Chicken Pox Booster Necessary? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-04-2007, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My oldest dd (8) was fully vaxed, mostly on schedule. The doctor's office just called and said she is due for a physical and varicella booster. Since she did receive the first one should she also receive the second, or is it okay to skip it? Any info and/or links would be appreciated. Thanks.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#2 of 7 Old 05-04-2007, 11:34 AM

You can stop at any time. There is no danger in doing so.

-Angela
#3 of 7 Old 05-04-2007, 12:04 PM

If you want to vax on schedule, then yes you need a second dose. The first dose worked so well that vaxed kids everywhere continued to get chicken pox anyway, so they added another dose and I'm sure they'll add at least one more in the future.

If you're not worried about it, and if maybe you'd like your child to have a chance to catch chickenpox naturally. Then skip it. Nobody can make you vax your child wih anything you don't want to. And there is no harm in stopping at any point.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#4 of 7 Old 05-06-2007, 04:35 PM

If you don't want to do it, don't do it, but your child won't be immune to chickenpox much longer if you don't. She might not even be immune now. She might not ever have been immune to begin with. The vaccine doesn't work well. Two doses might work better than one. If you give her two, she'll need one again as an adult, because eventually she'll lose immunity after the second dose. Better to skip it and expose her to chickenpox as many times as you can.
#5 of 7 Old 05-06-2007, 04:40 PM

They're finding out that one dose isn't enough... and kids are ending up with a more severe form of it as teens... that's why the recommendation for the booster. Here's an article on it:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Infectio...ccines/tb/5255

"Varicella vaccine efficacy drops dramatically over time, according to surveillance data that contributed to the CDC's decision last year to recommend a booster.

In the surveillance data, children vaccinated five or more years earlier were 2.6 times more likely to have a moderate-to-severe breakthrough case of chickenpox than those who had been vaccinated more recently.

The breakthrough varicella rate eight years after vaccination was 12 times higher than in the first year after vaccination even accounting for changes in exposure, reported Sandra S. Chaves, M.D., M.Sc., of the CDC, and colleagues. in the March 15 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine. .."

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#6 of 7 Old 05-06-2007, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
They're finding out that one dose isn't enough... and kids are ending up with a more severe form of it as teens... that's why the recommendation for the booster. Here's an article on it:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Infectio...ccines/tb/5255

"Varicella vaccine efficacy drops dramatically over time, according to surveillance data that contributed to the CDC's decision last year to recommend a booster.

In the surveillance data, children vaccinated five or more years earlier were 2.6 times more likely to have a moderate-to-severe breakthrough case of chickenpox than those who had been vaccinated more recently.

The breakthrough varicella rate eight years after vaccination was 12 times higher than in the first year after vaccination even accounting for changes in exposure, reported Sandra S. Chaves, M.D., M.Sc., of the CDC, and colleagues. in the March 15 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine. .."
Thank you. That was the kind of info I was looking for. My worry with skipping it is the possibility of having her get a horrid case as a teen or adult, or increasing her risk of shingles.

Another question: My 2yo dd has not had the varicella vaccine. Could she get chicken pox from her sister if I do go ahead with the booster? Is that a bad way of "catching" it?

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#7 of 7 Old 05-07-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestabeth View Post
Another question: My 2yo dd has not had the varicella vaccine. Could she get chicken pox from her sister if I do go ahead with the booster? Is that a bad way of "catching" it?
It's possible, but it would be the same as giving her the vaccine if you did that. The only difference would be that she wouldn't get whatever other additives/preservatives are in the vaccine. Since the virus she would catch would be the exact same one in the vaccine, it would NOT be as effective as catching chickenpox the old-fashioned way, because immunity would be as weak as that provided by the vaccine. Immunity would be stimulated by the vaccine virus, so it would be the same as that conferred by the vaccine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page