How to get rid of mice w/ a toddler&baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-19-2003, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We discovered a mouse yesterday. How can we get rid of it? I don't want to put down a trap & have little fingers snapped off. I don't want to put poison down for obvious reasons & I don't really want to spray but it seems to be the least of the evils. Any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2003, 08:05 PM

I don't know, but we have the same problem and I am curious to know the answers.

My dh put traps up at night after the kids went to bed, and then got up in the morning and put them away. We never caught the rats though.

They are literally eating through the bottom of our garage door to get into the house. Every morning there is more sawdust on the floor, and more of the door missing. We find rat poop in the kitchen in the morning. We even called an exterminator, and all they did was set traps in the garage, which of course didn't work.

Please, somebody - how does one get rid of rats/mice!?!?!
Old 11-19-2003, 09:11 PM

Get a cat.

We had a pretty bad infestation when we moved in here (ah, the things you don't know when you buy a house...). We tried the sonic repellers, sticky traps (which we would then take far away and release), live traps, mothballs, mint, etc. We even hired an exterminator. Nothing worked. So, we got two young brother cats and have not seen a mouse since. They have never caught one (as far as I know), but I have read that the smell of a cat is enough to keep mice away.

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2003, 09:12 PM

Moving this to the home and body care forum.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:18 PM

Boxers would eat it the first time it went in the front yard..

but I need to get them out too and they are no longer eating the non secondary bait...
and they come in and out so fast -we are surrounded by three fields..
and I need to get them out fast for obvious and some not obvious reasons
At this point i am considering dcon while we are gone and the dogs are at the kennel....
Old 11-20-2003, 02:27 AM

do not use any sort of poison or spray...dead mice STINK. Trust me. I used glue traps, but the mice dying a slow lingering death bothered me. I did take some in glue traps and dunk them in the toilet and drowned them. Snap traps were the fastest and least cruel, and I didn't have to find somwhere to release 52 mice. (I did catch one alive and release it.) There are plenty of places not toddler accessible I used. The basement, behind a heavy armoire, under the stove, in the pantry, under the couch. Those are they places they tend to be anyway.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

How can I do this with a toddler and newborn? I don't want to put traps down for a curious toddler to find and risk snapping off a finger. I also don't want to put down poison for obvious reasons. So it seems like I'm left with contacting a rodent control company to spray?? if they even do and leave the house for a couple days (spend it at my in-laws).

Do you have any other suggestions or gentle sprays to use?
Old 11-20-2003, 03:59 AM

Get a cat. Even if the kitty is a crummy mouser, the smell of a large carnivore may give the mouse the idea that your house is not a good place to live.

This really is my best suggestion, I had mice SO BAD and we got two cats and within a month, no mice
Old 11-20-2003, 04:55 AM

two suggestions:
1) if you can't get a cat, get some cat poop and put that around; it might scare off the mice.
2) you can get no kill traps and release the mice, aliv, elsewhere. personally I like this option, and i like the values it would show the kids, too; that killing is to be avoided if possible. Try a hardware store for the no-kill traps.

good luck.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:53 AM
Dar

It's a bad year for mice. We live out in the country with two inside cats, and the mice don't seem at all intimidated by their poop, smaell, or actual presence. One of the cats is a fair mouser, but she won't eat them, instead she leaves dead mice in Rain's bed. Poor Rain. The other cat has no interest. The no-kill traps we've tried don't work - the mice take the bait and leave.

We finally got some of the traditional old mouse traps, 2 for $1 st the hardware store. I put them places where children and pets can't get to - under the sink (with childproof lock on the door), behind the heavy stove,on the counter behind the microwave, places like that. They work. Sometimes the mice manage to steal the bait, but it you get something sticky (cream cheese, peanut butter) and smush it on really well, you have better luck.

You do then have to deal with dead mice in a trap. I found it easier to deal with that then dead mice in a bed, actually.

Poisons make me nervous, and then you end up with dead, poison-filled mice somewhere in your home.

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 11-20-2003, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
we've used Hav-A-Heart no kill traps for the occasional mouse with success in the past. you just have to take the mousey far enough away from your house that she doesn't come back. we borrowed the trap we used from a friend who had a mouse problem in her former abode, but didn't run into the same problem in her new second floor apt. not sure where she got it, but i think the hardware store is a good suggestion -- maybe a big box home improvement store like Lowe's or Home Despot although your small local hardware store would probably be a better bet. no poison, no dead mouseys, just a little relocation. worked great for us.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 11-20-2003, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You can just put the trap out at night when your toddler is asleep and pick it up again first thing in the morning. Night is when the mouse will be active anyway. If you only have one mouse, you'll probably only have to put the trap out for a night or two before you catch it.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:36 PM

I agree that this is a bad year for mice...why is that? Maybe because our former mouser is now an old gentleman cat who honestly can't catch anything...

we use the sticky traps; the box lists a way to use them humanely to relocate the mouse. When we find one of the little darlings trapped, we put it and the trap in a deep plastic cooler , then pour veggie oil on the trap. It loosens the mouse's hold, and the mouse is trapped in the cooler but free from the trap until we can get a chance to relocate it.

The books all say to place any trap you use in a kinda inaccessible place cause that's where the mice will be anyeway.

We also use steel wool to block any little hole that they are using to get into a room. We've just about won the battle in the kitchen. But I know I have to tackle the attic...that's where the real probleme lies in our house.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:50 PM

We live in an old farmhouse in the country and have lots of mice this time of year.

In the living part of the house we use a hav-a-hart trap and a cheaper plastic box style trap (that we bought at the hardware store) that catches but doesn't kill the mice.

In the basement ( which the kids can not get to) we use the cheap wooden kill traps which absolutely could take off a finger off.

I'm thinking of getting a cat!
Old 11-20-2003, 02:39 PM

I'll agree with the no-kill traps. Peanut butter crackers work really well, and they're safe for little ones.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:41 AM
Dar

So you can actually release mice from the glue traps? That sounds good. We just take them to one of the three barns here o our property, each of which comes equipped with two owls, so they probably don't survive for long... but it's that circle of life thing.

We tried oth the cheap little box no-kills ($5) and the Havaharts, which were $15+, and neither actually caught any mice. Bair disappeared, though. I think we have smart mice....

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 11-21-2003, 01:29 AM

should hear some of my tales...
A friend told me I should write a children's book about it...
thinking about it
Maybe yours are cousins to ours..-we have had Attila, compumouse, intellimouse
Old 11-21-2003, 01:30 AM

Yeah, we did the vegetable oil with the glue traps and let them go. Just be sure to take the mousie more than a mile away---I've read they can find their way back to a former meal pretty easily .

Oh, and don't take pity on them and try to help them off. They can do it themselves. Mousie bites don't feel so good (ask me how I know : ).
Old 11-21-2003, 02:04 AM

We live in the middle of the National Park, so I feel ya...we had about a dozen when we first moved in.

We couldn't get a cat, so we did the next best thing: we borrowed one.

We called a friend who has a large gentle cat (so she would behave with our 13 month old) and borrowed the cat for a weekend.

That was 6 months ago. We are still mouse-free.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What I've learned about having mice:

My cat sucks at catching them (he has no teeth, short claws and no interest). Works for some though.

Glue traps are a slow, painful, starving or leg-chewing-off death. I don't recommend this method.

Snap traps are a quick and relatively painless death IF the mouse is smart enough to stick his head in there. I found one trap with a limb stuck in it bear-trap style dragged across the garage. I felt horrible. But I recommend these anyway. You can't successfully reuse them... the mice smell death on them and stay away. The cheap, disposable ones are fine.

Havahart traps are a wonderful idea in the summer. In the winter the mice will come back inside, freeze outside (since they have no home) get eaten or even starve. In the summer you may be successful if you drive them far away, but they're smart and will find their way back to warmth and free food.
Also, if you don't check often in the winter, you'll find a frozen little mouse in the trap, and still feel lousy (it'll freeze or dehydrate in a short period of time). Yep, it happened to me.

Poisons are horrid... you don't want the mice dying in your walls, even if the box says they'll go in search of water outside. That is stinky and gross.

I recommend the snap traps, baited with peanut butter and left where little fingers can't get them (in locked cabinets in the back wherever you find the critters), in the garage, or removed in the morning. The kids don't have to know about them.

I love mice, had pet mice (well, all sorts of little critters) and hate to kill them, but having them in the walls is a health and fire hazard. It's hard to kill those cute little buggers, but a necessary evil, I guess.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:34 AM

I just wanted to clarify:

The cat we borrowed never caught a single mouse to our knowledge. We never found any, or smelled any either. It was just having the cat around that made the mice deccide to find another pad!
Old 11-22-2003, 12:40 AM

my mice hid successfully from my two small and very eager to eat the mice dogs...they hid so well we were overrun before I realized we even had them. I found I could reuse my snaps ok, the smell of peanut butter was more important than the prior mouse death. Maybe I had hungry mice. I did catch those 52 in a little over a month. I felt horrible the whole time, but a bit better after talking with my pest guy. He said if I used those multiple capacity live traps they might also start attacking each other while in the trap. that he's seen that before when he uses live traps. I don't know if that's true. I saw large metal ones online. If you're really against death traps, you could try it. Check them VERY frequently though. I used a large pair of metal restaurant style tongs to help me open and then place the set snap traps so I didn't have to get so close to the dead mice. I still call them my "mouse tongs".

Spraying has been mentioned a coupld of times...I can't think of what you'd spray that wouldn't be at least somewhat toxic for the people as well as the mice, and creating the same dead mouse stinkiness as poison bait. I haven't heard of any non toxic "keep away from my house" spray. The few that died by poison bait before I realized my mistake almost drove us out of the house. They were inside a wall and in the basement and youu could smell them from upstairs. I had to rip open the wall and get rid of them.

You might want to also look around about how they're entering. I found a new pipe that had been put into the foundation and not caulked properly.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Kinda gross, but I wonder if they're repelled by the smell of urine... I tried to get dh to pee around my garden last summer to keep the deer out, but he just wouldn't do it (even when I offered to buy the beer to motivate him!!:LOL )

Not like I recommend peeing all over your house, but I wonder if just by the foundation would work? :LOL

Ok, I'll go to bed now... and pee in the potty where it belongs...
Old 11-22-2003, 02:57 AM

MY CATS ARE MOUSERS!

They've figured out how to open the door to the basement and have been trying to spend as much time down there as possible. Well, today I found out why---I found a very dead, very played with mouse. WTG, cats! I was pretty surprised...but glad that their mousing skills have been put to the test and they were up to it.

OK, back to the original topic. I was just so thrilled!
Old 11-22-2003, 06:52 AM

and come borrow your cats
ROFL:LOL

User Tag List