"What will you do when your child gets polio?" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 05-07-2004, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ladyshah asked this question in a previous thread. To which I asked, how do you suppose my child is going to get polio?

I thought we'd discuss in a separate thread so it doesn't get buried-
#2 of 24 Old 05-07-2004, 10:54 AM

To the best of my knowledge, all documented cases of polio in the U.S. over the last 20 years came from the use of the live oral polio vaccine.
applejuice likes this.

DS 6 DD 8
#3 of 24 Old 05-07-2004, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, all documented cases of polio in the U.S. over the last 20 years came from the use of the live oral polio vaccine.
my knowledge too... so, Ladyshah, to answer your question I guess... "sue the pharmaceutical company" is my answer.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#4 of 24 Old 05-07-2004, 12:07 PM

My doc first mentioned the blood sugar-polio link outlined here:

http://www.*********/v/sandler4.html

So in addition to treating my child for polio, I would probably kick myself for feeding him crap.

Ladyshah's grandparent probably got polio after WWII when everyone was making up for lost time with the prior sugar rations.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#5 of 24 Old 05-07-2004, 12:33 PM

I can't predict my child will get polio anymore than I can predict he will get

cancer

alzheimers

diabetes

autism

etc...

With that being said, I don't waste my time worrying about terrible things happening to my children, I focus on the positive. When and if bad things happen, the course of action will then be plotted.

That question is along the lines of asking a parent as they sign off on their child's first drivers licence, "What will you do when your child is killed in a car accident?"
#6 of 24 Old 05-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Banned

Here, this site looks pretty main-stream so as not to scare anyone off, it doesn't appear too crunchy cookey: :LOL

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infecti...ral/polio.html

Quote:
Polio is a contagious, historically devastating disease that, in most cases, actually produces no symptoms at all. Of those infected with the virus who show symptoms, most may not suspect they have polio because their sickness is limited to mild flu-like symptoms such as mild upper respiratory infection, diarrhea, fever, sore throat, and malaise.

A much smaller number of those with polio show more serious neurological symptoms such as sensitivity to light and neck stiffness. And even fewer still - about 1 in 250 cases - exhibit the most severe form of disease with paralysis of the arms and legs and difficulty breathing.
Well, *if* my child was showing any symptoms worth treating, I'd probably care for those. Pump up all the good stuff that helps DC's body do it's job, eliminate the stuff that gets in the way, and let it run it's course as it has for time on end.

Here's another link:

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infecti.../polio_p2.html

Quote:
Polio is a viral illness that, in 95% of cases, produces no symptoms at all (asymptomatic polio). In symptomatic cases, polio appears in three forms: a mild form called abortive polio, a more severe form associated with aseptic meningitis called nonparalytic polio, and a severe, debilitating form called paralytic polio. People who have abortive polio or nonparalytic polio usually make a full recovery.
Call me slow for just thinking of this...but if "polio is a viral illness that, in 95% of cases produces no symptoms at all" what exactly did the blessed vax have to do w/ it disappearing? And isn't effort misplaced by focusing on vax? If it rarely shows symptoms in the first place, I'm more interested in what went WRONG with the 5% that made them more likely to have serious issues. I'm thinking that 95% of the population ain't broke, so why ya tryin' to fix 'em?

Quote:
Asymptomatic polio accounts for about 95% of cases, whereas abortive polio occurs in 4% to 8% of cases. From 1% to 5% of cases are of the nonparalytic form and less than 0.5% of cases are estimated to be of the severe paralytic form.
Again, more that makes me think that it's not a matter of 100% of the population being vax deprived, it's .5% of the population being something-else deprived. Perhaps nutrition deprived? Perhaps otherwise immune-compromised?
applejuice likes this.
#7 of 24 Old 05-07-2004, 12:41 PM

Continuing along Turquoise's line, if 95% of polio cases are asymptomatic how does Ladyshah herself know that she or her children have not had polio?
applejuice likes this.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#8 of 24 Old 05-07-2004, 12:48 PM

If my child gets polio we will go on the talk show circuit and invite all our non-vax friends to join us... assuming we don't get in a car accident first, or killed crossing the street, which is waaayyyy more likely.
#9 of 24 Old 05-07-2004, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
After reading the above threads, the only and most likely way any one of our children will "come down with polio", will be to get the vaccine or go and stand next to a child who has just received the vaccine.

Do not hold your breathe; it will not happen anytime soon.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#10 of 24 Old 05-07-2004, 11:15 PM

In the same vein, but a tiny bit T:

Dr. Jonas Salk and Dr. Albert Sabin both developed a polio vaccine. They both enjoyed in their long careers a bit of friendly but professional competition and anymosity about the fact that they BOTH developed a vaccine for a disease which "prevented" the dread polio disease. One vaccine was "live" and the other "dead", but both had the same effect.

Dr. Jonas Salk thought Albert Sabin was wrong.

Dr. Albert Sabin thought Jonas Salk was wrong.

I think they are both correct; the other doctor is wrong.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#11 of 24 Old 05-08-2004, 12:25 AM

Okay, in the unlikely event that my unvaccinated child developed symptoms looking like polio (though that would be hard to know, since it starts with symptoms reminiscent of a tummy bug, with vomitting)..

But first I would see the prior symptoms of the "tummy bug" and not realise it was polio, so I would be overdosing my kids on probiotics, on vitamin C, Vitamin a, and adding in a liquid mineral supplement, though I might be looking at extra silica.

Chance are, that it wouldn't go much further, and if it did, I'd be using Frederick Klenners protocol for vitamin C and using Magnesium as per this site.

http://www.mgwater.com/rod05.shtml
Quote:
Dr. Neveu's idea is that every household should have on hand a mixture of a certain amount of magnesium chloride in water . . . the mixture being 20 grams of desiccated magnesium chloride to one liter (about a quart) of water, and at the first appearance of a sore throat and a stiff feeling in the back of the neck, or even as late as the first appearance of paralysis, the taking of the magnesium mixture will put the patient out of danger within two days, with an eventual total cure, he claims.

Dr. Neveu says that all sore throats do not predict polio, but when a sore throat is accompanied by a stiffness of the vertebral column, then treatment should begin as soon as possible, under the care of a qualified physician.
Given that you ain't gonna find a qualified physician who knows ANYTHING about either magnesium, vitamin C, probiotics or anything else commensurate with good health, that step can be handily ignored.

And at the same time I'd also be praying, in case I had missed something else....

The only people who go hysterical, are people who have swallowed all the rampant propaganda, who have no faith, and who have no alternatives as to what to do if and when anything happens.

Editted to add, I would not be taking my child to hospital if it went further. My reasoning for that was a case we had in this country, where a vaccinated mother got it off her newly vaccinated baby.

A television channel did a documentary on it, and they came to see me. I provided them with STACKS of information on polio, and on Sister Kenny's treatment, which is the only way to successfully recover from fully paralytic polio, and do you know what?

The hospital did not use the Kenny Treatment, and further, they didn't KNOW anything about it. They were TOTALLY IGNORANT.

And yes, as a result of that woman having received totally inappropriate treatment, she is still fully paralysed and on a respirator.

Therefore what is the point in putting your child in their hands?
applejuice likes this.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#12 of 24 Old 05-08-2004, 12:29 AM

Quote:
I think they are both correct; the other doctor is wrong.
Ooooh! Riddles. :LOL

DS 6 DD 8
#13 of 24 Old 05-08-2004, 12:41 AM

Another point. I have many old articles about the findings of children during polio, and one doctor said that X-rays of the leg bones, consistently showed very thin bones.

What does that tell you?

It tells me that these children were very short on Silica. If you don't have enough silica, you don't absorb calcium and if you don't absorb calcium you won't utilise either potassium or magnesium.

In other words, you are a sitting duck for any disease including polio.

Now, do a google search on fods which are high in silica, then look at the interactions between all those minerals.

You will clearly see that any child on a diet of soda pop, white bread, sweets, chips, etc, those children will be majorly short on minerals.

In fact, the most silica they might get in their daily intake, might be from the bitten nails. Very highly strung people are classicly short of silica, and if anyone in your house is a nail biter, cuticle fiddler,hair chewer, with perspiring hands and feet, or a chronic "debattor" (to put it politely) they are short of silica, and you need to introduce it.

Oh, and by the way. It was only A-type persons who classically got polio. I've read all the books about it, and one comment which I recall so clearly was from Sister Kenny's brother, who lived and worked here, and who said,
Quote:
It is always the go-for-it, bright, very active children who will get it, never the sickly.
And that ties hand in hand with the profiles of most of the people who got it. People who pushed themselves, pregnant women, who have cellular immunity suppressed, A-type persons, athletes who pushed themselves far too far... all of these people are chronically short of minerals, and need high levels of protein, vegetables and fruit.

And that's another reason why Polio so often started in the summer holidays. Right when kids were on holiday, eating garbage, and far less protein that they would have in winter...

rabbit, rabbit, rabbit,... I will now shut up.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#14 of 24 Old 05-08-2004, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

:
#15 of 24 Old 05-08-2004, 01:43 AM

So I did the google on silica and food and will share for those of you who are too lazy (or busy, or distracted) to do it yourself.

Sources of silica in food:
potato skins
green and red peppers
cucumbers
bean sprouts
unrefined whole grains (wheat, barley, oats, and rye)
raw oats
oatmeal and rice bran
alfalfa sprouts
seeds
nuts
hard water
#16 of 24 Old 05-08-2004, 09:15 AM

Thank you for the list for silica food sources!!
I was a lazy one .

The renaming of polio to asceptic meningitis & the changed paralysis requirements had a major effect on the cases of polio numbers .
There is a graph of it on www.vaccinationdebate.com I think-but have not figured out how to do a link to it.

::
momma to 4
#17 of 24 Old 05-08-2004, 01:01 PM

Speaking of changing the definition, I knew an older woman who was in nursing school (or was just graduated and working) when the vaccines came out. She said that in school they were taught a definition of polio that was based on length and height (?) of fever, and some other symptoms. When she was working and the vax came out, she remembers quite clearly that the definition she had been taught in school no longer applied. The fever had to be much higher and had to last much longer than before, and the other symptoms were "bigger".

She didn't know then why that had been done, but she remembers it quite clearly.

Do the vax manufacturers really think people don't remember these things? :
member234098 likes this.
#18 of 24 Old 05-08-2004, 02:25 PM

by the way....

did anyone see this about FDR and guillaine barr versus polio.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=25107

The symptoms of Roosevelt's illness, which first became apparent in 1921, more closely resembled those of Guillain-Barre, also known as acute ascending polyneuritis, a team at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston said.

It is believed to be an autoimmune disease -- one in which the immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissue. It occurs after a mild infection, surgery or, rarely, after an immunization.

it goes on.....see link.
member234098 likes this.

#19 of 24 Old 05-08-2004, 02:31 PM

Yep, I was going to mention FDR since he has been such a visible anti-polio presence, but I couldn't remember the name of what they are now theorizing he had. I'm glad someone remembered!

somewhat off topic:
He's someone my family mentioned, and actually polio is a hot-button thing in my maternal family as the eldest daughter of my grandmother died with polio. I say "with" rather than "of" because when the story is told, it sounds MUCH more like the hospital care of Susan caused her death, rather than any organism...long story, but the short version is that they dropped her off, were sent home, she got NO care for over 24 hours (6 years old) and then they called my grandparents to tell them that Susan was dead. When they got there, she had been gone for a good long while.

I wonder how many other hospitals neglected the care of how many other kids, then blamed their deaths on polio?

Now that my grandparents have both passed on I might be able to have a calm conversation with my aunt, but she's believed the polio-is-evil thing for so long, I'm not sure about that.

sigh.
#20 of 24 Old 05-08-2004, 03:41 PM

Ladyshah,
is this thread helpful?

#21 of 24 Old 05-08-2004, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy
by the way....

did anyone see this about FDR and guillaine barr versus polio.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=25107

The symptoms of Roosevelt's illness, which first became apparent in 1921, more closely resembled those of Guillain-Barre, also known as acute ascending polyneuritis, a team at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston said.

It is believed to be an autoimmune disease -- one in which the immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissue. It occurs after a mild infection, surgery or, rarely, after an immunization.

it goes on.....see link.
The ridiculous thing is that in those days they diagnosed anything with paralysis as polio. There are a whole raft of viruses and conditions that now cause what they then called polio. Which means that the historic graphs are a load of bullswool.

And that's not counting the reworking of the definition in the late fifties which many doctors disagreed with, because it would eliminate 90% of the paralytic polio cases.

#22 of 24 Old 05-08-2004, 07:52 PM

I totally agree.

I often wondered about FDR - polio was the crippler of young adults, and he contracted it at age 39?

I always thought that was strange.

Incidentally, the last known cases of naturally acquired polio were reported in a Christian Science school and in the Amish population in the 1970's.

But I agree that these are based on a subjective diagnosis by a physician.

#23 of 24 Old 05-09-2004, 02:19 AM

:

#24 of 24 Old 05-09-2004, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy
If my child gets polio we will go on the talk show circuit and invite all our non-vax friends to join us... assuming we don't get in a car accident first, or killed crossing the street, which is waaayyyy more likely.

you forgot one- getting struck by a bolt in a thunderstorm.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page