Dready Mamas - End 2008 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 208 Old 10-09-2008, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since we were 30 pages in I thought I would start a new dready thread for the end of the year...how can I post pics? Do I have to post them to a website first or can I attach them directly?

I also have a question...do your dreads have "growth spurts"? Sometimes it seems as if the dreads are going nowhere and than all of the sudden one day they lock up like crazy and make a lot of progress. I pretty much leave them alone except for separating and washing...thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 208 Old 10-10-2008, 10:46 AM

I wish my dreads had growth spurts. They just keep locking tighter and tighter and shrinking But I love them just the same and am glad I didn't cut them off last month :

Wow, is it me or did this year fly by??????

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#3 of 208 Old 10-10-2008, 11:37 AM

I hope my dreads have growth spurts. Right now the backcombing has mostly come out. I am not feeling very hopeful yet. Last night DH asked if we should just comb them out.

On the upside, they are mostly not dreaded so I can still get my hair into a ponytail if I need to look normal. lol
#4 of 208 Old 10-10-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnipmama View Post
Since we were 30 pages in I thought I would start a new dready thread for the end of the year...how can I post pics? Do I have to post them to a website first or can I attach them directly?

I also have a question...do your dreads have "growth spurts"? Sometimes it seems as if the dreads are going nowhere and than all of the sudden one day they lock up like crazy and make a lot of progress. I pretty much leave them alone except for separating and washing...thoughts?
You CAN stick them on a website first...For some reason I thought we weren't supposed to post pics directly in our posts?? Though sometimes people do...Hmmm....
#5 of 208 Old 10-10-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhamom View Post
I wish my dreads had growth spurts. They just keep locking tighter and tighter and shrinking But I love them just the same and am glad I didn't cut them off last month :

Wow, is it me or did this year fly by??????

Ha, it flew and it crawled. It was one of the hardest years of my life --the transition from one kiddo to two when the first was under 2 and the new baby wanted to be held 24-7 and refuesed to sleep was really.really.REALLY hard for me.
#6 of 208 Old 10-10-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I hope my dreads have growth spurts. Right now the backcombing has mostly come out. I am not feeling very hopeful yet. Last night DH asked if we should just comb them out.

On the upside, they are mostly not dreaded so I can still get my hair into a ponytail if I need to look normal. lol
How long have you had them in? Your hair looked in the pics like it started pretty straight?? Mine have been forming for 3 months, but I have the kind of hair where it would dread itself if I didn't condition and untangle it every couple of days. With the baby being young, there were a couple of times I had just done a wash-n-go and the next time I went to wash my hair I had to rip the mats out of it! haha. All that to say, it's probably going to take a while...

BTW, I am still somehow managing to get mine into a ponytail too (yes, a messy one!) and nobody had noticed yet...
#7 of 208 Old 10-10-2008, 03:40 PM

Wanted to add that I wore my dreads down yesterday for the first time. I pulled up the top half since we're still working on sectioning and tidying it, and wore the bottom half down. I took pics to share with you guys, but will have to do it later bc I have a tiny toddler attached to my boob at the moment...:
#8 of 208 Old 10-10-2008, 11:08 PM

We put three more in this evening. One in the space around my right ear, where it had already made itself but was really loose at the roots and tip. DH backcombed it and rolled it till his hands hurt. Then there was a big mat on the right side/top of my head and DH made a line between them to evenly section them, and I RIPPED them apart, which makes them so nice and ready to dread, they are like velcro with all the little ripped hairs in them LOL. Anyway, I ripped and he backcombed them really quick and rolled them and they are already at or surpassing the ones which he backcombed and palmrolled from regular hair a couple months ago. That strikes me as funny.

The biggest challenge so far has been the TIME. I cannot see them on my own head to section, backcomb and roll, so I have been relying on DH to do it...but we have so few moments together alone and seldom big chunks of time (an hour or more) which is needed to work on the dreads...This evening we did it while watching House on Fox on Demand and preschooler was asleep upstairs and baby was asleep in the MT on my front.

Anyway, let me count them...ok...I currently have 12 with hair for 5-10 more depending on how thick we go...

K, just wanted to update.
#9 of 208 Old 10-10-2008, 11:19 PM

I can't wait for pics, Blucactus!

We backcombed mine two weeks ago. I am just discouraged by the amount of hair that won't stay backcombed, I guess. Most of the days I feel okay, but yesterday DH said something about how they didn't look very good... and that made me feel pretty self concious.
Plus, DDs hair is perfect for dreads. She had mature looking dreads in like.. a month! I am jealous, and I don't really have anybody else to compare to... I need some dready friends.
#10 of 208 Old 10-11-2008, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

It's pretty normal for backcombed sections to fall out and loosen a little. They will re-dread on their own, it's kind of like the hair has to get comfortable, kwim?
Also, don't backcomb more than once or twice, you may pull out dreads that were starting to form on their own. It is so hard to be patient, but in a couple of months you will be amazed at the results!
#11 of 208 Old 10-11-2008, 01:25 PM

thanks, turnipmama! I have some days where I feel good about them, and days when I don't love them as much!

Patience... patience...

Oh, and my pics I uploaded to photobucket (www.photobucket.com) and then copied/pasted the img tags for the pictures. I also have flickr and it's easy to just link to here. I really love flickr.
#12 of 208 Old 10-12-2008, 02:27 AM

Hi all! I'm gonna do it! I am soooo excited!!! A good friend of mine has some dready friends and is going to ask them if they can do mine. I have longish thick curly hair that I hardly ever brush and always tie up so I cant wait to be proud of my hair.

Can I join you lovely ladies?

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#13 of 208 Old 10-13-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
We backcombed mine two weeks ago. I am just discouraged by the amount of hair that won't stay backcombed, I guess.
Mine is doing the same thing! I have fine, straight hair, which forms knots really easily on it's own, but a day or two after back combing, most of it comes out, and forms it's own frizzy mess, all grown together. So frustrating!
I hope you're right about the hair re-dreading on it's own, Turnipmma. That was good to hear. I'm just hoping my hair isn't the exception.
#14 of 208 Old 10-14-2008, 10:51 AM

Okay, I need advice!!

I am getting sort of a "bald spot" look right at the top of my crown. Like the dreads are moving apart back there, sort of. I am not explaining this right! lol

Tonight I am going to wash and have DH help me out, but I am not sure what I should ask him to do!
I also have a lot of extra/loose hair. Should I encourage more dreads, or try to combine them with some bigger dreads?

Oh, and please(!) remind me to not freak out. This is what is suppose to happen! My hair looks messy, it's ok! I will upload a pic, if I can. It's hard to see what is going on, because my hair is so dark.
#15 of 208 Old 10-14-2008, 05:39 PM

I had a strange patch, too. It went away, but I don't know when - I just noticed one day that it wasn't there anymore...

Hang in there - it's worth it!
#16 of 208 Old 10-14-2008, 08:04 PM

Hi mamas,
I've been lurking on the dread threads for a while and thought i'd pop in with a question. I just backcombed my dreads in 3 days ago and so far i am pleaslently suprised at how good they look (as long as i ignore the frizzys at the tops). anyway i was wondering how long i'm supposed to wait before i try to wash them? Tia for any advice.

-Sarah

* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 * * rainbow1284.gif 40 * * *

#17 of 208 Old 10-14-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly24 View Post
Hi all! I'm gonna do it! I am soooo excited!!! A good friend of mine has some dready friends and is going to ask them if they can do mine. I have longish thick curly hair that I hardly ever brush and always tie up so I cant wait to be proud of my hair.

Can I join you lovely ladies?
Yes. Welcome! :
#18 of 208 Old 10-14-2008, 09:26 PM

Welcome, Sarah!!!

I waited about 10 days. I have heard anything from 4-5 days to two weeks. Pretty much, as long as you can stand it!

OrganicSister suggested making a spray from apple cider, water and rosemary oil and that has helped a lot with my scalp being itchy.
#19 of 208 Old 10-17-2008, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

I have gotten two random complements in two days from strangers.: Sorry, had to brag, anyone else get some love for their dreads lately? please share!
#20 of 208 Old 10-18-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnipmama View Post
I have gotten two random complements in two days from strangers.: Sorry, had to brag, anyone else get some love for their dreads lately? please share!
Nope. I've only had two people even NOTICE yet, bc the front is still "normal" looking enough and the back is not very noticable in a ponytail bc the ends still look mostly like hair and not dreads sticking out of there. We are working on the sides/front this weekend so I'm thinking this weekend it will become really obvious. Glad for you that you're getting a good response to them! Do you live in an area where it's common to see dreads or no?
#21 of 208 Old 10-18-2008, 12:03 PM

DH is becoming a dreadin' pro!!

Working on the dreads as I type this...This thread has become a journal of sorts to me too since I'm not recording the process anywhere else at the mo. Last night I took apart two of the three huge mats at the top of my head (probably 6-7 dreads worth between the two, plus probably 5 out of the big one on the other side I haven't tackled yet) and DH sectioned them and rolled one, and is working on the rest now. They are coming along really quick at this point bc my hair is like velcro where it was naturally matted and ripped apart. At this point it sticks to itself like velcro, it's pretty funny. And DH is getting better and better at backcombing and rolling them & tucking the little ends in as he rolls them.

Oh, and ow.
#22 of 208 Old 10-18-2008, 03:34 PM

So I'm working myself up to start on my dreads and set a date to do them, but have a few questions about what to expect. Hope some of you can answer them for me please.

I get dandruff now that i've never been able to get rid of. Have incredubly dry skin all over so suspect it may just be dry skin on scalp too. Is this likely to worsen with dreads? Is there something I can put on scalp to help?

I have very thick wavy hair. I was thinking of dreading bottom half one day and then next half day after as it will no doubt take ages. Is this feasible or will undreaded hair matt into existing dreads overnight and make it harder to do?

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#23 of 208 Old 10-18-2008, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

I am by no means an expert so don't take my word on this but I do have a theory....since you wash your dreads less than normal hair, I would think that your scalp would be less dry since you aren't constantly stripping the oils, however I can imagine dnadruff stuck in dreads would not be fun. Maybe someone with more experience can weigh in on this?
#24 of 208 Old 10-19-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly24 View Post
So I'm working myself up to start on my dreads and set a date to do them, but have a few questions about what to expect. Hope some of you can answer them for me please.I get dandruff now that i've never been able to get rid of. Have incredubly dry skin all over so suspect it may just be dry skin on scalp too. Is this likely to worsen with dreads? Is there something I can put on scalp to help?I have very thick wavy hair. I was thinking of dreading bottom half one day and then next half day after as it will no doubt take ages. Is this feasible or will undreaded hair matt into existing dreads overnight and make it harder to do?
Shouldn't be a problem over night. My hair took weeks & months of neglect for everything to mat together.
#25 of 208 Old 10-21-2008, 05:11 AM

Well I made it 9 days before I just had to wash my hair. I went and found a natural residue free soap, washed, rinsed forever to make sure it was all out, and spent about 1.5 hours blowdrying. time consumong but worth it. my dreads are nice and soft, none of them came undone and no more itchies. yay i love my dreads.
:

* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 * * rainbow1284.gif 40 * * *

#26 of 208 Old 10-21-2008, 12:34 PM

So much dread love here!

I just finished washing and I am fluffy and 80s looking! Overall, I think my hair is dreading up okay. The roots are all matted and weird right now, but I think I need to have an hour or two with DH so he can help me roll them after I wash. I try to do that by myself, but I can only really do the front and top.

I will maybe post a picture soon. I am loving my hair.
#27 of 208 Old 10-24-2008, 09:11 AM

I found a new hazard of having dreads. No less than four times in one night I woke up with my cat's claws stuck in the dreads on the back of my head. Very annoying.

DH put like 10 dreads in the back. Actually I ended up doing the back combing because for some reason he can't figure it out. He counted and said I have 32 in all now. I still have lots of hair on the underside that is not really long enough to dread. I like having mixed hair anyway so I'm not sure I will worry about it.

I have several loops that I have a love hate relationship with. I took a crochet hook to them one day but they popped right back!

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#28 of 208 Old 10-24-2008, 10:47 AM

With much hesitation my mother has agreed to help me backcomb and roll next week. SO I'm hoping for some dreadies by this time next week :

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
#29 of 208 Old 10-24-2008, 12:20 PM

Great to see the dready mamas alive and well on Mothering This tribe helps me sooo much,I really miss it when everyone's quiet!
My dreads are about a month and 1/2 right now...I started with simple neglect and waited til they started forming/matting together on their own then I started ripping those apart and forming more with twist and rip method.I find that they are tighter and better "formed" for my hair than with backcombing and ultimately with less shrinkage than backcombing also.We'll see
I have a few questions,now that I'm in this journey a bit farther:

I have ALOT of loopies and pretty crazy looking bumps and nooks and crannies goin on(I did read this seems more prevalent with twist and rip yet is it ever avoidable?!!)....what do you do for those whacko loops or do you just leave them alone?

I am still washing my hair fairly often,I tend to have oily hair so I actually feel like my hair will lock up better if I wash frequently rather than not,because of my "normally oily" hair type. I am only using a wee bit of shampoo(if any)and I use either Burts Bees pomegranate shampoo or Burt's rosemary mint bar shampoo.Bronner's always seems like it leaves major residue even after I rinse 75 times! Do you think at any point this wil have a negative effect on my locking process,or do you just wash based on your hair type?

I have a really hard time doing anything with the back of hair,so alot of it is not formed,just messy frizzy matted How do you all form your dreads in the back of your head?

When I rip any apart it seems almost immediate that the hair closeby is trying to "marry" the freshly ripped portions...the velcro analogy someone used is very accurate! I don't see how ppl are able to have nice, even,spaced or symetric dreads due to this factor.I don't really want them to be symmetric,but the constant love affair between the dreads is kinda funny.Will there ever come a point that I'm not having to constantly rip them apart from each other?

Thanks for all your wisdom,oh dreadie queens:
#30 of 208 Old 10-25-2008, 04:51 AM

oh wow. i never noticed there was a new thread. gotta remember to post a link to the old thread for those who only check subscriptions

some boards on mdc allow photos, some dont. i think it might be a new feature they're trialling. there's a little icon on the post box that looks like a picture of mountains, use that.

oh, and my dreads did grow in spurts.

sorry i ddn't read past the first few posts.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page