Chickenpox Vaccine Related to Shingles Epidemic - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-01-2005, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://www.24-7pressrelease.com/view...e.php?rID=8018
I've never heard of this guy and have no idea if this is a reliable source or not.

Quote:
For decades it was thought shingles increased with age as older individuals' immune systems declined. However, Goldman's new research shows this phenomenon seemed primarily due to the fact that older people received fewer natural boosts to immunity as their contacts with young children declined.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#2 of 16 Old 09-01-2005, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is very interesting. A man my Dad works with is just getting over shingles and now his DW has the chicken pox. I never used to hear of anyone getting them unless they were elderly and unhealthy, now its affecting middle aged people.
#3 of 16 Old 09-01-2005, 08:58 PM

I believe there is quite a lot of research on how contact with chickenpox sufferers boosts immunity against the herpes-zoster virus which can cause both chickenpox and shingles....and how this regular boost to immunity can prevent getting shingles.

And yeah, my father had shingles 10 years ago, and it is incredibly painful. Intravenous vitamin C and minerals really helped him in the end. I believe zinc is important.
#4 of 16 Old 09-05-2005, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

And then there is this article
http://www.newsleader.com/apps/pbcs....509040320/1002

The title of the article is
Vaccine prevents shingles

Call me stupid, but I can't find one single mention of a vaccine that prevents shingles in the actual article, though.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#5 of 16 Old 09-06-2005, 11:29 AM

This is so interesting... I always thought that part of why they said it was good to get the CP vaccine was to prevent shingles... Go figure - I guess they tell you whatever to vaccinate. I know CP is one we are skipping. DH and I both had them and amazingly we are still on this earth!!
#6 of 16 Old 09-06-2005, 12:14 PM

What I find amazingly stupid is that part of the push for the chickenpox vaccine was the experience in Japan where the vaccine has been in use for over 20 years, however, the shot is optional there so the majority DON'T get it...so the stats are based on a society with lots of natural circulating virus and infections that are STILL causing the natural booster effect. Which means, they have NO IDEA how effective (or ineffective) this vaccine may be when the boosting effect is minimized. That is even stated in the insert for the vaccine...unbelievable!!!!!!!

The answer won't be to pull this ridiculous vaccine, it will be to vaccinate with more doses, and a booster dose has already been approved in April of this year, and then they will push this vax on the adults as well...ack.

BL 103552/5079 Approval lettr for 2nd dose of varicella vax

Product Approval Information - Licensing Action

Proper name: Varicella Virus Vaccine Live
Tradename: Varivax
Manufacturer: Merck & Co, Inc, West Point, PA, License #0002
Indication for Use: Optional second dose for children 12 months to 12 years of age
Approval Date: 4/5/2005
Type of submission: Biologics License Application Supplement

http://www.fda.gov/cber/products/varmer040505.htm

http://www.fda.gov/cber/label/varmer040505LB.pdf LABEL

Product Approval Information

DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
Public Health Service
Food and Drug Administration
1401 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD 20852-1448

April 5, 2005

Submission Tracking Number (STN): BL 103552/5079

David Gutsch, M.D.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Sumneytown Pike
P.O. Box 4, BLB-22
West Point, PA 19486

Dear Dr. Gutsch:

The Supplement to your Biologics License Application for Varicella Virus Vaccine Live (VARIVAX), to include an optional second dose for children 12 months to 12 years of age, has been approved. This information will be included in your License Application file.

All applications for new active ingredients, new dosage forms, new indications, new routes of administration, and new dosing regimens are required to contain an assessment of the safety and effectiveness of the product in pediatric patients unless this requirement is waived or deferred. We note that you have fulfilled the pediatric study requirement for this application.

Sincerely yours,

--- signature ---

Philip R. Krause, M.D.
Acting Director
Division of Viral Products
Office of Vaccines Research and Review
Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research

http://www.fda.gov/cber/approvltr/varmer040505L.htm
#7 of 16 Old 09-06-2005, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

I emailed the doctor and very politely asked him for evidence to back up his assertion. Nothing yet.

#8 of 16 Old 09-08-2005, 03:10 PM

Just wanted to add that I read recently that the 2nd dose of varicella was not yet recommended, but it's believed that this is because the MMRV was about to licensed/approved, and now has been. So look for the 2nd dose of varicella to be given now when the children are getting their 2nd MMR, which will now more than likley be the MMRV.

Also, on a side side note, at the ACIP meeting held at the end of June, it was advised that they are planning on making the Hep A a universal recommendation. So look for 3 more doses to be added to the "mandated" schedule, 2 doses of the Hep A and a 2nd dose of the varicella.
#9 of 16 Old 09-09-2005, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

So, here was my email:
I read your article here
Quote:
http://www.newsleader.com/apps/pbcs....509040320/1002
but didn't see one citation supporting your assertion that the chickenpox vaccine prevents shingles.
How does this fit with this article and study from the Journal of Toxicology
which states that the chickenpox vaccine is actually responsible for an increase in shingles?
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
and he replied (paraphrased in keeping with the UA) that he was "appalled" by the headline, and it wasn't his idea. His point was that for adults who hadn't had wild chicken pox, the vaccine would prevent chicken pox, and that all adults and "modern children" who never get chicken pox will never get shingles, either.

I completely disagree with his assertation that none of these people will ever get chicken pox, or shingles, but at least the stupid headline wasn't his fault.

#10 of 16 Old 09-09-2005, 05:02 PM

An MD mama friend of mine told me that she doesn't recommend the chicken pox vaccine for kids because it doesn't protect much beyond 20 years, and chicken pox in a 20-yr old is more dangerous than chicken pox in a 2 yr old. She recommended holding out as long as possible and hoping that your dc gets the chicken pox naturally.

An elderly relative of ours had shingles summer 2004. It totally wiped him out - I think he is still trying to regain his strength (he was actually quite healthy beforehand).

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#11 of 16 Old 09-09-2005, 08:04 PM

Intravenous mega-doses of sodium ascorbate along with large amounts of vitamin A and zinc, and maybe B-complex would be a great help to your relative.
#12 of 16 Old 09-09-2005, 08:14 PM

i had shingles when i was six months pregnant with my son. i had no idea what it was; at first i thought it was poison ivy, and then i finally ended up going to a doctor who told me it was shingles. i honestly thought shingles was some sort of vitamin deficiency!!
i have to say, it was awful. my favorite softest sheets felt like razor blades, and i mostly went bottomless for a week (it was on one thigh, front and back, and butt cheek mostly). the doc told me they usually give steroids of some sort, but since i was pregnant i would just have to let it run its course.
i found out it's viral, and i went home and looked in the Prescription for Natural Healing (?) book, and found a listing!
i took megadoses of C, i also took echinacea, and garlic, and olive leaf extract, and it was gone in a week or less. but boy was it painful. i don't wish it on anyone!

pamela

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#13 of 16 Old 09-09-2005, 08:24 PM

You did well Pamela. You got over it very shortly...shingles usually lasts for many weeks. The remedies must have worked. I hadn't thought of echinacea and olive leaf, but those would help a lot I believe. Very anti-viral.
#14 of 16 Old 09-09-2005, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
I've never heard of this guy and have no idea if this is a reliable source or not.
It's interesting: if you scroll down to the bottom of the article, it gives the guy's credentials
Quote:
Gary S. Goldman, Ph.D. served for eight years as a Research Analyst with the Varicella Active Surveillance Project conducted by the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (LACDHS). The project was funded by the CDC.
(My bold -- is it possible that the CDC is rethinking their position on this vax?)

Just thought I'd pipe in here. I'm helping my dd research vaccine pros and cons, so that she can make an informed decision regarding whether to vax her dd. At this point she is choosing NOT to vax, but wants to be able to defend her position to anyone--including herself. Is anyone else here still in the process of making the decision of whether or not to vax?
#15 of 16 Old 09-16-2005, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets
An MD mama friend of mine told me that she doesn't recommend the chicken pox vaccine for kids because it doesn't protect much beyond 20 years, and chicken pox in a 20-yr old is more dangerous than chicken pox in a 2 yr old. She recommended holding out as long as possible and hoping that your dc gets the chicken pox naturally.

An elderly relative of ours had shingles summer 2004. It totally wiped him out - I think he is still trying to regain his strength (he was actually quite healthy beforehand).

Keep in mind the 20 year information comes from Japan where the vaccine has been in use, but is not mandatory so they still have a lot of boosting going on via natural infections. Without the boosting, it is believed that the vaccine alone is not near as effective, (as seen in the daycare outbreak in NH)
#16 of 16 Old 09-17-2005, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regis
It's interesting: if you scroll down to the bottom of the article, it gives the guy's credentials (My bold -- is it possible that the CDC is rethinking their position on this vax?)
Not likely. Look at Medical Veritas International of which Gary Goldman is the founder/president.

http://www.medicalveritas.com/pages/1/index.htm

Boyd Haley is a member too.

How on earth did he get the CDC to fund his work is what I wanna know.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page