Sodium Ascorbate - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 431 Old 10-06-2006, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How fast does your body (bowels ) let you know when you overdose on vit C/Sodium Ascorbate? And does the Vit C make pee go neon?
#302 of 431 Old 10-11-2006, 10:30 AM

O.K. first forgive me if this has been answered before but I tried to re-read the thread at 2am and now am confused:
Ihave SA from bronson labs and add it to o.j.diluted w/water and meand kids drink it down no problem....but .....bioflavanoid powder is ...well...,yuck: soooo, my question is can we get bioflaanoids from another source?
do we have to take it at the same time as SA???
when we are feelind sick and up our dose of SA do we up our dose of bioflavanoids or can we just forgo that for a few days???
thanks to whoever answers me and if it has been answered maybe just refer me to the page of the post
awsome thread
#303 of 431 Old 10-11-2006, 11:35 AM

I take bioflavonoid pills--approx 1 g to every 5g SA. The pills I've got are each 1g, so in the morning when I take 2-3 g of my SA, I just cut the biofl. pill in half and figure it's close enough (and I always take it at the same time). I take more biofl. as I take more SA. It may not be as absorbable as powder, but it's the only form I've been able to find.
#304 of 431 Old 10-13-2006, 12:09 PM

Don't know about the neon urine! That usually comes with the water soluable vitamins, such as the B group, because they're made with flourescent ingredients. Sorry can't help you more on that. http://cforyourself.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Isabel View Post
How fast does your body (bowels ) let you know when you overdose on vit C/Sodium Ascorbate?
Depends on how much your body needs at the time. Have a read of Cathcart's site:
Quote:
"In 1970, I discovered that the sicker a patient was, the more ascorbic acid he would tolerate by mouth before diarrhea was produced."
I've taken 40 GRAMS at one dose and NO watery stools what so ever. Other times I can take less and I'm running. The beauty of SA is that if you can taste the saltiness in your half a cup of water, then you probably are taking too much at that particular moment. If you can't taste it in the half cup of fresh water, then possibly it isn't enough. Keep adding little by little to your water until you just start to taste the saltiness... That's your cut off dose. However other times your body will need more, then another time less. The need is based on many factors. http://www.mall-net.com/cathcart/titrate.html
If you can get C-stix, then all the better. Once you measure urinary spillover, then you know your tissues have saturation levels. If I had C-stix I'd be better able to plan my day, not worrying about bowel titration at the wrong moment!the_1982_letter_on_vitamin_c_and_cancer
#305 of 431 Old 10-18-2006, 01:40 PM

Wow, I've read through this thread with a great deal of interest. I've been wanting to get some C into my kids, and now I see that I should.

So, here's what I've learned. SA powder is the best and cheapest way to go, but the Natural Factors C500 fruit chews are an acceptable and convenient alternative.

My question (and please forgive if this seems way obvious to all you who already use the SA powder): If I order the SA powder, what I imagine getting is a box/bottle of, well...powder. People talk about giving so-and-so many grams, but how exactly do you measure that out? By the teaspoon? Do you weigh it somehow? A pinch?

I'd be giving it to a 125 lb adult (me), a 40lb 3yo, and a 55lb 7yo.

Thanks again for this very informative discussion, especially to MT!
#306 of 431 Old 10-18-2006, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
I keep a 1/3 teaspoon measure in my container (I scoop some into a smaller container that I can keep out on the counter). 1/3 t. is roughly equivalent to 1 gram, according to the container. Different brands may measure slightly differently.
Deborah
#307 of 431 Old 10-18-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
I keep a 1/3 teaspoon measure in my container (I scoop some into a smaller container that I can keep out on the counter). 1/3 t. is roughly equivalent to 1 gram, according to the container. Different brands may measure slightly differently.
Deborah
Is there a gram per pound recommended starting dosage? I haven't read the whole thread...
#308 of 431 Old 10-18-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
My question (and please forgive if this seems way obvious to all you who already use the SA powder): If I order the SA powder, what I imagine getting is a box/bottle of, well...powder. People talk about giving so-and-so many grams, but how exactly do you measure that out? By the teaspoon? Do you weigh it somehow? A pinch?
If you order from Bronson, they include a scoop which equals 1 gram. Your pharmacy could probably give you one too.
#309 of 431 Old 10-18-2006, 03:42 PM

I am sorry if this is a sad repeat but would this be the same for say, Hylands vit C tabs? or another type of vit C - like a liquid? for an infant...4 mo.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara View Post
It depends on the child. I start at 250 mg per kg of body weight.

1 kg = 2.2 pounds. so your 32 lb one, is 14.5 kgs, x 250 mgs = 3,636 mgs over waking hours.

24 lbs divided by 2.2= 9.9 x 250 = 2,475 mgs over waking hours. Obviously I don't worry about exact numbers. 1,000 mgs = 1/4 level tsp. so I eyeball it from there.

If that doesn't bring results, I up the dose.

Our youngest needs almost double the dose the oldest needs.

For my husband it certainly is. He was able to drop all antihistamine medication once he got onto a decent dose of vitamin c.
#310 of 431 Old 10-19-2006, 01:46 AM

Is that 250 mg per Kg also true of adults?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#311 of 431 Old 10-19-2006, 01:56 AM

Phisher, I don't use tablets ever, for children under 3 years.

Pookie, yes and no. It depends on the immune system, but its a starting dose.

Error and trial, you know?

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#312 of 431 Old 10-19-2006, 02:25 AM

Thank you I take it the liquid is the preferred method? ??
I need to find a natur/homeopath around here! :

Quote:
Phisher, I don't use tablets ever, for children under 3 years.
#313 of 431 Old 10-19-2006, 02:33 AM

Some kids like to annoy parents by choking on tablets

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#314 of 431 Old 10-19-2006, 02:40 AM

Oh I get that totally - I just wasn't thinking right off the cuff when I wrote the original post... I was on my way out ther door trying to read this super long thread!! and trying to figure out what would be the best path to tak e with DS - I'll definately wait until I get it figured out... no tabs for DS!
Quote:
#315 of 431 Old 10-19-2006, 06:37 AM

What does it mean if my bowels won't even tolerate 1,000 mg? Wrong brand?
#316 of 431 Old 10-19-2006, 09:32 AM

Can any of yo tell me which SA you buy from Bronsons I see 2 which one is best for children. I have to try a different one the NOW brand bothers DD

thanks
amy
#317 of 431 Old 10-19-2006, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the info about scooping out the powder. I was having a hard time visualizing that...

But now - when I went to the Bronson site, every Vitamin C product says, "Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid...." So which one is the sodium ascorbate, then?
#318 of 431 Old 10-19-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:
thats not a hazard with the hylands ones, they disolve instantly
#319 of 431 Old 10-20-2006, 12:15 PM

I'm interested in reading more about making your own Sodium Ascorbate by mixing Ascorbic Acid powder with baking soda (sodium bicarb). What I did before (recommended by The Perfect Prescription For Your Teeth book) was mix 1 tsp of the ascorbic acid with 1/2 tsp of baking soda--then add an inch of water and letting it fizz, then adding 4-8 oz more water. Supposedly non-acid, and I've never had a problem drinking it that way. It tastes like flat mineral water.

But I read here earlier to mix it in a 1-1 ratio? Thats 1/2 tsp more baking soda than what I've been doing. Is that a problem? Am I not making proper SA, or is it an unbalanced mix? Thanks in advance!!
#320 of 431 Old 10-20-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy974 View Post
I have been using SA for a good while now but when I use it on my youngest who is 5 she always gets irritated in her private region. it will burn when she pees and her skin get real red. Have any of you had this problem at all.
thanks
amy
I've recently noticed this in myself--it makes me itchy. I've used several brands and it happens with all of them. And of course I just ordered 5 lbs of it from Bronson's!
#321 of 431 Old 10-20-2006, 01:06 PM

Kellybelly - I made this post before about the chemistry of mixing sodium bicarb and ascorbic acid. One thing I didn't note was that in order to get the reaction to occur, it needs to be done in a solvent (water), but then it is necessarily diluted and needs to be dried, which is probably beyond what most of us can achieve at home. I guess when you m ix them dry, the reaction theoretically occurs in your belly, but with the pH being so low there, I amnot sure how it would proceed or if it would. Hmm, I should look into this further.

This is the run down on the correct ratios from the chemical standpoint though.

The ratio is one to one, but you must do it based upon molecular weight, as it is a molar ratio you are attempting to achieve.

Thus, you would use one mole of ascorbic acid to one mole of sodium bicarbonate.

Molecular weight NaHCO3 (sodium bicarb) = 84. g/mol
Molecular weight C6H8O6 (ascorbic acid) = 176.13 g/mol

To make one mole of sodium ascorbate, you would use 84 grams of sodium bicarb and 176 grams of the acid, for a total of 260.13 grams. The reaction yields 1 mole of sodium ascorbate, one mole of water (18 grams), and one mole of carbon dioxide (44 grams), so your total sodium ascorbate would be 198.13 grams.

So, if you were trying to make, say, a 100 gram solution, you would use approximately 32.3 grams sodium bicarb and 67.7 grams of ascorbic acid. (which is close to the 2:1 ratio mentioned by PP) The densities of the two components differs significantly enough that using simply a dry measuring system (instead of weights) would yield an inexact ratio unless you did the proper calculations and made corrections for that difference
#322 of 431 Old 10-20-2006, 01:18 PM

Wow Swirly, you're making my head : Cool info.
#323 of 431 Old 10-20-2006, 04:39 PM

What a awesome thread!

Now, that I've read the whole thing~ I have a few questions.

The ratio is 1:5, for adults AND children, correct?

Also, is the Herpasin (sp?) the same as the bioflavnoids (sp?) ?

MT~ If you're still reading this thread, I know I read somewhere that you take magnesium for a flipping heart, do you have another thread/link you can point me to for it? I'm having that problem alot lately.
#324 of 431 Old 10-20-2006, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodiM View Post
I know I read somewhere that you take magnesium for a flipping heart, do you have another thread/link you can point me to for it? I'm having that problem alot lately.
I don't have a link, but I do know about taking mag for heart palps. I went to many doctors, including a cardiologist, took mulitiple tests, and they couldn't find anything wrong with my heart. Then I read here on MDC about taking mag supplements for palpitations. Sure enough, that was the problem (so much for medical wisdom). My heart jumps began shortly after giving birth, and it's obvious to me now that I'm losing too much mag through bfing, so I take about 800-900 mg a day. If I need more, my heart will tell me and I pop one. I tried many kinds of mag, but I've found that the cheaper mag oxide works just fine. Be careful with mag citrate--it's a serious laxative! Find your opti-dose in the same way as with SA, until you reach bowel tolerance. There's a great book that'll tell you more: The Miracle of Magnesium by Carolyn Dean.

Good luck!
#325 of 431 Old 10-22-2006, 12:29 AM

O.K. Iv'e read that some babies get a reaction from SA in the diaper area....my question is,...is it possible for a child to be allergic to SA? like break out in hives??and if yes could this occur after taking it for some time or would it be immediate???ds broke out in hives today and itcould be from many different things , but I am hoping to rule SA out first , Ihave given him SA before and he had no reaction but today he broke out in hives about 1/2hour after drinking some SA.
#326 of 431 Old 10-22-2006, 06:08 PM

Swirly, I don't need to be precise. A 2 to one ratio would be all I need to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodiM View Post
What a awesome thread!

Now, that I've read the whole thing~ I have a few questions.

The ratio is 1:5, for adults AND children, correct?

Also, is the Herpasin (sp?) the same as the bioflavnoids (sp?) ?
I don't know. I just use citrus bioflavinoids.

Quote:
MT~ If you're still reading this thread, I know I read somewhere that you take magnesium for a flipping heart, do you have another thread/link you can point me to for it? I'm having that problem alot lately.
I think you may find something on that in the nutrition thread up the top. The book mentioned is great. But a google search will find you a lot of information.

My husband has also commented that he is finding it a lot easier to get through a lot of physical work having been on magnesium for some time now. Far less cramp and "stiffness" in the morning as well.

#327 of 431 Old 10-22-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombh View Post
O.K. Iv'e read that some babies get a reaction from SA in the diaper area....my question is,...is it possible for a child to be allergic to SA? like break out in hives??and if yes could this occur after taking it for some time or would it be immediate???ds broke out in hives today and itcould be from many different things , but I am hoping to rule SA out first , Ihave given him SA before and he had no reaction but today he broke out in hives about 1/2hour after drinking some SA.
short answer.... who knows? Most people go through life being able to take antibiotics, but they will kill me.

The only way to find out, if you can't pin it to anything else, is to leave it a while, and try a small dose some time in the future if you wish to.

My son's girlfriend had an anaphylactic response while eating cereal one morning, which resulted in me having to take her to the local doctor and an ambulance trip to hospital. No-one could pin it down, she was assigned an epi-pen and for weeks wouldn't touch cereal. Eventually she tried it again, and was fine. The only other clue was that on the jacket she was wearing at breakfast, I found a substantial quantity of yellow pollen (she worked in a flower shop).

question, ~ what caused her anaphylaxis?

She's never had another attack since.

#328 of 431 Old 10-22-2006, 06:30 PM

the reaction could be to corn, some SA formulas have a corn derived formula, a few pages back was a link for a non corn non GMO SA
#329 of 431 Old 10-22-2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans_mum View Post
the reaction could be to corn, some SA formulas have a corn derived formula, a few pages back was a link for a non corn non GMO SA
Oh yikes! I missed that. I just ordered some and I have no idea what it's from.
#330 of 431 Old 10-22-2006, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
Are you using non-corn, non-GMO SA? If it doesn't say so, it's probably corn-derived, and GMO. Some people have problems with corn-based products, and would have a problem with SA because of that. Nutribiotic makes one that is corn-free and non-GMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy974 View Post
I have been using SA for a good while now but when I use it on my youngest who is 5 she always gets irritated in her private region. it will burn when she pees and her skin get real red. Have any of you had this problem at all.
thanks
amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
romans mum, here's the link for nutribiotic: http://www.nutribiotic.com/ (they make GSE too). I think it's the ascorbic acid that is corn derived. It's one of those allergy things they don't always tell you.

heres the posts about the corn derived SA and a link to the other type

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page