HELP! CP booster? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-12-2008, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If your children had the first dose of Varicella at age 1 (HUGE REGRETS) would you get the booster shot? Yes or no? Is there a big risk of getting shingles if you're exposed to chicken pox after having the cp vax?

This is for my cousin. She has 4 children and doesn't want to get them their booster shots but doesn't know if skipping this particular booster is a mistake.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#2 of 8 Old 08-12-2008, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have this problem with my 2 girls, and I totally regret the decision!! I plan on waiting to see if I can get them exposed to a natural case of chicken pox in the next few years. I don't know exactly what my plan is if they don't get them by adulthood. I guess at least then it will be their choice whether they want to take the risks with their bodies.
#3 of 8 Old 08-12-2008, 08:42 PM

I regret having ds vaxed at all. With what I now know about vaccines, I'd have a very difficult time allowing him to receive any more. As far as CP goes, we are just going to wait and see. I am hoping that once he starts school he will be exposed and can get it naturally.
#4 of 8 Old 08-12-2008, 09:34 PM

the 2 of my boys who have the chickenpox vaccine ( 1 dose) both got chickenpox. That was before they recommended a 2nd dose. Regular cases not mild cases.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#5 of 8 Old 08-14-2008, 12:53 AM

Our first DS had the vax. He will not be getting the booster or any other further vaxes. When our unvaxed DS2 caught CP last summer, I was hoping DS1 would catch it but he did not. I am going to try again next summer. I am hoping the vax will wear off and he can get CP for real.

I have never heard anything about having the vax making it worse to get CP as a child. Just that it will eventually wear off, and it's worse to get CP as a teen or adult. So just like it was before the vax came along, it's best to go through CP as a child.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#6 of 8 Old 08-14-2008, 01:53 AM

I would not. I'm not sure I follow your shingles question. Getting shingles doesn't happen from exposure to CP. In fact regular exposure to CP can KEEP you from getting shingles.

-Angela
#7 of 8 Old 08-14-2008, 07:36 AM

I personally wouldn't... if you regret the first, why would you do the second?

There is a homeopathic vacine for varicella if you are worried about it. Look into it, or maybe question a ND about it?
#8 of 8 Old 08-14-2008, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks everyone!

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page