Sodium Ascorbate - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 431 Old 10-08-2005, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where do you buy your Sodium Ascorbate? None of our Health Food Stores carry it - Ascorbic Acid, but no Sodium Ascorbate. I want to lay some up "against the season" so to speak, in case of flu, pertussis, etc. Is there a good place online that I could order from? TIA!

, , , and
#2 of 431 Old 10-08-2005, 07:18 PM

I buy from Bronson Laboratories Item # 50B. They seem to have the best price and they are online. Dont have the addy offhand.
#3 of 431 Old 10-08-2005, 09:38 PM

Hi,
Got a tip on the Dental forum that sodium ascorbate is good for your gums. Seabarnes, I'm glad you asked this question because I can't find it locally either. BTW, what *is* the difference between sodium ascorbate and ascorbic acid? Can anyone tell me?
Thanks!
#4 of 431 Old 10-09-2005, 12:16 AM

Ascorbic acid, is vitamin C without a buffer. It's very acid, and if you ever use it, use it one to one with sodium bicarbonate.

The first sign of vitamin C deficiency is red gums where the collagen bonds have broken down, and the cells are going spongy, and they bleed when brushed. Vitamin C deficiency is THE primary cause for most gum disorders such as "gingivitis".

But if you have gum redness, then you can also be sure that the rest of your body inside is going the same way.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#5 of 431 Old 10-09-2005, 02:40 AM

I'm too tired to get up and look in the vitamin cabinet right now, but isn't it packaged as "Ester-C" here, in the states?
#6 of 431 Old 10-09-2005, 03:28 AM

Mine is Nutribiotic (Lakeport, CA 95453) Sodium Ascorbate Crystalline Powder (Buffered Vitamin C Pharmaceutical Grade pH 7.1). It is made by dissolving pharmaceutical grade ascorbic acid with sodium bicarbonate derived from sea water. It's food grade and IV grade. I pay about $18.00 for 16oz in a local health food store but the product can be found online, although it costs more.
#7 of 431 Old 10-09-2005, 10:56 AM

i ought to have this down pat by now but i tend to get easily distracted by life- so, i have high quality powdered c & empty capsules (no filler, but easy enough to do by hand). half & half bicarb will get me sodium ascorbate? it was that simple when i've been asking wild oats & my health food store (without effect, may i add) to get me sodium ascorbate for years? doh!

and no, btw, before mt gets to it, ester c is not it.

susan
#8 of 431 Old 10-09-2005, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy To Baby Roni
I'm too tired to get up and look in the vitamin cabinet right now, but isn't it packaged as "Ester-C" here, in the states?
Ester-C is Calcium Ascorbate.
#9 of 431 Old 10-09-2005, 09:49 PM

Never use Ester C, or calcium ascorbate, except, or unless there is NOTHING ELSE around, and do NOT use it long term. If you MUST use it, you will require about double what you'd need with sodium ascorbate, and if you don't salt your food, then you must if you use Ester C. But remember, if there is any possibility that cancer is an issue... excess calcium in the body makes cancer cells go rampant.

That's not the only reason to not use it though...

Well, suseyblue, you can use ascorbic acid and bicarb, but I'm reluctant to do that, because it messes with the stomach acidity. IMO its just better to get sodium ascorbate. Again, if you've got nothing else, then AA + sodium bicarb is better than a kick in the rump.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#10 of 431 Old 10-09-2005, 10:16 PM

I special ordered mine from my local co-op. I paid almost $40 for 3lbs of it It is the NOW brand. Oh, and it tastes disgusting, a lil' FYI.
#11 of 431 Old 10-09-2005, 10:23 PM

AmyD I dont care much for the taste of SA so I stuff it in those gelatin capsules, I get the ones that hold about a gram.

For my one dd who cant swallow I mix C into lemonade, I can get a lot of C into her that way :LOL
#12 of 431 Old 10-09-2005, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
I special ordered mine from my local co-op. I paid almost $40 for 3lbs of it It is the NOW brand. Oh, and it tastes disgusting, a lil' FYI.
Tastes disgusting? Nah.

Try chinese herbal remedies, then you will REALLY know what disgusting is.
applejuice likes this.

#13 of 431 Old 10-09-2005, 11:00 PM

I bought mine from Source Naturals--sodium ascorbate crystals.

Happily married with two sweet boys (8/04 and 6/07) bikenew.gifsleepytime.gifand one sweet baby girl born en caul (2/10)! babygirl.gif
#14 of 431 Old 10-09-2005, 11:44 PM

You can get 8 oz bottles of the NOW brand from Vitaglo.com for $4.64. They also sell 3 pounds for $29.80.

I don't mind the taste, it's just salty really. My 2 year old DD still likes eating baby cereal (you know, the "first food" you mix with breastmilk, formula or water) so when I mix it up for her I add a pinch or 2 of the sodium ascorbate, and she loves it. She actually prefers it with the SA. I've been wondering though, is it okay to mix the SA with almost boiling water?
#15 of 431 Old 10-10-2005, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara
Tastes disgusting? Nah.

: :LOL

I mix mine in a bit of grape or orange juice. I also get ds' into him this way.
#16 of 431 Old 10-10-2005, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Never use Ester C, or calcium ascorbate, except, or unless there is NOTHING ELSE around, and do NOT use it long term.
Thank you! But would it be a good choice while I'm pg?
#17 of 431 Old 10-10-2005, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Tastes disgusting? Nah.

: Haven't tried them yet. I have no problem w/it, but my poor hubby , and the 3 yr old isn't a big fan. Unfortunately/fortunately we are going on the maker's diet and we have to stay away from fruit and sugar, so he just takes it in some water. Will definately do the lemonade trick when we are back eating normally though.

Oh, and I will definately be buying my NOW 3 lbs from that online source, much cheaper than my co-op, thanks for the link!!

Amy
#18 of 431 Old 10-10-2005, 11:54 AM

OK, here's a question - I take Emer'gen-C 1-2X/day (the whole family does) - it lists the Vit C content (1,000) this way: "as Seven Mineral Ascorbates". Sodium (60 mg) is listed separately.

Is this good/bad/otherwise? I love this stuff, it's relatively inexpensive, and it really seems to keep our immune systems in good shape.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#19 of 431 Old 10-10-2005, 12:07 PM

Our MD/ND recommended emergen-c for our 16 month old daughter and my wife takes it too. The kid and adult version are the same price except you get 500mg for the kid and 1000mg for the adult. So you can save money by simply buying the adult version and splitting it in half!
#20 of 431 Old 10-10-2005, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuri's Papa
So you can save money by simply buying the adult version and splitting it in half!
Yeah, that's what I do for my younger kids.

But what I wanna know is, is this a proper way to get the right mix of Vit C & ascorbates? It's most cost-effective for us.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#21 of 431 Old 10-10-2005, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the good info! Castle, that's the cheapest I've been able to find it online, so I'll probably go with that - thanks for the link! So, should we be taking some of this daily, even if we're well, as a preventative measure? I'm knew to this whole supplement thing and trying to learn more. I take an mineral mix by Ionyx as well as an ounce of xango juice on the advice of my naturopath. What else would you recommend?

, , , and
#22 of 431 Old 10-10-2005, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy To Baby Roni
no

#23 of 431 Old 10-10-2005, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
: Haven't tried them yet. I have no problem w/it, but my poor hubby , and the 3 yr old isn't a big fan.
Suggest to them they could wash it down with creasote and bitumen if they would prefer the like.

They REALLY don't know what disgusting is

#24 of 431 Old 10-10-2005, 10:47 PM

#25 of 431 Old 10-11-2005, 12:10 PM

Thanks, MT.
#26 of 431 Old 10-11-2005, 01:44 PM

Mommy To Baby Roni asked:

Montezuma Tuatara answered:
no
---------------

Just to clarify, you mean that Calcium Ascorbate is not a good choice during pregnancy, right? That even during pregnancy Sodium Ascorbate is the best choice?
#27 of 431 Old 10-11-2005, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle
Quote:
Mommy To Baby Roni asked:
Montezuma Tuatara answered:

no

Just to clarify, you mean that Calcium Ascorbate is not a good choice during pregnancy, right? That even during pregnancy Sodium Ascorbate is the best choice?
Yes.

#28 of 431 Old 10-11-2005, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommymama
Mine is Nutribiotic (Lakeport, CA 95453) Sodium Ascorbate Crystalline Powder (Buffered Vitamin C Pharmaceutical Grade pH 7.1). It is made by dissolving pharmaceutical grade ascorbic acid with sodium bicarbonate derived from sea water. It's food grade and IV grade. I pay about $18.00 for 16oz in a local health food store but the product can be found online, although it costs more.
This is the one we use. I buy mine at Whole Foods. I got the 8oz size for approx $10.
#29 of 431 Old 10-11-2005, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Yes.
Thanks!

And sorry for misspelling your username.
#30 of 431 Old 10-11-2005, 07:49 PM

No problem Montezuma's revenge is what you get if you overdose, so it was an apt slip of the pen.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page