Why do docs seem to always reccommend the HIB - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 01-13-2007, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It seems from most posts I read that when you say you will not be vaxing, the doc always says, "well I really think you should consider the Hib."

So, why such a push for the Hib? Any thoughts?

Thanks

- Crystal, mom to 4 kiddos expecting #5 very soon . We are a , , , , and family
#2 of 26 Old 01-13-2007, 07:05 PM

I was wondering that too....my doctor recommended the Hib and Prevnar. What gives?
#3 of 26 Old 01-13-2007, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The pedi we had when we first decided not to vaccinate told me that hib was the one he would strongly recommend. He had been a ped for 20 years, and he said it's the one vaccine that he's witnessed working. He said he'd seen a decrease in meningitis cases after the vaccine was introduced. This pedi is one that was highly respectful of my choice, so no flames, please. I know nearly every doctor has just one vaccine that they swear by. But, even if the Hib vaccine is effective it still does not address the increase in other types of meningitis post-hib vaccine.
#4 of 26 Old 01-13-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjarvis View Post
It seems from most posts I read that when you say you will not be vaxing, the doc always says, "well I really think you should consider the Hib."

So, why such a push for the Hib? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Not my old ped; her push was DTaP. Some people have dogs, some have cats. Some docs push HIB, others DTaP, or Prevenar.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 26 Old 01-13-2007, 08:41 PM

Because when a child does develop Hib meningitis, it's a very serious disease and because any mention of the word "meningitis" is an easy sell to most parents.
#6 of 26 Old 01-13-2007, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
[hysteria] Because meningitis is really really scary and bad! [/hysteria]
#7 of 26 Old 01-13-2007, 10:27 PM

ONe of my good friends (who selectively vaxes...NOW) her ped pushed her into HIb and Prevnar too. Those are the only ones that she suggested.
#8 of 26 Old 01-13-2007, 10:42 PM

Utter the word "meningitis" and the arm gets offered up immediately.
#9 of 26 Old 01-14-2007, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

So all out of the doctors hopes for compliance on at least one vaccine to get injected? Or do you think the docs really think this is an important vaccine that is effective?

#10 of 26 Old 01-14-2007, 12:52 AM

I think they really believe it's important & effective. It's not only the seriousness of invasive disease but also the issue of antibiotic resistance.
#11 of 26 Old 01-14-2007, 01:11 AM

Is hib abx resistant?
#12 of 26 Old 01-14-2007, 04:34 AM

Just my opinion, but I am thinking that most docs today don't have any "real time" experience with most of the other VPD's they vaccinate for. Hib is something they can regurgitate with recent history, even though it is rare, and never has been an epidemic anywhere! This vaccine wasn't even around when my first two children were born, (in 1984 & 1987) so there wasn't any "fear mongering" necessary.

And think about it, only the children with complications are most likely the ones who will be seen by a ped/ and /or the hospital. Those who get sick and get over it with no complications are not going to be recorded, in most cases.
#13 of 26 Old 01-14-2007, 10:29 AM

the HIB vaccine was developed becuase it was a standard infection in the US that was killing many infants on the navajo reservation.

now to understand the context for this, you need to understand that this rez has one of the lowest living standards in the entire US and very little medical care at all. very few doctors care for everyone on the rez (it's a big one) and every kind of social ill runs rampant there.

so, instead of spending any money to actually increase the standard of living there, they (the CDC) asked the drug companies to develop a vaccine. which does protect many children from death. (and it way cheaper and easier than actually helping people on that rez)

so if you have a very poor standard of living, eat mostly gov't surplus food, formula feed, don't have running water in your house or heat in the winter, many children, poor access to medical care, live around much alcohol and drug abuse and other sick people, for sure get the HIB vaccine.

and yes, from what i have read it's one of those infections that only became deadly after the introduction of antibiotics.

bacterial menegitsis is nothing to sneeze at, it can be deadly to children. but viral is more common and easier to deal with and rarely fatal. (my stepdaughter had it)

we refused HIB becuase we don't have any risk factors for it.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#14 of 26 Old 01-14-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suschi View Post
And think about it, only the children with complications are most likely the ones who will be seen by a ped/ and /or the hospital. Those who get sick and get over it with no complications are not going to be recorded, in most cases.

Kind of like docs/nurses who fear homebirth because they only see moms/babies with complications that were involved with a homebirth...because the ones without complications were...at home, and never went to the hospital .

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#15 of 26 Old 01-14-2007, 01:30 PM

i recently read an article where a study had definitively linked the meningitis vaccine to Guilliane-Barre Syndrome (the flu vax was recently linked to this too). It said the risk was low, but meningitis was very serious, so you should definitely get the shot anyway.
#16 of 26 Old 01-14-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjarvis View Post
So all out of the doctors hopes for compliance on at least one vaccine to get injected? Or do you think the docs really think this is an important vaccine that is effective?
I think they believe it's important and that if they tell people it's to prevent meningitis, people will get it. I think most docs think all or almost all of them are important, but they're going to have a hard time selling pertussis, diphtheria, polio or chickenpox to a lot of people, for various reasons. A meningitis vax is an easy one, though.
#17 of 26 Old 01-14-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
Is hib abx resistant?
Yes, but it's a bigger issue with S pneumo.
#18 of 26 Old 01-14-2007, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
the HIB vaccine was developed becuase it was a standard infection in the US that was killing many infants on the navajo reservation.
Where do you find this information on how and why the HIB was developed?

How do you also find info saying that if you breastfeed, not in daycare, etc. that you are low risk for HIB?

Also, does the Prevnar vax cover S pneumo?

Thanks again

#19 of 26 Old 01-14-2007, 07:03 PM

you could google it, i believe that i read it in aviva romm's book "a thoughtful parent's guide to vaccines." but i could be wrong. i might have found it online somewhere.

it's just common sense that a breastfed baby has a better funtioning immune system, and is at lower rick for most communicable diseases. (though there are loads of studies that show this too... you could try pubmed)

i don't know anything about prevnar... sorry.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#20 of 26 Old 01-15-2007, 12:18 AM

Does anyone know if there is any financial ties to these vaccines. I wonder if doctors get large kickbacks from these two being that they are not part of the "mandated" vaccine schedule. I thought I had read this before. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Oh, when I say kickbacks, I mean "medical conferences" in which the pharmaceutical companies send doctors to places like the Carri bean along with their entire family. I have witnessed this because my neighbor is a doctor.
#21 of 26 Old 01-15-2007, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondajo View Post
Does anyone know if there is any financial ties to these vaccines. I wonder if doctors get large kickbacks from these two being that they are not part of the "mandated" vaccine schedule. I thought I had read this before. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Oh, when I say kickbacks, I mean "medical conferences" in which the pharmaceutical companies send doctors to places like the Carri bean along with their entire family. I have witnessed this because my neighbor is a doctor.
I honestly think it's just that, as uncommon as bacterial meningitis is, it's one of the more common catastrophic illnesses that a ped will see.
And on the rare occasion that it does happen, the docs just feel helpless and it's really tragic.
So the fact that they can give a shot that's supposed to prevent it satifies some deep psychological need they have to be "doing something".
And they want the shot to be a cure-all preventive so badly that they just can't think straight about the issue.
That's my theory, at least.
#22 of 26 Old 01-15-2007, 01:50 AM

Quote:
They actually are mandated for preschool in some states. I don't think docs get kickbacks for selling the vaccines. I think they see how serious invasive Hib disease can be and they know parents will bite when they say the word "meningitis," so they recommend the vaccine. We are military and use the pediatricians at the military treatment facility. There's no way they could possibly get kickbacks, because the military buys all the vaccines and pharmaceutical companies never know which doctors "sell" what vaccines. But when DD was three months old and I went in with a plan, the doc still talked me into Hib and Prevnar, even though I didn't originally plan on getting them. I know for a fact she wasn't getting a kickback.
#23 of 26 Old 01-15-2007, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaS View Post
The pedi we had when we first decided not to vaccinate told me that hib was the one he would strongly recommend. He had been a ped for 20 years, and he said it's the one vaccine that he's witnessed working. He said he'd seen a decrease in meningitis cases after the vaccine was introduced. This pedi is one that was highly respectful of my choice, so no flames, please. I know nearly every doctor has just one vaccine that they swear by. But, even if the Hib vaccine is effective it still does not address the increase in other types of meningitis post-hib vaccine.

Our ped was cool with us not vaxing (previous ped, now we see a naturopath) and Hib was the one thing he recommended, so we went ahead and got it since it didn't have any thermasil (mercury?) in it. We followed through with that series and that's all our dd 5 has. He felt like it was the most dangerous for little ones.
#24 of 26 Old 01-15-2007, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Carri bean along with their entire family.
what's a carri bean?

#25 of 26 Old 01-15-2007, 06:42 PM

The Carribean Islands such as Aruba. There should have been an omitted space in that word, oops.
#26 of 26 Old 01-15-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
The Carribean Islands such as Aruba. There should have been an omitted space in that word, oops.

oh you mean the caribbean islands!!! wow i so missed that!! a place not a seed!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page