What is you favorite... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-16-2008, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've decided to green up my house. This months goal is shampoo, conditioner, and other hair products. What is your favorite hair stuff that is SAFE! I've heard alot about Aubrey Organics, what else is out there that uses safe ingredients. I'm not willing to no-poo so that is not even a discussion. Thanks for all your help.

Also, another question. My son uses Tom's of Maine toothpase, but it has SLS that is from coconut. Is that safe?

Wifey to B-Rax  Momma to Cartman 10-30-2006.  Gryff 5-7-2008.  angel.gif 8-15-2010.  My rainbow1284.gif baby Babs 11-13-11.  Due with #4 in May/June.  Gluten-Free. Raw milk drinkers. Urban homesteaders.
 teapot2.GIF  delayedvax.gif  selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif  cd.gif  knit.gif  chicken3.gif  waterbirth.jpg 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2008, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Hello. Anyone?

Wifey to B-Rax  Momma to Cartman 10-30-2006.  Gryff 5-7-2008.  angel.gif 8-15-2010.  My rainbow1284.gif baby Babs 11-13-11.  Due with #4 in May/June.  Gluten-Free. Raw milk drinkers. Urban homesteaders.
 teapot2.GIF  delayedvax.gif  selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif  cd.gif  knit.gif  chicken3.gif  waterbirth.jpg 

Old 09-19-2008, 04:06 PM

I use a tea tree oil-based shampoo by Giovanni, which you can get thru Frontier. It does has SLS, however, and a few other non-natural ingredients.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:18 PM

Well, to be honest, these particular items just haven't reached the top of my priority list for eco-friendly and healthier items. I did consciously choose to NOT use hair care products (other than shampoo and conditioner) or a hair dryer, except for special occasions.

Otherwise, I am far more concerned about what goes IN our bodies and what STAYS on our bodies. Shampoo and conditioner get washed off and we are conscious of how much we use (keeping waste to a minimum), so it just isn't as important to me. I reduced my impact on our earth by eliminating other haircare products and the once-daily use of the hairdryer. I also only buy products that can be recycled and do so.

We are currently working on eating healthy and more local/organic whole foods (versus processed and chemical-laden foods).

Best wishes!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 09-20-2008, 01:57 AM

Avalon organics has nice shampoos and conditioners.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:05 AM

EO http://eoproducts.com/ & Giovanni

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
Old 09-20-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amis2girls View Post
I checked out that link and it sounds great. I'm going to try it.thanks.:
Old 09-20-2008, 11:15 PM

Baking soda and vinegar- safe AND cheap!
Old 09-21-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexysisam View Post
I've decided to green up my house. This months goal is shampoo, conditioner, and other hair products. What is your favorite hair stuff that is SAFE! I've heard alot about Aubrey Organics, what else is out there that uses safe ingredients. I'm not willing to no-poo so that is not even a discussion. Thanks for all your help.
I LOVE Aubrey Organics J.A.Y. Shampoo and G.P.B. Conditioner! Also, if you can find it, the AO Egyptian Henna Rinse is fabulous also!!
Old 09-22-2008, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I actually bought some Aubrey Organics from Vitacost.com. I bought the Honeysuckle shampoo & conditioner and Blue Chamomile Shampoo and GPB Conditioner. I also bought their kid's shampoo. My husband and I like it so far. The shampoo doesn't lather as much, but that's to be expected without SLS.

The reason I wanted to start this now is the last 2 conventional shampoos I've tried gave me hives. Also cancer is outrageously common in my family.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:00 PM

Yeah, the JAY Shampoo doesn't really lather either, but it cleans really well, and is super gentle. Sometimes I was my hair twice a day, and my hairdressers always go on and on about how healthy my hair is.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:06 PM

i like the aubrey's organics chamomile luxurious. i think that's what it's called. it makes my hair all nice and bouncy and lathers the most of any of their shampoos. i think i've tried them all.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i make my own hair oils, pomades, etc. i sell body and home care on etsy. as for shampoo weleda is fantastic. biodynamic, organic owned by the company not a huge conglomerate.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!

User Tag List