"They took thimerosal out of vaccines in 1999" WRONG! Let's set the record straight - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 01-17-2006, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
The MMR does not contain thimerosal. Let me know if you'd like to see the package insert.

Did the MMR ever have Thimerosol? Wasn't the Thimerosol in the MMR the center of the Autism and vaccines debate? Just trying to make sure I have all of my facts straight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 43 Old 01-17-2006, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Did the MMR ever have Thimerosol? Wasn't the Thimerosol in the MMR the center of the Autism and vaccines debate? Just trying to make sure I have all of my facts straight
no.

thimerasol is apart of the debate regarding autism but it was not in the mmr.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#33 of 43 Old 01-23-2006, 11:48 PM

#34 of 43 Old 01-24-2006, 12:10 AM

I added that link from the other thread.

why are there so many spellings for it?
Anyway..I find its entire tone interesting..minimizing the risks..worrying about "changing the formulation having an impact on efficacy"...a bit condesending.

But thru the muck...if you are in a situation where you choose to vax...or feel like you may be running out of of immediate options...and you are looking for a thimerosal free product..because while you argee there are many controversies..and other ingredients and issues that cause concern..it appears if you read the inserts and choose from a very abbreviated list..you appear to be able to have a thimerosal-free product.

Thiomersal elimination indicates that thiomersal is not used at any stage of production. Such product is considered as a thiomersal - free vaccine. Reduction of thiomersal means that thiomersal is used at some stage of vaccine production but its amount has been reduced in comparison with the amount in the already licensed vaccine. Reduction of thiomersal, even if significant, results in residual levels of thiomersal and such a product is not considered to be a thiomersal - free vaccine. Adopted by the 53rd meeting of the WHO Expert Committee on Biological Standardization, 17-21 February 2003. A definitive
version of this document, which will differ from this version in editorial but not scientific detail, will be published in the WHO
Technical Report Series.
#35 of 43 Old 01-24-2006, 12:50 AM

54321 ~ I hope you take this the right way..

the reason there are so many spellings is that americans insist on spelling many things differently to the rest of the world.

Thiomersal was never in mercury and the fact that some people said it was is testimony to the fact that people on both sides of the argument can jump to conclusions.

But I've never argued the "MMR causes autism because of the thiomersla in it" because I knew it never did... BUT up until 2001 in this country kids would get MMR in one arm, and two other vaccines in the other which did have thiomersal in them, so it wouldn't have mattered if MMR had had it in or not. The children still got thiomersal at the same time, just from different needles.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#36 of 43 Old 01-24-2006, 01:48 AM

I think I took it the right way..It took me awhile 6 yrs ago to learn to spell it..and I guess it just really pops when I see it spelled alternately.
I've known the MMR did not contain it..which is why the autism debate..which I see a couple a threads a few pages back I'd like to check out..is confusing.
Thimerosal is only 1 piece of the puzzle in my opinion...I think it is a really big piece..but only a piece.
I also worked with 2 children that had autism..one had "gut issues" and his mother believes those issues were connected to the MMR.
It has been along time but I have read some of Andrew Wakefield opinions..I will check out those discussions a few pages back.
#37 of 43 Old 02-08-2006, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

#38 of 43 Old 02-08-2006, 08:49 PM

I also know a doc that once they learned, or rather now knew the pubilc knew about the thimerisol, still used up all old vaxs on the shelves to the kids whose parents didn't ask. then when that supply was used up, they went with the "thimerisol free" (still not right) stock. sad and unethical.

also, off topic, but does anyone know why some docs give shots in the arms and others in the legs? my first dd always got hers in her legs until we stopped vaxing. What is the difference?
#39 of 43 Old 02-09-2006, 02:17 AM

Ok, I'm confused now! I came here to find out about this very topic.

My SIL delayed vax until her kids were 5 and 7. Then she started doing a standard vax schedule in late 2004/2005, under the belief that thimerosal had been removed from the vaccines. Then she heard that many still contained thimerosal so at the next visit she asked to see the package insert. Sure enough, it was listed (not sure for which vax) and so she declined and has done no further shots since then. She's kicking herself for not having read the inserts from the beginning.

Here's the thing: Her ped's office says they get new vax shipments every month. So this shouldn't have been old stock. Does this mean the thimerosal was likely only a trace amount, rather than a preservative? How can she find out -- using the lot numbers?

Thanks!
#40 of 43 Old 02-09-2006, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamama
Does this mean the thimerosal was likely only a trace amount
Yes.

Here is a list of thimerosal concentrations: http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/thi-table.htm

Those vaccine formulations with a[*] contain what the government calls "trace" amounts:

* This product should be considered equivalent to thimerosal-free products. This vaccine may contain trace amounts (<0.3 mcg) of mercury left after post-production thimerosal removal; these amounts have no biological effect. JAMA 1999;282(18) and JAMA 2000;283(16).
#41 of 43 Old 02-09-2006, 11:38 AM

Thanks! I've forwarded the table to my SIL.
#42 of 43 Old 02-09-2006, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to clarify regarding the government's definition for trace amounts of thimerosal. The government claims the amount of thimerosal would be "1 microgram or less."
#43 of 43 Old 03-19-2006, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page