Chicken poxs as adults - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-02-2005, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know my kids are eventually going to get them. The problem is, I have never had them and I am not sure if I have a natural immune to them(main reason I REFUSE to get the kids the shot). What are the risks for me when and if the kids get them?
#2 of 9 Old 03-03-2005, 07:01 PM

Chicken pox as an adult can be really rough. When it's bad, it's usually much worse than catching it as a child--I know several people who had it as adults--one had pox all down his throat and the other almost died--but that's not always the case. You might consider getting tested to see if you have the anti-bodies or not.
#3 of 9 Old 03-03-2005, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppence
You might consider getting tested to see if you have the anti-bodies or not.
And exactly what would that prove?

The antibodies could be weak/useless. People who have antibodies can still get the CP or shingles.

And people who don't test positive could be immune anyway because the antibodies don't show up unless they've been exposed to the disease but are still present in the body.

So the results of the test are no help whatsoever.

Testing for anibody titres is unreliable.
#4 of 9 Old 03-03-2005, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

I have never been tested, but I have been around plenty of kids who had pox. My mom use to put me in the tub with the other kids to get me to get them. I refuse to get the shot as an adult. I was just wondering because I want to have the kids get them and wasn't sure what reaction I could have if I would get them at all.
#5 of 9 Old 03-03-2005, 08:17 PM

Again:

I got CP the 1st time @ 40 YO. I hAd been around my kid & other kids that had CP & never got them until I was 40 YO.
It was BAD for about 3 days (total sick was 1 wk) but I survived just fine.
my DD got CP @ 18 mos AND 18 YO !!! 2X !
It sucked for her for about 3 days also.
CDC would like to believe that if you get them as adult you will nearly die
not to say that there are some complications for anything so use your own judgment.
I was has strep so bad in my Jr. year of HS. I was really, really sick from strep. Had all kinds of complications from that you just never know.

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#6 of 9 Old 03-03-2005, 08:19 PM

I had the pox at 26. The nurse I called said the biggest danger to adults is keeping the fever from getting to high, and sometimes it can lead to pneumonia. I didn't have either of those, and the worst part was keeping my sense of humor so I could be a good mom to my son. (oh, and I may or may not have had a mild case of them as a child. I also was around all sorts of contagious kids and didn't get them.)
#7 of 9 Old 03-03-2005, 08:33 PM

I got it a few years ago, and it was pretty mild - pox mostly confined to my midsection and back, itchy but not unbearable, didn't last too long.
#8 of 9 Old 03-04-2005, 02:06 PM

My mom exposed me to the pox when I was little a number of time in hopes that I would catch them. I didn't until I was in my mid 20s. This was right after the vaccine was introduced.

When I realized that I had the cp I went to my doc and he put me on some anti-viral medication. The pox that had started to form on my arms and legs went away before they opened up. I didn't get any new ones on my trunk and they went away in about seven days.

If you do get them take Benedryl for the itching (if you take the pill form you're not supposed to use the cream form -- one or the other but not both). The pill form made a huge difference for me.

Mine weren't that bad but whenever I told another doc about it she was so surprised that I didn't have to be hospitalized? Go figure.

HTH. Best wishes.
#9 of 9 Old 03-04-2005, 03:43 PM

I had CP at 17 and my sister had them at 15. We had them all over and were very itchy. It was summer and we sat in sheets only on the couch. I had a seizure one night. Not sure if it was fever-related, but I'm sure it was CP-related.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page