Attended a CP party and didn't know it - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 01-26-2008, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend of mine had to take her vaxed 8-month-old to the ped today for a rash. I watched her two-year-old at her house with my 22-month-old DD along for the fun. The friend came home with the diagnosis of CP for the baby. I know the facts about CP and I was OK with it. (Geez, am I so old that I remember a time when people didn't worry about CP? It was a nuisance more than anything.)

My friend was at the ped's office (Kaiser) for much longer than I expected, and she explained why when she got home: Her ped is young and very new on the job and had never seen CP so he couldn't definitively diagnose it. It took three doctors examining the rash (a classic case which completely covers this little girl from head to toe) to confirm it was CP. Sheesh.

The score so far: Five kids in our playgroup, four completely vaxed, two of the vaxed have had either shingles or CP. Not a good batting average for the vax. ETA - I've been reminded that an 8-month-old hasn't had the varicella shot yet. Sorry for the error.

I came home and told my DH, who has a tendency to be a hypochondriac, and he started getting anxious for our DD. I calmed him down, he did some reading about CP on the Internet, and he's feeling better now. He asked if we had time to get our DD vaxed for CP now that she's been exposed and I told him no, then gave him the stats from our playgroup (above). He thought that was interesting.

Kristin

Mama to Laurel '06 & high needs Will '09
Crunchy in mainstream suburbia | Sleep-deprived WAHM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 35 Old 01-26-2008, 03:35 AM

CP is one vax that I am almost totally against (I have a friend who has a rare immune issue and her daughter is vaxed for it). I wished that someone on here could have their kid come hug mine and I guess I don't really need that as we are watching Levi for CP now. I'm a bit worried about Patrick (our 4 month old) getting it but I guess there' no perfect time.
#3 of 35 Old 01-26-2008, 08:01 AM

If your daughter should come down with it, would you consider passing it on? I've been searching for CP for my son for 10 years Not too much longer till he is old enough that it becomes a real concern if he doesn't get it.

I also have a 14 month old baby who I need to get infected (haha that sounds bad).

I'm not far from Sacramento, I'm near Colfax and very willing to travel for CP.

ETA: I'd also be very willing to invite your family up here if you'd like to spend a day in the mountains
#4 of 35 Old 01-26-2008, 03:22 PM

if he was only 8 months old he would not have had the CP vax yet anyway, that isn't given until 12 months, so him beingvaxed has nothing to do with CP.

I can't believe it took 3 dr's to diagnosis it lol, as a daycare worker I can diagnosis CP, hand foot and mouth and a blister all from each other with only one sore lol and have 100% accuracy, maybe I should go into medicine.

hope your 22 gets it lol 3 out of 4 of mine have had it, just waiting until baby is a bit older before finding a pox party

Brandy Single momma to A(11), C(10), H(6) and I(2)
:
#5 of 35 Old 01-26-2008, 07:27 PM

i was told by my son's ped that the chix pox vax is really just a convience shot so parents wont have to miss work to stay home with a sick child. now that is a scary thought. lets poison our kids for convience. i'm all for a pox party and letting our immunes do what they were meant to do.

Lisa wife to Ronne and mom to 4 kids ,Thomas 4/92, Amanda 9/99, Christopher 8/06 & Nathaniel 5/08.
#6 of 35 Old 01-26-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishprinsezz View Post
i was told by my son's ped that the chix pox vax is really just a convience shot so parents wont have to miss work to stay home with a sick child. now that is a scary thought. lets poison our kids for convience. i'm all for a pox party and letting our immunes do what they were meant to do.
That's my understanding as well. Schools don't lose money from having kids miss school for it, and the considerations in the work force, you know

Like you said, yes let's inject poison into our kids' bloodstreams for the convenience of all
#7 of 35 Old 01-26-2008, 11:49 PM

Wow. Is it really O.K for children at such a young age to have chicken pox? I always though grade school age was good.........

My son is 21 months and someone we know's children have it.... whatta ya think? I want to, but I guess I'm a smidge scared too.
#8 of 35 Old 01-27-2008, 12:18 AM

My oldest daughter was 3 when she got it. The next two didn't catch it from her, somehow, but a while later they got it, they were respectively 21 months and 8 months old.

They were fine, I wasn't concerned. Those babies are 20, 18, and 16 years old now. That was when it was still normal to 'just get' CP, and you didn't really have the option of choosing what age your kids were when they did.

I tend to think that my baby is a good age to get it, at 14 months, because he will nurse for comfort. 21 months sounds even better to me, since they can verbally express their discomfort and you can reason with them a little more effectively, and maybe they won't scratch too much.

But it's up to you of course.
#9 of 35 Old 01-27-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorsky View Post
The score so far: Five kids in our playgroup, four completely vaxed, two of the vaxed have had either shingles or CP. Not a good batting average for the vax.

Kristin
Is there a smiley that shudders?? I had shingles when I was 7 mos prego with dd and it was the worst pain ever. I tear up at the thought of a child having to go through that sort of pain. It was way worse than labor pain and it lasted for 2 weeks straight. I wouldn't wish it on my very worst enemy. Of course I rubbed ds all over my blisters and he still didn't catch the pox.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#10 of 35 Old 01-27-2008, 03:50 AM

Quote:
A SAHM that I know did it for that reason, convenience. My ds1 got cp when he was about 3 and my mom watched him while I was at work as she was not working herself at the time. When I told the sahm this, she replied, "must be nice to have someone watch your kid while they're sick". I was like WTF, you're a sahm, you're supposed to watch your kids when she's sick. I would have stayed home with my ds1 but he wasn't allowed back at daycare until he'd scabbed over and the cp was clearing up.
#11 of 35 Old 01-27-2008, 04:08 AM
DBZ

My DD got chicken pox when she was just over a year. It was a mild case. The rash was only on her belly for the most part. She did just fine. My older child was more miserable but she had is ALL over and had strep too. About a year or so ago, I had DD#2 titered for it because a friend of mine is HIV+ and can't risk exposure since she's never had the cp. Even with DD's mild case, she is fully immune.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#12 of 35 Old 01-27-2008, 04:19 AM

It gets sold to the public policy people on the "avoid lost productivity line", but to parents with "cp can KILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
#13 of 35 Old 01-27-2008, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
It gets sold to the public policy people on the "avoid lost productivity line", but to parents with "cp can KILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Exactly.

:
#14 of 35 Old 01-27-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
DOES NOT SURPRISE ME.

Also -- I say this on EVERY chicken pox thread -- it is NOT a big deal to most people. I have had it. I live to tell the tale. It was a PITA but we traveled and had a great time. I got to wear makeup. I got to have attention and warm baths. It itched a lot and it sucked in that respect. But it's not half as bad as Norwalk virus.
#15 of 35 Old 01-27-2008, 01:56 PM

This reminds me of something I got in my e-mail the other day:

Quote:
Texas recorded a 41 percent increase in cases of chicken pox from 2005 to 2007, despite an eight-year-old requirement that children be vaccinated before they can enter kindergarten.
... officials said they will study the booster this spring to decide if it too should be required in schools and day care centers.

vaccinated students who get chicken pox end up staying home the same number of days as they would have without the vaccine.

“…But what we do know — what we are almost 100 percent certain — is that the solution to that is another dose of the vaccine."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/5471556.html
#16 of 35 Old 01-27-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
This reminds me of something I got in my e-mail the other day:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/5471556.html
Don't schools loose/make money based on attendance? Therefore it's more than a convenience, it's a money maker for schools.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#17 of 35 Old 01-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayAtHomeMama21 View Post
Wow. Is it really O.K for children at such a young age to have chicken pox? I always though grade school age was good.........

My son is 21 months and someone we know's children have it.... whatta ya think? I want to, but I guess I'm a smidge scared too.
I was about 4, and my next younger sister is just over two years younger, when we both got it (from the neighbors, who were 3yo and 18 months). None of us even have any scars left (we kind of "outgrew" the few we had). I would be comfortable with my child catching it between 12 and 24 months. I would prefer they be a little bit older (4 to 6 yo), but with all the vaxxing going on, I would worry that it would be my last chance to catch wild CP.
#18 of 35 Old 01-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Banned

Well, they are *almost* 100% certain, so let's inject the kids!
#19 of 35 Old 01-27-2008, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swellmomma View Post
if he was only 8 months old he would not have had the CP vax yet anyway, that isn't given until 12 months, so him beingvaxed has nothing to do with CP.
Ah yes, you're right! I apologize for getting the schedule wrong. I was thinking she'd had the shot by now. Oops.

Kristin

#20 of 35 Old 01-27-2008, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
Is there a smiley that shudders?? I had shingles when I was 7 mos prego with dd and it was the worst pain ever. I tear up at the thought of a child having to go through that sort of pain. It was way worse than labor pain and it lasted for 2 weeks straight. I wouldn't wish it on my very worst enemy. Of course I rubbed ds all over my blisters and he still didn't catch the pox.
I've read that shingles in children in not a big deal -- but as you know, it's awful in adults. The boy who had it had very few symptoms and a small rash that needed a few days to crust over.

Kristin

#21 of 35 Old 01-27-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayAtHomeMama21 View Post

I was born with it, (my mom got cp the last week of her pg), my older kids were 2 and 3 when they got it. WHen dd got shingles at 5, little ds got cp from her at age 8 months. HOnestly the 8 month old was easier to keep from scratching etc. I plan on looking for a pox party for baby once she is over a year. I think 21 months is a great time, by school age the risk of complications is already slowly increasing.

:
#22 of 35 Old 01-27-2008, 03:10 PM

about shingles in children. I had it at age 9 my dd at age 5, the pain was there but easy to manage at those ages, no post neuralgic pain, no scars. We both had th actual CP Virus so getting it "wild" so to speak doesn't actually help prevent it either. I don't even remember having it other than memories of missing school and being happy because I hated my teacher that year, dd doesn't remember it at all.

:
#23 of 35 Old 01-27-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swellmomma View Post
about shingles in children. I had it at age 9 my dd at age 5, the pain was there but easy to manage at those ages, no post neuralgic pain, no scars. We both had th actual CP Virus so getting it "wild" so to speak doesn't actually help prevent it either. I don't even remember having it other than memories of missing school and being happy because I hated my teacher that year, dd doesn't remember it at all.
I've been told that you can only get shingles if you've already had chicken pox..
#24 of 35 Old 01-27-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I've been told that you can only get shingles if you've already had chicken pox..
Some children have been found to have chickenpox titers, but never showed symptoms of typical chickenpox infection. Additionally, most of the children/toddlers getting shingles are cp-vaccinated children.
#25 of 35 Old 01-28-2008, 07:40 AM

That's interesting. I always read that shingles was a (later) complication of an 'incomplete' case of cp. IOW, that a person could only get shingles if they had been exposed to cp but didn't get a strong enough case of it.

I wonder if shingles is going to be shown to be a complication of (caused directly by) the vaccine.

I have never heard of little children getting shingles before.
#26 of 35 Old 01-28-2008, 12:39 PM

Eeeek! Chicken pox! (eyeroll). We just got done with it here, and I was AMAZED at how everyone reacted when told that DD had it. To get her case documented in her med record, we had to take her to the doctor. They agreed to see her, but only as the last appointment of the day, and we had to come in thru the back door. sheesh. You'd think she had the plague.

Glad we're done with it, I agree with PP, don't worry about your dc, it's just CP.

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#27 of 35 Old 01-28-2008, 12:54 PM

For what it's worth, back in maybe 1973 or so, when I had it, my parents had to bring me in through the back door as the last appointment of the day too.

That was way, way before the vaccine, and at that time it was absolutely normal to get cp. It was recognized that you do want to get it well before puberty, etc.

I think there is a (probably valid) concern about passing it to very young babies who may be in the office, or kids who are sick with other illnesses of various severities.

I didn't know that you had to have it documented. What is the benefit of this?
#28 of 35 Old 01-28-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyastara View Post
That's interesting. I always read that shingles was a (later) complication of an 'incomplete' case of cp. IOW, that a person could only get shingles if they had been exposed to cp but didn't get a strong enough case of it.

I wonder if shingles is going to be shown to be a complication of (caused directly by) the vaccine.

I have never heard of little children getting shingles before.
I did a lot of researching when I had shingles and basically they have no idea how or why shingles happen (although like the pp stated you do need to have gotten the CP virus which you may or many not have noticed). I got CP when I was 4 and I remember being totally covered and really itchy...I think I remember it so vividly because the blisters were in my butt and my mom was always yelling at me not to scratch LOL. They don't really understand what brings on shingles. Some sources say stress and lowered immune system. I was pretty darn healthy and stress free at 7 mos prego though...I was eating well and still working out regularly. I guess something like 80% of cases of shingles happen in adults over the age of 60.

They have a shingles vaccine now that they push on the seniors. My mom just turned 60 and she is dead set on getting the vax even though her insurance won't cover it and it costs $300. I told her she was paying $300 for aluminum and a bunch of other junk that would make her ill and be bad for her body but she thinks I'm crazy for not vaxing and won't listen to me. You'd think a woman who's had 3 different types of cancer would care when carcinogens are being injected into her body. :

I am really happy to hear that kids don't have the pain. Everyone said I was young enough that it wouldn't be that bad, I was 26, but it still was. I don't have any scars though or any remaining damage so I got lucky. Also, if I wasn't prego and could have taken vicodin like candy like I really wanted to instead of breaking them into quarters and only taking them when I couldn't function at all, I'm sure it wouldn't have been too horrible.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#29 of 35 Old 01-29-2008, 12:58 PM

[QUOTE=skyastara;10388825]If your daughter should come down with it, would you consider passing it on? I've been searching for CP for my son for 10 years Not too much longer till he is old enough that it becomes a real concern if he doesn't get it.
QUOTE]

I just posted about my concerns with my choice not to vax and this is one of the points going in my head. DD is 7 and no one around us has had CP and this worry's me that if she does not get it then she'll be at higher risk later in her life. Anyone get to an age point without CP and then get the vax? Or is it not really all the helpful anyway, although to some point it must be working because so many children are not getting CP anymore.? Dunno just thoughts

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
#30 of 35 Old 01-29-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyastara View Post
I didn't know that you had to have it documented. What is the benefit of this?
If you have it documented that the child had CP, the school/dr/whatever won't bug you to get them the vaccine.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page