Antibiotics can make whooping cough worse. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 08-24-2005, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Was the antibiotic explanation useful/helpful or does it require further elaboration?

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#32 of 38 Old 08-27-2005, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

In looking for the stuff for Annabel about pre-vaccine antibody levels I found this:

Clinical Infectious Diseases 1992;14:708-719 "Epidemiological Features of Pertussis in the United States, 1980 - 1989" Farixo K M. et al.

On page 714 under the table it said:
Quote:

"when treatment with erythromycin was initiated... the duration of cough tended to be even longer than for persons who did not receive erythromycin at all."
Well now, isn't that amazing.

So they've been prescribing antibiotics for pertussis all those years on the basis of garbage science, not realising that it actually makes the outcome for the patient potentially worse?

Oi oi oi....

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#33 of 38 Old 08-28-2005, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara
Was the antibiotic explanation useful/helpful or does it require further elaboration?
Thank you, it was very helpful to me.

And not only for better understanding of pertussis (which I admit was the only disease that still scared me if I have a second child, for the potential of exposing the baby) but for another reason...

I'm currently trying to break through to a casual friend whose DD has had a year of antibiotics, different kinds, low dose prophylactic etc. etc. Her digestion is shot, constant diarrhea and she has been through gut test after gut test in The Best Hospital for Children in the Country. And the drs say they don't know what's wrong with her.

This world is freaking insane.
#34 of 38 Old 08-28-2005, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

There are a couple of threads in Health and Healing on Probiotics and Healing the gut I think. Not everything on them is relevant, and they are long, but put in a nutshell, her gut needs a rebore and lube with probiotics.

#35 of 38 Old 08-29-2005, 12:03 AM
Banned

So, antibiotics given to a person with Whooping Cough will make them more susceptable to getting pneumonia.
What about other respitory illnesses, such as RSV or sinus infection?
Would antibiotics make a person more susceptible to ending up with pneumonia?

Personally, I have stayed away from antibiotics, except when I had pneumonia and surgery.
Since my children are not capable, yet, of making an educated, informed decision with regards to their medical treatment, it is left up to me.
My ds had RSV and has ongoing problems since.
My dd built an immunity and never got sick until last year. 8 years of complete health! She got a sinus infection (I would put money down that it was because she was playing in the mud and picked her nose before washing her hands). The antibiotics landed her in the hospital. I originally wanted to use breastmilk, as that is what has always cured my sinus infections, but...you know, fear brought me to the doctor.
#36 of 38 Old 08-29-2005, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
That explaination makes a whole lot of sense.
Now you've got me thinking about phenylalanine.
#37 of 38 Old 08-30-2005, 03:36 PM

Quote:
#38 of 38 Old 09-16-2005, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

should this thread be archived NOW?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page