Where can I find reasons too vaccinate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 11-30-2003, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I have been researching vaccinations and everything we find is a reason to NOT vaccinate. We're sort of stuck on the HepB vaccination. We think it is ridiculous to vaccinate an infant against a disease that is contracted through sex and sharing of needles. We think there has to be a reason why the docs want us to do the vaccination that early, but we can't find it anywhere. DH is sticking with the doctors know more than we know until he finds out what the doctors reasons are. Then he can say their reasons are dumb we will wait until we think it is a threat to our child, or their reasons are good we will go along with their recommendation. Can anyone help me find this information?
#2 of 20 Old 11-30-2003, 06:00 PM

The Hep B vaccine was developed to protect promiscous people, prostitutes, gay men and IV drug users. The vaccine program was a resounding failure, as none of these groups of people were interested in going in to receive the vaccine. So the recommendation changed to vaccinate newborns, since pediatricians have ready access to them.
#3 of 20 Old 11-30-2003, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is from the CDC's website:
1. Why get vaccinated?

Hepatitis B is a serious disease.

The hepatitis B virus (HBV) can cause short-term (acute) illness
that leads to:
- loss of appetite
- diarrhea and vomiting
- tiredness
- jaundice (yellow skin or eyes)
- pain in muscles, joints, and stomach

It can also cause long-term (chronic) illness that leads to:
- liver damage (cirrhosis)
- liver cancer
- death

About 1.25 million people in the U.S. have chronic HBV infection.

Each year it is estimated that:
- 80,000 people, mostly young adults, get infected with HBV
- More than 11,000 people have to stay in the hospital because
of hepatitis B
- 4,000 to 5,000 people die from chronic hepatitis B

Hepatitis B vaccine can prevent hepatitis B. It is the first
anti-cancer vaccine because it can prevent a form of liver
cancer.

2. How is hepatitis B virus spread?

Hepatitis B virus is spread through contact with the blood and
body fluids of an infected person. A person can get infected in
several ways, such as:
- by having unprotected sex with an infected person
- by sharing needles when injecting illegal drugs
- by being stuck with a used needle on the job
- during birth when the virus passes from an infected mother to
her baby

About one third of people who are infected with hepatitis B in
the United States don't know how they got it.

3. Who should get hepatitis B vaccine and when?

1) Everyone 18 years of age and younger
2) Adults over 18 who are at risk

Adults at risk for HBV infection include:
- people who have more than one sex partner in 6 months
- men who have sex with other men
- sex contacts of infected people
- people who inject illegal drugs
- health care workers and public safety workers who might be
exposed to infected blood or body fluids
- household contacts of persons with chronic hepatitis B virus
infection
- hemodialysis patients

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 20 Old 11-30-2003, 08:05 PM

Thanks for posting the info from the CDC - phathui5. My first 2 were vaxed for hep B in the hospital- I didn't really think about it. They told me 'serious disease, we have vax so you don't get it'. I said ok. As I've realized what Hep B is and how it's spread, it just doesn't make sense to vax an infant.

With the why get vaxed and how is it spread sections, it makes absolutely NO sense to me why they would put 'everyone under age 18' as who should get the vax. Very enlightening for me.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#5 of 20 Old 11-30-2003, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The only reason dd's doctor gave us for giving the HepB vaccine early was that we can't be sure she won't eventually engage in behavior that puts her at risk, so it makes sense to protect her now, rather than leaving it up to her to decide whether to get the vaccine when she's older. The doctor didn't seem to think it was important to get HepB vaccine as an infant, though - just sometime during childhood. We couldn't find any good explanation anywhere for why it was so important to give this particular vaccine to a newborn - other than the public health explanation. It seems pretty clear that the recommendation to give the first dose of the vaccine immediately after birth is meant to benefit the population as a whole (because it will ensure more people will be vaccinated), not the individual baby who is vaccinated. There doesn't seem to be any strong evidence that the vaccine is harmful to most newborns, but it just seemed like common sense to us that it would be safer not to vaccinate a day-old baby who was still adjusting to life outside the womb and who might have health problems that hadn't yet been detected at that point.
#6 of 20 Old 11-30-2003, 08:31 PM

To vax a child because they *might* engage in unsafe sex later doesn't make sense to me either. I would much rather discuss that as one of the risks of having sex when they get closer to that time. I mean, it makes sense what they're saying, but it's sort of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#7 of 20 Old 11-30-2003, 08:33 PM

Quote:
We think there has to be a reason why the docs want us to do the vaccination that early, but we can't find it anywhere.
It all comes down to lawsuits, the reason most things are done in hospitals. Hospitals are dirty places, full of disease and germs. Hepatitis B is commonly found in hospitals. If they vaccinate your baby with the Hep b vaccine, it clears them from any fault if the baby does pick up hepatitis b while in the hospital.

The staff doesn't have to be as clean or as careful this way.

Sorry, I'm just a little cynical.

A little T

The NICU where dd spent three days was the dirtiest place I've ever seen. And this was in one of the top hospitals to give birth in my area. It was laughable how they made parents scrub up and practically wear a body suit, but the nurses and other staff were far from sterile or having the kind of hygenic habits you'd expect in such a place.
#8 of 20 Old 11-30-2003, 09:28 PM

I just did a whole lot of research on Hep B and the vaccine. here is just some of the information I have compiled:
This information is provided by Mercola.com, the world's most visited and trusted natural health website with over 25,000 pages of free health insight.

Warning: New Hepatitis Vaccine Recs Can Devastate Newborn's Health
The newly released 2002 immunization schedule encourages the routine use of hepatitis B vaccine for all infants before hospital discharge to
·Safeguard against maternal hepatitis B testing errors and test reporting failures
·Protect neonates discharged to households in which hepatitis B chronic carriers other than the mother may reside
·Enhance the completion of the childhood immunization series
The annual "Recommended Childhood Immunization Schedule" of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) is issued in January of each year.

DR. MERCOLA'S COMMENT:
Folks I am outraged. We need to take action now. These recommendations are inexcusable.
There is no possible logical recommendation for this action. All of these arguments are fatally flawed.

http://www.mercola.com/2002/jan/23/h...is_vaccine.htm

**Edited per copyright policy**

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...&threadid=6026

For further information on Hepatitis vaccines see: http://www.vaclib.org/links/hep.htm
#9 of 20 Old 04-28-2004, 12:22 AM

Why don't you ask the doctors who want to give the vaccine to babies?

Sure it is ridiculous to vaccinate a newborn against a disease that is usually a sexually transmitted disease or a disease acquired through sharing drug needles.

Ask the doctors what is going on in those newborn nurseries, and go from there. :Puke

Sorry if I sound alittle cynical, but doctors and other such professionals are very good at making a ridiculous statement and waiting for you to come up with an answer.

#10 of 20 Old 04-28-2004, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was working as a high school teacher in the inner city when the vax first came out. There was a big push by the CDC to get teenagers vaccinated, but the big problem was getting to see a healthcare practitioner to get the necessary three doses. (Even when it was free, it was hard to get them to come in three times.) So, the CDC started looking for another way to gain compliance, and the population that they have access to are babies.
Edited to add: they even sent public health nurses to the schools to give out the vax, but still had a hard time. Teenagers just didn't want to get stuck three times.

I spoke with my doctor about this (who is very knowledgeable and very against the HepB vax), and she confirmed that it was an effort to get the vax in at a time when they could, as it's much harder to vax adults. (Adults can also report side effects better than babies.) She also doesn't understand why we need to give them this vax AT BIRTH if the mother is HepB-. She told me, "He needs it when he becomes sexually active, if at all."
#11 of 20 Old 04-28-2004, 08:41 AM

With a vaccine as dangerous as hep b, it makes sense to give it at birth. Then how can you, as the parent of this brand new baby, say, "my child changed after he received that vaccine! It has damaged him!"?
You can't. There is no history. So we start vaxing right away and vaccines can't be blamed for any of it.

Talk about cynical. But I do believe it.
#12 of 20 Old 04-28-2004, 08:47 AM

When I asked my ped this very question her response was that it was required (in our state, SC) at 13. Once parents found out that their 13 year olds were being vaxed against a sexually transimitted disease (people here tend to hang on that method of contracting this disease) they refused to have their teens vaxed against it as it gave them permission to have sex. Yeah, kinda stupid. So now, they do it at birth...even more stupid.
#13 of 20 Old 04-28-2004, 09:00 AM

IME, this is one vax some Docs will admit "is not necessary now". Aas forementioned, my stateis requiring all 3 doses for all high school students this fall. So alot of teens will be rushed into it this Summer and Fall...
#14 of 20 Old 04-28-2004, 02:46 PM

I already mentioned this in the other thread, but I think it is worth putting in this one. I know two people personally and one from the thread whose newborn was given the vax without the consent! How did this happen? One of them specifically said no, and my sil meant to decline but thinks it might have been on paperwork she signed for oking the eydrop and vit k thing, anyway, if you are soon to give birth watch carefully when anything is done with your infant, and specifically note in your chart NO HEP B (I think I would put a sticky on the babies forehead too (sort of just kidding, I wish I knew how to put these little icons in my text) Anyway, maybe I seem a little distrustful or paranoid, but I think it is wise!
#15 of 20 Old 04-28-2004, 07:36 PM

#16 of 20 Old 04-28-2004, 07:56 PM

I think a few others mentioned this BUT, the Hep B vaccine is given at birth for two reasons. One is because the patient is there and it's an opportunity to vaccinate. (teens who are at risk ARE harder to bring in to an office for a vaccination let alone three). Two if everyone gets the vaccination starting at birth it lowers the risk of exposure and may eventually be irradicated. That said, I really don't think a newborn needs the Hep B. They are not a risk and it is too much for a newborn's immune system.
#17 of 20 Old 04-28-2004, 08:06 PM

#18 of 20 Old 04-28-2004, 08:09 PM

But the inoculation only lasts 7 yrs.
Now what could the real reason be to vax at birth?
#19 of 20 Old 04-28-2004, 08:42 PM
EBM

#20 of 20 Old 04-28-2004, 09:32 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page