Why Prevnar & Hib vax aren't the solution - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-14-2006, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Medical officials have relied on the vaccine Prevnar for several years to protect infants against the bacteria, responsible for 80 per cent of pneumococcal disease. Now, they say, it's beginning to fail to protect infants against new strains on the rise.

"The vaccine is covering those serotypes that were most prevalent in Alaska and has reduced them dramatically," said Dr. Michael Bruce of the Centre for Disease Control, based at the Arctic Investigations Program in Anchorage.

"And now we're seeing other serotypes moving in to fill the niche and so that is worrisome."
Quote:
The situation doesn't surprise the chief medical officer for the Yukon, Dr. Bryce Larke.

"We are starting to see that similar kind of thing that as you protect against one strain of the bacteria, others that didn't formally play a significant role may from time to time produce serious disease," he said.

Larke also points to worrisome developments with the Haemophilus Influenza type B vaccine, which he says has been almost miraculous in the fight against meningitis. The disease can lead to brain damage and deafness in infants.

Medical officers are now seeing another serious strain, called Type A, and there's no vaccine for it.
http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/nati...h.html?ref=rss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 06-14-2006, 04:08 PM

That's what happens when you try to eradicate normal flora microbes - new ones fill the niche. Only people that are trying to sell you something will say differently.
#3 of 11 Old 06-14-2006, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Check out the chart about half way down in this link, showing the increase in meningococcal meningitis from 1991-2001 after the introduction of the vax

Yikes!
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/Eid/vol8no3/01-0308.htm
#4 of 11 Old 07-01-2006, 08:42 PM

#5 of 11 Old 07-02-2006, 12:45 PM

As each new vaccine gets added to the schedule, I have to wonder when parents who do vaccinate will get to the point where they will say, "enough is enough"

I know I became wary of the vax program when I watched the number of required shots increase from 1984 to 1995. One thing led to another, and we no longer vaccinate. But is there a point where other parents will put their foot down, or will they continue to do whatever is recommended no matter?
#6 of 11 Old 07-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Banned

Neither vax has ever been tested/studied for it's mutogenic ability. Common sense says that these 'new' strains were created by the vax, since there are studies proving that they do mutate.
#7 of 11 Old 07-02-2006, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

These aren't new mutated strains, they were always around. That's not what it means when the insert says it hasn't been tested for mutagenic potential anyway.
#8 of 11 Old 07-02-2006, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insider
That's what happens when you try to eradicate normal flora microbes - new ones fill the niche. Only people that are trying to sell you something will say differently.
This is exactly how I feel about vaccines in general....
#9 of 11 Old 07-03-2006, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suschi
As each new vaccine gets added to the schedule, I have to wonder when parents who do vaccinate will get to the point where they will say, "enough is enough"

I know I became wary of the vax program when I watched the number of required shots increase from 1984 to 1995. One thing led to another, and we no longer vaccinate. But is there a point where other parents will put their foot down, or will they continue to do whatever is recommended no matter?
You know? I bet they won't question it - because now that "they" want to combine a lot of the shots into one, the parents will probably not even bat an eyelash when more vaccines are added. Most parents just see the number of shots, not the number of individual vaccines.

I truly believe that's why they want to combine them - to get by with adding even MORE without parents questioning them all because instead of 8 shots, for example, there will only be 3.
#10 of 11 Old 07-03-2006, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancta
You know? I bet they won't question it - because now that "they" want to combine a lot of the shots into one, the parents will probably not even bat an eyelash when more vaccines are added. Most parents just see the number of shots, not the number of individual vaccines.
I agree. As long as they can keep combining shots, the increasing number just isn't going to be a problem for most parents. I'd say 75% of vaccinating parents don't even know what the vaccines are for anyway. They might know the names of the diseases or pathogens the vaxes are for, but they usually don't know exactly what illnesses all of the vaccines are supposed to prevent. (ie. they might know that their child was vaccinated for HIB, but they have no idea whether HIB is a bacteria or virus, or what diseases it can cause.)
#11 of 11 Old 07-03-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suschi

I put my foot down when they tried to insist I have a flu shot because I was pregnant with dd#3. I mean come on, its the FLU PEOPLE!! I get so sick of the flu hype.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page