make your own hand sanitizer - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-07-2008, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i would like to learn how to make my own foaming, alcohol free hand sanitizer. I always use it when i am out so that i do not bring sick germs home. Does anyone know how to make this? Perhaps someone has another recipe that is not foaming or alcohol free, what are your experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 10-07-2008, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm not particularly worried about "sick germs" that I pick up when I'm out and about. That's what my immune system is for. Honestly, I'm far more scared of chemicals than I am about germs. Even a "natural" recipe for hand sanitizer would need to contain a lot of alcohol.

I wash my hands with soap and water (or just water if there's no soap available) after using a public restroom. I wash my hands before eating. I'll pack wet wipes (or damp washcloths in a plastic bag) if I'm planning a picnic and may not have a sink available before eating.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#3 of 12 Old 10-07-2008, 10:11 PM

Oh, I believe in sick germs , I was thinking of making a small spray bottle with rubbing alcohol, essential oils, and witch hazel (which is my deodorant, btw) and keeping it in the car or my bag. I haven't yet figured out to make it foam though....

some other thought just popped in, maybe tea tree oil mixture of something to make it alcohol free. Maybe just unscented lotion w/tea tree oil in it?

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#4 of 12 Old 10-08-2008, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I'm not particularly worried about "sick germs" that I pick up when I'm out and about. That's what my immune system is for. Honestly, I'm far more scared of chemicals than I am about germs. Even a "natural" recipe for hand sanitizer would need to contain a lot of alcohol.

I wash my hands with soap and water (or just water if there's no soap available) after using a public restroom. I wash my hands before eating.
I totally agree Ruthla. I'm more worried about all the antibiotics and "sanitizing" chemicals ending up in the water supply than I am about any "germs". I gave up getting sick over ten years ago, so I don't worry about such things.

I wouldn't use anything other than plain soap and water either. Anti-bacterial soaps and sanitizers create Super-bugs.
#5 of 12 Old 10-08-2008, 03:44 AM

I don't think that alcohol based sanitizers are what is creating the "superbugs," I think that is more from triclosan based products. So if you are using purell or something like that, I don't personally see a problem. That said, there are some natural variations, they are just more expensive. I bet you could google a recipe. I just use purell. I believe in my immune system too but I don't get enough rest, and I have no desire to pick up every bug on the playground.
#6 of 12 Old 10-08-2008, 10:15 AM

I know some moms who carry around a spray bottle with water, tea tree oil and rosemary oil in it.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#7 of 12 Old 10-08-2008, 09:18 PM

I also agree with Ruthla. I've never been a fan of "hand sanitizers". I use soap and water when I return home and as often as practical before eating wherever I am.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#8 of 12 Old 10-10-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

I think i am going to try the tea tree oil with rosemary in a spray bottle. It sounds like it may do the trick. I do also believe in letting my immune system work, but I too, do not get enough sleep and am putting out a lot of physical energy everyday. Also, one of my children almost died on me 4 times because of upper respitory tract infections, so I do my best to keep my hands clean and theirs too. I do believe in hand washing, yes, do not get my wrong, but that is not always practical. I have a baby and four other children, so i cannot always get to a sink before i have to stick my fingers in his mouth or something. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, that is for sure. I like your ideas, and thank you.
#9 of 12 Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i use aloe vera gel with essential oil, "guardian", or you could use essential oil lavender as it is anti-viral and bacterial.

2 oz. aloe vera gel with 10 drops or so of oil

it moisturizes and protects!
#10 of 12 Old 01-08-2009, 03:12 AM

To get it to foam you could try buying one of those bottles of foaming hand soap and then just pour the soap out and put in your solution...

I know it makes Dr. Bronners soap foam up really nicely so maybe it's worth a shot.
#11 of 12 Old 01-09-2009, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl523 View Post
To get it to foam you could try buying one of those bottles of foaming hand soap and then just pour the soap out and put in your solution...

I know it makes Dr. Bronners soap foam up really nicely so maybe it's worth a shot.
Hell yeah! Why didn't I think of that before? I am so going to do that! Thanks Kitty!
#12 of 12 Old 01-14-2009, 10:41 PM

Just taking notes!

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page