Dready Mamas - End 2008 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 208 Old 11-18-2008, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Subbing!

I don't have dreads but have been toying with the idea for some time. DH really really wants me to start with them already but I am apprehensive because I don't feel like I know enough of the "how to"s and the afterwards so I am coming here to observe and learn!

My hair is very very curly and knots seconds after I brush it. If I go one day without brushing it I have to forcefully pull it apart. Anyone else with this type of hair? Any suggestions/words of wisdom to throw my way?

TIA!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#122 of 208 Old 11-19-2008, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Organic Sister....you look AWESOME! Beautiful.

magstphil - As far as "know how" don't worry about it. Here is all you need to know:

1. Backcomb only once.
2. Wash with residue-free shampoo
3. No conditioner
4. Separate periodically to prevent a unidread.

That's it! Let nature do it's thing...it takes a long time and a lot of patience but it's very freeing to let go and let mother nature take over.
#123 of 208 Old 11-19-2008, 01:13 AM

Thanks so much for the tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnipmama View Post
That's it! Let nature do it's thing...it takes a long time and a lot of patience but it's very freeing to let go and let mother nature take over.
That is exactly what sings to me about it- just letting go.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#124 of 208 Old 11-20-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSister View Post
Okay I finally remembered and found time to take some photos of my hair. Of about 80 photos, here are two decent ones It's not easy taking bathroom portraits!

This is how my hair usually ends up:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26696967@N03/3041820126/

And this craziness is why I usually wear them up
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2669696...n/photostream/

They turned 6 months old yesterday! I was looking at some of the pics and noticed that from the root to about half way down is really looking tight and like *real* dreads. The last half is still pretty loose, some of it completely undreaded. I still have a lot of loops and flat parts but they are really coming along. It doesn't seem to be shrinking, however all the palm-rolling really stimulates my hair growth so maybe it's evening out it shrinking with new growth. The dreads in the back are tight all the way up to the scalp but the ones on top are much looser on the scalp.

I usually palm-roll my whole head about once or twice a month. Sometimes I'll palm-roll one or two while watching a movie or something. I'm washing once a week and have been using that ACV/rosemary oil on my scalp in the mornings so take care of the dandruff that started up a week or so ago (I think dehydration, dry weather and hormones are my culprits). Other than that I've been letting them do their thing.
Ooooh!! They are looking GREAT! I love the way you 'usually' wear them. Happy 6 months!
#125 of 208 Old 11-20-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Subbing!

I don't have dreads but have been toying with the idea for some time. DH really really wants me to start with them already but I am apprehensive because I don't feel like I know enough of the "how to"s and the afterwards so I am coming here to observe and learn!

My hair is very very curly and knots seconds after I brush it. If I go one day without brushing it I have to forcefully pull it apart. Anyone else with this type of hair? Any suggestions/words of wisdom to throw my way?

TIA!
Welcome! Sounds similar to my hair, very curly and would get mats in it if I went without brushing. It's been great hair to dread so far. My biggest complaint, which I will touch on below, is that my dreads are like velcro-they all want each other like crazy. I think that has something to do with my hair type...? They need to be pulled apart from each other in the root area really often.

If you scan through my posts in the dread threads, I outlined my journey step by step as I was forming them. I started out just ceasing to brush and using a residue-free shampoo and avoiding conditioner and gel/hairspray (which is how I 'tamed' my hair for years).

I dont' have a lot of time without kids on me, so Dh and I have oh so slowly been working on getting the dreads in, we began at the nape of my neck sectioning and backcombing/palmrolling. The thing is, we worked so slowly that some of the dreads at the top of my head made themselves into big, wide, flat lumpy things. Which we then took painful hours pulling apart to redo them the way I wanted (smaller, more uniform).

Perhaps if I had it to do over I would have done them more around the same time frame. Perhaps not, bc on the other hand, they have all dreaded up at aprox. the same rate, so the ones we started on first when the hair was just... hair took a lot more coaxing and were limp and fluffy a lot longer, and the ones that basically formed themselves were doing their own hard work while time passed, and were much quicker and easier to roll into something resemebling dreads by the time we got around to them.

If that all makes sense?
#126 of 208 Old 11-20-2008, 06:45 PM

Organic sister, you've mentioned having really dry skin as well....What, if anything, do you use on the rest of your skin (not hair)?

As I said before, I have to lotion my face immediately after showering to lock the moisture in, or else it gets tight, dry and red and peely, like if I wait 5 min I can tell the difference. I am embarassed on MDC to say what I currently use for face lotion, but I'm sure it's chock full of *omitted, bc I'm POSITIVE my brand of humor would have seriously offended someone* basically anything and everything you never wanted to put on your skin. Doing things naturally has been long, slow steps finding the way, and my face lotion is thick and creamy and has sunscreen built in and it WORKS and anything else I've tried in years past has left my skin too dry or else too greasy, so it's my security blanket but...I know it has to go. Just not even sure where to start...Hmm.....Sorry so OT...Just something that's been on my mind...
#127 of 208 Old 11-20-2008, 07:05 PM

My little dreadies are 4.5 months old! EEK!! I started neglecting my hair the week we closed on our house, so I would always remember the time frame.

Speaking of neglect, they are looking awfully neglected right now and we are back to hiding under a bandana all.the.time (or a beanie,
it's : : : here suddenly and great weather for hats haha).

There is *1* left un-back-combed (also I left --long--bangs for myself bc I like having the options of how they frame my face differently, although we'll see how long they last bc they are starting to try to make their own dread thing happen when I leave them alone for several days at a time). DH and I took the "dreaded" (pun intended) big self-forming dread at the top/front of my head apart I think it was 2 weeks ago...?? It was torture. It took several hours and we were working late at night bc that was when the kids were sleeping...thank goodness for tv shows online to keep us semi-distracted...But it hurt so bad to pull it apart...it was pretty well set in its ways...I was pulling hairs of of DH's arms to make myself feel better ....my scalp stung for like two days after all the ripping... In the end, we got 4-5 dreads out of it, don't remember exactly, I was in a bit of a daze. ow!

I meant to have DH do some matinence on them last weekend so they would look awesome for my DS1's 3rd birthday party...but we were crazy busy getting ready for the party and I got put onthe back burner as I often do to myself... So that was a bummer, but I have threatened DH and I THINK he is going to help me neaten them in time for Thanksgiving.

It's been a while since they were neatened and they need a lot of work. I get discouraged, but then when its' over they look so cool and they are the hair I always wanted, I am glad we took the time to work on them. Anyone else?

I am writing a novel here, feel free to join me...

Anyway, they need to be washed, then ripped and rolled. The ripping I am really dreading (hah). They have all gravitated toward one side of my head or the other and they're all mixed at the roots and for about 1-4 (??) inches they are loose and all bunched together. EEK! DH is awesome at palmrolling, so after we rip them apart, he will roll them. I still haven't used anything on them for appearances of taming the frizz etc. I've been meaning to order some aloe gel but haven't gotten around to it yet...

I think they will look great after a session. I have to say I am surprised how early into it they are forming. There are a LOT of them that have shortened already (I've been asked if I cut my hair, tis DRASTIC), and are fat and thick and bunchy and 'solid' feeling. Most of them. There are only a few stragglers at this point which are still floppy and feel just like backcombed hair. You guys know what I mean?

Alright, I'll end on that note. I hope its' ok to go on and on so over here. I remember in the months leading up to my final decision to just do it, when I was stuck on the couch with a newborn who nursed nonstop, I read through hours and hours of the old dreadhead pages and loved reading people's stories and experiences etc so I hope it's ok to share mine in such detail.

I'm off! I'll post pics again when we get my messy head cleaned up a bit.
#128 of 208 Old 11-20-2008, 11:04 PM

Ouch that sounds like it sucked! I don't think I could have handled that. My scalp is so sensitive I can't stand for dh to so much to it. A couple times now I've woken up to find that a couple dreads are now one dread. How does that happen?! I fiddle with my hair every day and usually at least check for velcro dreads.

Now I've got some that actually need to be joined and they don't want to.... They've got a mind of their own.

I woke one day to find that my part has shifted to the middle. It baffles me. Was I so unobservant to have missed this?

I love my hair every day though. Except maybe today. It was a frizzy day. I haven't had one of those in a long time. I think it's because I'm at a place with soft water and my hair is used to hard water.

I use SO much shampoo now! It takes tons of it. I think I avoid washing just for that reason. I have to wash every 3 days.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#129 of 208 Old 11-20-2008, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonStarFalling View Post
Now I've got some that actually need to be joined and they don't want to.... They've got a mind of their own.
Have you tried a felting needle? Its pretty much amazing for loose hairs and joining baby ones. You just have to have a trusted person!!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#130 of 208 Old 11-20-2008, 11:24 PM

I think I would end up breaking off a dread if I attempted using a felting needle. I've never used one before but I hear they break hairs if you over use them. I bleached these two dreads twice so they are a little crispy despite already putting a protein pack on. I did a small threadlock on them last month but yesterday decided to just try weaving them together.

I did a hemp threadlock on three teeny ones in the back hoping they would join. I'm going to wait a month and see if it worked. The dreads DH back combed for me back there were tiny! I was a little mad about that.

DH did a pretty blue and white threadlock on one last month that had two seriously annoying loops (I call them pregnancies). I'm interested to see how that turns out too. The blue is pretty, I love it.

#131 of 208 Old 11-21-2008, 02:24 PM

Ok I am really hoping I don't get flamed off the thread but I have a confession- I want to use wax. I was reading about the process on a lot of different sources and also the threads here and I just so don't want to go the 'natural' unkempt route mainly because I've been through that so many times in my life (on accident) and the thought gives me anxiety. How ridiculous is that?? Dreading my hair isn't a spiritual thing for me nor is it a fashion statement- I am doing it for personal reasons. I am a mixed girl raised in a white family and all my life my family has been trying to tame my hair. I wasn't allowed at certain family functions unless I "tamed my kinks" or got rid of the "nappiness". My great-aunt would spend her own money to get my hair straightened and "managed" before she'd let me at her anual Christmas party. Dreading my hair is such a big deal to me and is stirring up a lot of emotions. I just want to get it started and such. Am I making any sense whatsoever here? I'm not talking about gobbing the wax on. Honestly with my type of hair I might get there and find I need hardly any if any at all but I just can't imagine letting it go. I'm really trying to make sense for you all I swear!

Anywho I just wanted to get my anxiety out there. I need to get over this pressure I feel to do it 'right' and just do it FOR ME like I know I need to. I am in the process of breaking away from my toxic mother and this all is coming down at the same time and I'm just all : :

#132 of 208 Old 11-21-2008, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Ok I am really hoping I don't get flamed off the thread but I have a confession- I want to use wax.
what!?!? wax is the DEVIL!!!

no, I've actually heard that in AA hair wax works better, I don't know if thats true or not!

I'm white and I personally don't like wax. It never comes out :

Good luck, That sucks your family isn't very... nice.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#133 of 208 Old 11-21-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
what!?!? wax is the DEVIL!!!

I wasn't sure if me admitting to that would be the equivalent of walking into CAC talking about how I plan on circing my future sons (I absolutely do not, BTW. Just an example).

#134 of 208 Old 11-21-2008, 05:20 PM

mag, check out the pic links in my siggy and look at my baby. She is full AA being raised in a CC family and we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her coils. Yes they take time and effort, but we will never straighten her hair because they are what she was born with. It takes 1 hour to braid and 2 hours to remove the braids, but as her Mommy it is my job to take care of her. Although she always says she can't wait to be bigger so she can have dreads like Mommy I can't imagine anyone not embracing their child's natural features : I wanted to add that if you have coily hair you wouldn't back comb, you could just put it into two strand twists and then wax.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#135 of 208 Old 11-21-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucactus View Post
Organic sister, you've mentioned having really dry skin as well....What, if anything, do you use on the rest of your skin (not hair)?

I stopped using everything. We have VERY VERY hard water and we live in a VERY VERY dry climate. But when I used any products, my skin then stopped producing it's own oil. So it was a vicious cycle.

So here is what I did do:

I nixxed all the face products I tried (cleansers, moisturizers, toners, yada yada) and started washing with warm water and baking soda when needed. The baking soda didn't strip the oils from my skin so my skin wouldn't get as dried out. For the first couple of weeks I used ONE DROP of olive oil on my face to help it adjust to less product. Within a few weeks I was good. Usually now I skip the baking soda too and just wash with warm water. Other parts of my skin still get dry on occasion from the soap I use on the rest of my body but my face no longer gets dried out.

The other thing I sometimes do befor egetting in the shower is use a body oil or olive oil. The excess washes off in the shower and my sin is left smooth. But I usually never get around to doing all that.

So theoretically the same routine SHOULD work for my scalp. But it just didn't seem to because I can't wash my scalp as often as I wash my face. OR maybe I'm just not patient enough.
#136 of 208 Old 11-21-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Dreading my hair isn't a spiritual thing for me nor is it a fashion statement- I am doing it for personal reasons. I am a mixed girl raised in a white family and all my life my family has been trying to tame my hair. I wasn't allowed at certain family functions unless I "tamed my kinks" or got rid of the "nappiness".
I'm so sorry. One of my girlfriends was adopted by an Irish Catholic family and experienced a lot of what you describe from parts of her family. Hearing this kind of stuff just breaks my heart.

In regards to the wax there are no hard and fast rules. No one says you can't use it!! But I wanted to add that I used a VERY small amount when I first put my dreads in and it's been six months of lots of careful washing and when I palmroll I STILL get gunk out of my hair. Also from what I've heard, you may not need wax for your hair texture. You could always have it for backup but not use it right away until you see how your hair takes to the dreads, maybe?

Happy dreading!!
#137 of 208 Old 11-21-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I was pulling hairs of of DH's arms to make myself feel better ....
I had to get a shot in my thigh a few months ago and my hubby did a needle in his thigh with me. Such good hubbys!
#138 of 208 Old 11-21-2008, 07:31 PM

I didn't use wax, but I heard that the veggie wash stuff can help get the wax out since that is what it is for.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#139 of 208 Old 11-21-2008, 07:34 PM

Hey, dreadies!

I am having a friend help me with my hair tomorrow. It just hasn't worked out to have anyone help yet, and DH is being a stubborn mule about helping me. *sigh*

So I have a huge, awful mess. We will probably have to brush out a little bit in the back to get it separated, but I think it'll be fine. And we'll use some strings or rubberbands this time to keep them separated!

And, if it doesn't work.. I'll probably just shave my head. I am not crazy about how my dreads feel so far (the ones that are still in, anyway) but I think that's mostly because of my dandruff. I've been working on that, and ACV is helping a lot.

Anywho.. glad to see so much activity lately! Hopefully I'll have a good update after the weekend!
#140 of 208 Old 11-23-2008, 05:33 AM

magstphil; i just wanted to send you a

I'm about as white as they come, but dreadlocks are for me a very spritual / cultural thing. for totally different reasons as they are for people of african descent; many cultures and religions include dreadlocks. anyway, i've also suffered for my dreadlocks from insensitive family members who don't understand my religious beliefs. But that's their problem.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#141 of 208 Old 11-23-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Hey, dreadies!

I am having a friend help me with my hair tomorrow. It just hasn't worked out to have anyone help yet, and DH is being a stubborn mule about helping me. *sigh*

So I have a huge, awful mess. We will probably have to brush out a little bit in the back to get it separated, but I think it'll be fine. And we'll use some strings or rubberbands this time to keep them separated!

And, if it doesn't work.. I'll probably just shave my head. I am not crazy about how my dreads feel so far (the ones that are still in, anyway) but I think that's mostly because of my dandruff. I've been working on that, and ACV is helping a lot.

Anywho.. glad to see so much activity lately! Hopefully I'll have a good update after the weekend!
How'd it go?
#142 of 208 Old 11-23-2008, 08:45 PM

Today...I was in the middle of a chat with my mum about curtains, and she stopped and went: "wait, are you making DREADLOCKS?"
I was like, "yep, and so were thinking we might put up a tension rod with the rest of those curtains with the gingham at top..."
"WHY?"
I just kind of kept talking.

We worked on my dreads for hours this weekend and they are def, going through an awkward phase. We ripped almost all of them apart (there are three amigos left waiting and trying to stage their own coup (sp?) ) to the scalp, it took forever. My bangs are becoming a funny texture and trying to sneak into some of the dreads...And the ends of most of them are pretty ratty looking...I am hoping eveything gets past this present awakward stage before Christmas & the pics that it entails.
#143 of 208 Old 11-26-2008, 01:20 AM

mamas, how do you getg dandruff out of the actual dreads?? I have been just leaving them alone, and not really paying attention to them for a few days, and i took off my bandana today and started pulling them apart and there is dandruff all over the hair, into the dreaded area what do i do?

Jackie and Rafael (4/15/04)
DS (4/25/05) my unschooled airbending pokemon wizard 
DD (10/05/06) my spirited pixie, who weaned at 3 yrs 10 months
DD (7/27/09) my UC water baby - I mean toddler!

DS (2/21/12) UC #2! My littlest love

#144 of 208 Old 11-26-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruiz_415 View Post
mamas, how do you getg dandruff out of the actual dreads?? I have been just leaving them alone, and not really paying attention to them for a few days, and i took off my bandana today and started pulling them apart and there is dandruff all over the hair, into the dreaded area what do i do?

I don't think you can...or at least I haven't been able to completely. I do try to avoid palmrolling near the scalp for that reason and just wash well.

Your best bet is preventing as much as possible. I also noticed recently that the more I wear a wrap or bandana the worse my scalp gets. Not enough fresh air and sunlight maybe?

I've mixed the ACV and rosemary with water in a squirt bottle so I can spray my scalp. I usually do it right after washing when my hair is alreday wet. I seem to be able to get the affected spots more thoroughly and it's slowly getting better. I think I'm not eating well or getting enough water though so it's not going as fast as it did during the summer.
#145 of 208 Old 11-26-2008, 04:22 PM

So i have to just leave the dandruff in the dreads? I though I heard somewhere that ACV dissolves it? Ugh! It looks so nasty...

Jackie and Rafael (4/15/04)
DS (4/25/05) my unschooled airbending pokemon wizard 
DD (10/05/06) my spirited pixie, who weaned at 3 yrs 10 months
DD (7/27/09) my UC water baby - I mean toddler!

DS (2/21/12) UC #2! My littlest love

#146 of 208 Old 11-26-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
How'd it go?

Welll.....

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...a/IMG_9069.jpg

:

I knew I needed an excuse to use more smilies!! lol

I am feeling pretty good about it. I really like my head shaved, so far.

I am sure I will try dreads again, though.
#147 of 208 Old 11-26-2008, 04:36 PM

Well you're hot that's for sure!

I think you look freaking great! But don't tell my DH I am hitting on you.

#148 of 208 Old 11-26-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Welll.....

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...a/IMG_9069.jpg

:

I knew I needed an excuse to use more smilies!! lol

I am feeling pretty good about it. I really like my head shaved, so far.

I am sure I will try dreads again, though.
*scream* wow, brave woman! I hope you love it. I had my hair buzzed when I was 19 and EVERYONE thought I was a boy. Even my future MIL didn't recognize me. : I have been trying to find the guts to do it ever since and haven't been able to muster them. Have fun!
#149 of 208 Old 11-26-2008, 11:35 PM

Nemesis.. you totally pull that look off! Me? I'd look like a boot camp marine..

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#150 of 208 Old 11-27-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruiz_415 View Post
So i have to just leave the dandruff in the dreads? I though I heard somewhere that ACV dissolves it? Ugh! It looks so nasty...
I would probably do a deep cleanse and hope it helps loosen most of it. Basically soak them in a bucket with baking soda and then rinse with ACV....there are pictures directions at GUDU I think.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page