no poo minus baking soda - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-10-2008, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a recent no poo convert, and my hair looks so much better! I have been using bs and acv. But, I started wondering what the heck baking soda is anyway? After a little research I would like to no poo without baking soda. But so far just vinegar has gotten me a touch greasy, heavy like. What else to use? I don't want to use store bought conditioner, so no condition only routine. What about something like sugar? Salt? Any other ideas?

EC so easy with ecaPants!! ~the flip down, drop front, little learning pants

Check out FB for updates, 'seconds' sales, deal announcements, etc smile.gif

#2 of 15 Old 10-10-2008, 06:07 AM

You could try Borax dissolved in water to wash the hair.
Be careful not to let it flow into your eyes and don´t let your children play with it.
You can do the ACV rinse afterwards as well.

Just be careful- if you have brown hair, the borax might turn you into a bit of a red head (looks very natural though).
#3 of 15 Old 10-10-2008, 07:24 AM

A lot of people have success with water only, after an adjustment period
#4 of 15 Old 10-11-2008, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I wasn't exactly sure what borox was either so I checked it out on Wikipedia and chemistry.about.com. Though it may be better than other things, this part made me not want to have it in my hair or house with kids:

"Signs of chronic toxic exposure include red and peeling skin, seizures, and kidney failure. The estimated lethal dose (ingested) for adults is 15-20 grams; less than 5 grams can kill a child or pet. For this reason, borax should not be used around food. More commonly, borax is associated with skin, eye, or respiratory irritation. It is also important to point out that exposure to borax may impair fertility or cause damage to an unborn child."

I would ideally love to use something that is totally natural, harmless, and doesn't cause environmental problems...

I'm just not too exited about water only because my hair gets all greasy like...

Today I made a mixture of brown sugar, olive oil, honey, water, and a tiny bit of baking soda and it worked good. I'll keep experimenting. I felt like I was making a cake and putting it on my head!

#5 of 15 Old 10-11-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riboflavin View Post
But, I started wondering what the heck baking soda is anyway? After a little research I would like to no poo without baking soda.
Just wondering why?

As to borax, it is a stronger alkaline (borax, not boric acid, similar, but boric acid is much stronger)... I use it in the laundry all. the. time. Chronic exposure would be like working in a factory that produced it 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week. There aren't many substances, natural or man made, that aren't toxic around chronic exposure.

Water only would be your best bet for "completely" non-toxic, you'd need a water filter in your shower (not a bad idea anyway) and an adjustment period when you would be a little greasy for a while.

There is no way I'd put olive oil on my hair- if I'm trying to clean it of oil, I'm not adding an oil, i produce enough.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#6 of 15 Old 10-11-2008, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thixle View Post
Just wondering why?
Some baking soda is natural, some is man made. I don't have time to decipher which brands are made naturally. The chemicals used in the processing of baking soda are pollutants and have caused disposal problems. One of the waste beds in NY polluted a nearby lake, deeming it a superfund site.

Quote:
As to borax, it is a stronger alkaline (borax, not boric acid, similar, but boric acid is much stronger)... I use it in the laundry all. the. time. Chronic exposure would be like working in a factory that produced it 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week. There aren't many substances, natural or man made, that aren't toxic around chronic exposure.
Yes, but my next sentence read that only 5 ounces could kill a child or pet. And if it is associated with skin, eye and respiratory irritation, I certainly don't want to be putting it in my kids hair. Maybe I should have added earlier that I am not only no pooing my own hair, but my children's as well.

Quote:
Water only would be your best bet for "completely" non-toxic, you'd need a water filter in your shower (not a bad idea anyway) and an adjustment period when you would be a little greasy for a while.
We do have a whole house water filtration system in place connected to the main line of our house. All water entering out house is filtered. But, there may be other things not as bad as baking soda, but more effective than plain water. I'll just keep experimenting I guess!

Quote:
There is no way I'd put olive oil on my hair- if I'm trying to clean it of oil, I'm not adding an oil, i produce enough.
I don't always add oil to my hair. There are many sites that talk of the benefit of olive oil to the hair. I have very dry hair mostly, just oily on top. Thought I'd try it!

#7 of 15 Old 10-11-2008, 04:59 PM

I dont have any advice for you , but I am seeking some for myself. I have been no-pooing since July and I think I have to go back. I love the first day I rinse after using just bs, but the day I use bs and everyday after the initial rinse-only my hair just does not seem to lay right. It seems a bit oily, and I brush it a lot. When I dry it, it seems to stick up a bit in the back underneath and it just does not look nice. Also, my bangs seems oily looking which is simply not attractive. Augh! I tried conditioner only, but I dont like the oily look that goes along with that. Any advice before I step back into poo land???
#8 of 15 Old 10-12-2008, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't use baking soda. I use various things--chamomile tea, ACV, milk, honey. Honey is a humectant so might help your dry hair. If your hair is dry with greasy roots, it sounds like you need to spread the sebum (grease) over the length of your hair so it can do its job of conditining and protecting. Use a boar bristle brush on detangled hair; it might take a few weeks for the sebum to spread down, but once it has your hair shouldn't look greasy, just shiny. Sebum is there for a reason!

Baking soda often overcleans hair and makes it feel dry/fluffy, so I think you're wise to avoid it. Wean yourself off it gradually if need be. If you move to a water-only routine there will be a greasy transition period, but it's well worth it!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#9 of 15 Old 10-12-2008, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I alternate between bs + acv and only acv, but you might consider just using a tiny amount of doctor bronners then a vinegar rinse...

Also, have you tried the washcloth method?

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#10 of 15 Old 10-14-2008, 09:44 PM

OK, I want to know what the washcloth method is? Please

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#11 of 15 Old 10-14-2008, 10:13 PM

http://www.greendaily.com/2007/10/08/do-you-no-poo/

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

#12 of 15 Old 10-15-2008, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I was about to ask what the washcloth method was! But how do you 'brush with a washcloth' as the article states? Do you just wipe downward? When hair is wet or dry? I would guess wet...

And the chamomile tea sounds interesting. Why does that work? How do you prepare it?

Also, I am still using baking soda, because nothing else I have found to work as well yet. My son usually has very curly hair; but lately it looks only wavy! My hair seems less curly too. But my straight haired boy's hair looks fantastic! Could this just be curly hair transition?

Thanks everyone!

#13 of 15 Old 10-15-2008, 10:15 AM

I don't know, but I would guess you'd figure it out with some trial and error. I think I'd do it wet - another thing I read said you would do it after a shower. Apparently it's what the native americans used to use or something?

#14 of 15 Old 10-21-2008, 02:05 AM

I started using bs and acv in the spring and my hair is so damaged now. It's dry, brittle, frizzy, breaking, and looks bleached. I've done this several times before so I'm not sure what happened this time. I'm so ready to just go back to using Giovanni. I stopped using shampoo on the baby and only using water and his hair looks fine most of the time.

Anyone have any idea why it's so damaged this time? I'm thinking of putting some coconut oil on the ends tomorrow to see if it helps.
#15 of 15 Old 10-21-2008, 08:45 AM

my hair started getting damaged over the summer. I have no idea why, but I stopped using the BS for a while and went w/just vinegar and that seemed to help. I do put coconut oil on the ends (just a tiny amount) though, now. Maybe you need a better ratio of ACV to BS? Like, maybe the ACV isn't enough to rinse out all the BS and the bs is doing weird stuff to your hair? I dunno. You could try the just-conditioner thing for a while?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page