What causes the DTaP scream? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 72 Old 09-11-2007, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was convinced to do the dtap at my son's 9 mo appt by my naturapath. It was the only one he recieved and he screamed for 2 days. It's now in his chart and no more vaccinations ever.

Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#62 of 72 Old 09-12-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Now when my first baby was a year old, she spilled scalding hot water on her leg (tipped over one of those old vaporizers) and even though she had 2nd degree burns and she still has a nasty scar to this day on the lower half of her leg, she cried, but not the scream that you hear about wrt to the dpt vaccine. And she didn't scream for hours either, mostly at the time of the injury and then when the drs were cleaning and bandaging.
Luckily I haven't heard this scream. But I was thinking that normally when kids are in pain they scream/cry for awhile and it dies down. The screaming doesn't go on for hours, though may turn into whimpering if the pain still persists. I find it hard to believe that a constant scream for many hours could be from soreness.
#63 of 72 Old 09-12-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
And if you've ever seen a kid with CP very sick, well, they regress. They deteriorate. They go into the hospital for viral infections. It isn't pretty. We didn't need hospitalizations for his vaccines. But I do want to know more, please keep sharing.
Sometimes there are acute reactions from vaccines. Sometimes there is a reaction but it goes unreported as the doctor dismisses any causation. These I don't fear so much as the slow-to-appear and more insidious reactions. Many of us here think these may occur, but its hard to prove since no-one is bothering to do a study. Meanwhile, the more vaccines added to the schedule, the more autoimmune and chronic illness there is in children.

Carly.
#64 of 72 Old 09-12-2007, 06:34 PM

I am starting to wonder if this is what triggered the hysterical/screaming/crying/writhing in pain events that my ds had. I posted a thread in this forum asking about Intussusception. A pedi friend expressed concern that that might be what it was. There have been no findings from blood tests--no signs of infection or metabolic issues. There are no others signs, symptoms, or appearances of illness (no ear infection or anything like that). Perhaps is is coincidence, but the day he had DTaP he fell into a four hour fit of screaming and crying uncontrollably. It was the most horrible thing I have witnessed him go through. He was writhing in pain and his body contorting...it was scary, eerie, horrible.... The dr. on call chalked it up to pain at the injection site. He had no knot, no redness, no fever. In the days since he has not been himself. Don't know if it's related, but his stools were even effected---custardy poop that was sometimes mucousy. He's been prone to crying and is clingy and just doesn't seem quite like the happy, bubbly, adventurous boy he normally is. He had another screaming/crying episode for 45 mins. later in the week and then another one lasting an hour and 15 mins. Evidence or not, I cannot help but think it's not related to the vaccine. He was fine when he went in--picture of health--and never acted anything like this prior to having the DTaP. That is the last vaccine he'll be receiving as long as I am making his healthcare decisions.
#65 of 72 Old 09-12-2007, 06:57 PM

My daughter (now almost 8) had the same thing at 2 months old after her first DTaP. I refused to give her another. She has been fine. (Thank God!)
#66 of 72 Old 09-12-2007, 10:12 PM

My ds1 did not have the screaming after his DTaP vaxes (which he is mostly up to date on, we didn't quit till after 18 months) but after his MMR at 18 months, it was awful. I can't describe the sounds. It didn't start right away, it was a few days later. He would just lay on the floor holding his head and make this horrible wailing sound. It would go on and on for hours some times. Sometimes it was horribly loud, sometimes quiter and more keening. I have never heard anything like it, and I hope to never hear it again. It still haunts me. He did this for months. It wasnt' until after his MRI showing brain damage which the pedi neuro has contributed to encephalitis (which he says was caused by the MMR) and subsequent visits with a naturopath and detox that he finally stopped wailing this way. Still when he is really overstimulated and upset he can make some sounds that remind me of that horrible wail. It makes me sick to my stomach whenever he does it. The braindamage has caused him to be diagnosed on the Autism spectrum.
#67 of 72 Old 09-25-2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
My ds1 did not have the screaming after his DTaP vaxes (which he is mostly up to date on, we didn't quit till after 18 months) but after his MMR at 18 months, it was awful. I can't describe the sounds. It didn't start right away, it was a few days later. He would just lay on the floor holding his head and make this horrible wailing sound. It would go on and on for hours some times. Sometimes it was horribly loud, sometimes quiter and more keening. I have never heard anything like it, and I hope to never hear it again. It still haunts me. He did this for months. It wasnt' until after his MRI showing brain damage which the pedi neuro has contributed to encephalitis (which he says was caused by the MMR) and subsequent visits with a naturopath and detox that he finally stopped wailing this way. Still when he is really overstimulated and upset he can make some sounds that remind me of that horrible wail. It makes me sick to my stomach whenever he does it. The braindamage has caused him to be diagnosed on the Autism spectrum.
Wow, mama.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#68 of 72 Old 10-17-2007, 06:33 PM

Wow. This thread is - horrifying to say the least.

Poor babies, poor mamas!!!

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.
| @jovialady is Kiya ~ TTC 3 years & counting for a ~ Connsumte BookDragon|
#69 of 72 Old 10-18-2007, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Just to update... my boy started having seizures @ 5 mo & last one was @ 9 mo. He's now 12 mo & talks, walks, is doing very well & his other issue has been resolved for the time being. He had an MRI @ 5 mo for his endo issue (inconclusive) & an EEG @ 9 mo for the seizures (ruled stress seizures). Needless to say no vaxes here.
#70 of 72 Old 11-02-2007, 11:52 PM

Still worried about a DTap reaction...

The dr. wanted to rule out malrotation as a cause for DS's screaming, writhing episodes. His upper GI with small bowel follow through showed nothing. I talked the the chiro about it, asking for his input. He suggested looking into neruological causes. When his body spasms it does look like someone having seizure, but he seems to be cognizant during an episode.

He had been fine for a while and then 2 weeks ago he had bouts two nights in a row. He looks like he's in such agony...I want to find out what is causing it and if there is anything we can do to make it stop. Anyone have any suggestions on where to begin to find answers??? I don't know if they drs. would even know where to begin unless they saw him during an episode. I tried to video the last time, but I was alone and didn't get oo much. I don't know if it would help. I don't know if it's significant or not, either, but one thing I noticed in the video is that when he cries, his entire chest is sucked in and out in such an unnatural way. It struck me as bizarre, but it may very well be nothing. I'm just desperate to find something to help us figure this out.
Thanks
#71 of 72 Old 11-03-2007, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarmommy View Post
Still worried about a DTap reaction...

The dr. wanted to rule out malrotation as a cause for DS's screaming, writhing episodes. His upper GI with small bowel follow through showed nothing. I talked the the chiro about it, asking for his input. He suggested looking into neruological causes. When his body spasms it does look like someone having seizure, but he seems to be cognizant during an episode.

He had been fine for a while and then 2 weeks ago he had bouts two nights in a row. He looks like he's in such agony...I want to find out what is causing it and if there is anything we can do to make it stop. Anyone have any suggestions on where to begin to find answers??? I don't know if they drs. would even know where to begin unless they saw him during an episode. I tried to video the last time, but I was alone and didn't get oo much. I don't know if it would help. I don't know if it's significant or not, either, but one thing I noticed in the video is that when he cries, his entire chest is sucked in and out in such an unnatural way. It struck me as bizarre, but it may very well be nothing. I'm just desperate to find something to help us figure this out.
Thanks
No suggestions, just .

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#72 of 72 Old 11-03-2007, 01:25 AM

OMGosh this is EXACTLY what happend to DS! 3 hours of inconsolable high pitched crying. I just *knew* it was from cerebral swelling. I've got some intuitive powers.

I can't believe other mamas have experienced this too and nothing has been done! As far as imaging goes, ummm hell no! Do y'all know how invasive imaging actually is? Sometimes they administer this stuff called contrast which can actually be radioactive! :shock: Or it is alternately just creepy synthetic dye. If my child was having a vaccine reaction, the LAST thing I would do to him is subject him to some disgusting radation!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page