential wholesale (you don't have to be a business to buy from them, I bought the 1/2 gallon size for around $13 and I shared some with friends!) http://www.essentialwholesale.com/category_s/62.htm

As for spf, if I'm planning on being in the sun I will apply sunscreen. As for most days I feel confident that my mineral make-up is providing me some protection. I've also heard that coconut oil has some sun protection qualities but I'm not willing to slather myself and then go hang out by the pool.

#3 ·
witch hazel and jason's cocoa butter lotion with shea butter (it's actually hand lotion but the only thing that works on my sensitive, rosacea prone skin!) the $7 tube last me about a year.

btw, you might look into the safety of spf and the toxicity of sunscreen. I used to slather it on daily until I found out how dangerous it actually is!

#4 ·
Rainbowmoon makes a good point about sunscreen. I wouldn't buy a brand that uses nano particles in their sunscreen. Those have not been tested enough. I'm comfortable with micronised particles but not those that are super tiny nano sized. Plus I don't use products with fragrance or parabens, there are other ingredients I don't like but am willing to overlook in sunscreen because I don't use it very often but nano particles, fragrance, and parabens are a deal breaker for me

#11 ·
I live in the Southeast too (southern Georgia, practically FL), I have normal skin that gets oily around my period, dry in winter. I'm sensitive to fragrances. Don't want parabens. So this is what I use.

Witch Hazel w/some essential oils (mix depends on season but in summer I use lemon/bergamot/sweet orange) and in winter I'll prob use lavender.

For lotion, after I spray on the witch hazel mix I use the tiniest bit (the liquid helps your skin absorb the moisture of the lotion) of either Aubrey Organics Unscented Moist body lotion (I mean like half a dime's worth) or a paraben free baby lotion like Aubrey Organics Baby and Kids Lotion (it's not fragrance free but really mild and smells like maple syrup).

#13 ·
ACV (apple cider vinegar with a little water) when I need toner. Mountain Rose Herbs rose facial oil at night only as lotion, then just a quick rinse in the am with plain water or a tiny bit of MRH rose castile soap facial wash. The change in facial soap has been part of the routine for me. Also no sunscreen unless I will be in the sun for an extended period. I usually have dryish skin but haven't since I started this. We'll see how it goes in the Winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.