The South Beach Diet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 12-21-2003, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any success stories for this diet? I need to do something before I eat myself to death.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 01-25-2004, 05:36 AM
Len

Bump!
me too
#3 of 30 Old 01-25-2004, 12:44 PM

I'm on it -- I love it! I've lost 18 pounds since mid-November. I'm never hungry and thoroughly enjoy the foods that are allowed so much that I barely miss the ones not allowed (except for sugar, my downfall : ). I don't follow it to the letter, mostly because I can not get many reduced- or non-fat foods here -- I just watch the amounts I use. I've found a lot of great new recipes through the website (which you have to pay to join but for me it has been worth it -- didn't have to buy the book and I get the latest updates automatically). I also found an awesome food magazine through the site that I subscribed to -- www.eatingwell.com -- which has great recipes and really solid nutrition articles. Anyway, I do recommend it -- I think it's a very realistic, easy way to eat that not only helps with weight loss but with overall health.
#4 of 30 Old 01-26-2004, 04:33 PM
Len

Thanks Jill,
I think I will give it a try... doesn't sound bad at all! And congrats on your "loss"
#5 of 30 Old 01-26-2004, 09:46 PM

Dh read a magazine article about it and commented, "Wow, this is how I've been eating for years!" He's totally smitten with it, of course, because he agrees with everything in it and had come up with it on his own.

I think whether a diet works for an individual depends on metabolic type and also on various psychological factors. But, overall, it does look like a pretty healthy plan.

FWIW, dh is really in better shape than most of his peer group (corporate types in their 40s), not just in terms of weight but in terms of *health*.
#6 of 30 Old 02-02-2004, 02:01 AM

Queen Gwen: my DH did the same thing, lol.

I heard an interview with the "inventor" on the Diane Rheam show on NPR this past week.

I like what he had to say about the sugar high and lows we get.

Unfortunately, I have eaten cereal for breakfast every morning and I really love it. But, I also love oatmeal and so now I'm eating that. I do notice that I don't get any cravings for mid-morning snacks when I have oatmeal (b/c my blood sugar isn't crashing).

I'm a total sugar addict and I do get strong cravings for sweets throughout the day. I'm only lucky right now to be at a place where I can indulge those cravings and not gain weight. But I know I need to deal with this one day if not for my own health (rather than just appearances) then for my DD. I don't want to model this behaviour for her.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#7 of 30 Old 02-02-2004, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm planning on starting it on Saturday.

Now, off to read more of the book...
#8 of 30 Old 02-03-2004, 08:13 PM

what's the south beach diet?
#9 of 30 Old 02-03-2004, 10:48 PM

OK, one thing I have a concern with....

I will not eat NutraSweet or Splenda. I just cannot. I believe that they're dangerous chemicals and I will not eat them.

I guess what I"m struggling with is my sugar addiction. Do any of you notice that you stop craving sugar at any point? I'm really scared! lol
#10 of 30 Old 02-04-2004, 01:51 AM

I am on this with my dh. We've just completed day 5 and so far I'm really happy with it.

CeraMae, the diet talks about how refined carbs and sugars are so bad for us. The first two weeks of the diet you eat no grains or fruit or anything with sugar. You eat plenty of vegetables, meat (unless you are veg), nuts, eggs, cheese (unless you are vegan) tofu, beans, etc. (we are not veg but I picked up a Vegetarian mag at the store a few weeks ago and it had an article on how to do this diet if you are veg - that's actually what sparked me to look into it ). Then after two weeks he claims your cravings for sugar and refined carbs should be gone. Then you slowly add back fruit, whole grain products (brown rice, whole grain bread, etc). But he is of the opinion you shouldn't eat bread/pasta, whatever at every meal, every day, even if it's whole grain.

I ended up on this diet for a few reasons. First, his book addressed every issue my dh has. Dh is pre-diabetic, has high blood pressure (even with the meds), staggeringly high triglycerides and had a father who had diabetes and heart problems. Ridding our diet of refined grains and excess sugars is only going to help.

But also I have always had a huge problem with craving sweets and baked goods. I didn't really connect the two, but I guess it does make sense. Honestly, I haven't had a problem with cravings yet! I don't even have trouble feeding the kids their usual stuff, though I did look a little longingly at the blueberries they were eating this afternoon

I really like how he stresses (in the book) that this is not low carb, or doesn't have to be low carb, etc. I'm rather anti-Atkins and can see how this could be interpreted that way if someone got the wrong idea. Instead, I am making sure we are getting Plenty of carbs. My dh for one is eating more vegetables than he can count, :LOL I read on another thread that someone said you shouldn't do this while nursing? I am nursing but he's a toddler so maybe that's it. Or maybe it's that I am making sure I'm getting a boat load of vegetable carbs. We're really stuffing ourselves with vegetables around here :LOL

Pam, just don't eat them. His dessert suggestions are not essential to the plan or anything. Actually, I haven't even followed a single recipe or meal plan yet. I'm just following the guidelines and the foods lists and making it up myself as I go along.
#11 of 30 Old 02-04-2004, 06:43 AM

I read the bumpf about the south beach diet on line in some recipe web site. I do my version - the south island diet :LOL

My memory is not good these days due to lack of sleep. But I seem to remember you had to cut out carbs & sugar. As I am still bf I can't officially do the first phase. I'm kinda addicted to porridge anyways

What I have done is cut out refined carbs & more specifically wheat. I allow myself one thing with sugar in a day. I still eat a bit of organic fruit & the odd slice of spelt flour cake with the kids. I have oatmeal with maple syrup & raw butter for breakfast. I have also dealt to the types of fats I eat. Like no more hydrogenated fats, no more homogonised milk ( not that I was drinking it anyways ) I do have a thing right now for organic, unpasteurised clotted cream & fresh raw herb cheese. Still I have lost a good amount of weight where the gym failed &, more importantly my cravings for carbs & sugar have gone. Not only have they gone, but on the rare occasion that I do have a slice of spelt cake, I only have one slice & am satisfied. I don't actually know how much weight I have lost but my prebaby jeans now fit me.

I have been told that sugar cravings are helped by chromium supplementation. I was certainly better when I took chromium. However I also found certain foods triggered sugar cravings. Like the more biscuits I ate, the more I wanted to eat.
#12 of 30 Old 02-04-2004, 07:05 AM

Quote:
the diet talks about how refined carbs and sugars are so bad for us. The first two weeks of the diet you eat no grains or fruit or anything with sugar. You eat plenty of vegetables, meat (unless you are veg), nuts, eggs, cheese (unless you are vegan) tofu, beans, etc. (we are not veg but I picked up a Vegetarian mag at the store a few weeks ago and it had an article on how to do this diet if you are veg - that's actually what sparked me to look into it ). Then after two weeks he claims your cravings for sugar and refined carbs should be gone. Then you slowly add back fruit, whole grain products (brown rice, whole grain bread, etc). But he is of the opinion you shouldn't eat bread/pasta, whatever at every meal, every day, even if it's whole grain.
This is Atkins....what's going on, different name, same diet?
#13 of 30 Old 02-04-2004, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Foods like cheese and nuts are carbs. South Beach allows "good carbs" on the low glycemic index. Carbs are good for you . . .just not the white ones.
#14 of 30 Old 02-04-2004, 04:54 PM

Not not not Atkins! Atkins restricts ALL carbs. The first phase of Atkins restricts your carb intake to 20 grams a day in order to push your body into starvation mode. South Beach restricts *certain* carbs but is not *low* carb. I put my food on Fitday.com to make sure I was not going low carb and I logged in 75 grams of carbs my first day on this diet. (while typing this I just snarfed down 14 grams of carbohydrates in the form of sugar snap peas - if I was on Atkins, that would almost be it for the day but on SB, it was just a snack )

Also, Atkins states that saturated fat is just dandy for you and you can eat all you like. South Beach encourages you to steer toward vegetable fats (like olive oil, nuts) and to go for lean meats and low fat cheeses. Definitely not Atkins.

No offence to anyone who likes Atkins, but believe me, this is not Atkins. The goal is the same however. They are both going for weight loss and to overcome refined carb cravings.
#15 of 30 Old 02-04-2004, 05:09 PM

I've been on it for three weeks, and I like the diet as far as it doesn't feel like a diet. The cravings do go away after the first couple of days - it's really amazing! I missed the fruit the first two weeks but it wasn't terrible.

The only thing that is bugging me is that you are supposed to drop a lot of weight the first two weeks and then continue to lose slowly after that. I lost about six lbs. the first week, but my weight hasn't changed since then (nearly two more weeks). I'm not sure if it's because I don't have that much to lose (only about 15 lbs.), or if it's because I never ate that many bad carbs to begin with - I always ate whole grains and lots of fruit and vegetables before, and not too much sugar.

My extra weight is more from lack of exercise than poor eating habits - I moved to the damn suburbs, that's what I did, and I have to DRIVE everywhere! Maybe I need to join a gym, too...:
#16 of 30 Old 02-04-2004, 07:27 PM

I got a little paranoid so I went to Fitday.com and entered in what I ate today (that i can remember, my memory has never been what it used to be :LOL!). It's only 4:30 where I am and I'm already at 54 grams of carbohydrates. That's more than two and a half times the Atkin's induction daily limit. And for dinner we'll have another huge mess of vegetables with sliced chicken, and I usually have a snack before or after (or both ) so more carbs there
#17 of 30 Old 02-04-2004, 08:55 PM

I had to come back here and check out this thread, since glancing at the title of this post last week was the first I had heard of this diet. I was at playgroup today, telling one of the moms that I have a very hard time sticking to a diet, and I need more lifestyle changes instead. I'm a bread-freak and I'm trying to overcome that...oh, that and my soda addiction. I mentioned that I was going to just stop eating bread, replacing it with lettuce wraps for sandwiches and such and cut out the soda and sweets. I have had such a sweet tooth since I had kids. I would think those three things would make some difference, since I eat fairly with the exception of those two. She told me that she would lend me the South Beach Diet book, maybe I'll give it a shot.
#18 of 30 Old 02-05-2004, 05:37 PM

Here's an article if anyone is interested http://www.prevention.com/cda/featur...1-6559,00.html
#19 of 30 Old 02-06-2004, 06:23 AM

Lunamom, it is definitely normal for people who only have a little weight to lose to do it more slowly than those who have a lot. This comes up as a question all the time on the website message boards and in chats with Dr. Agatston. Also, if you are "pear" shaped rather than "apple" shaped, you will probably lose slower. And I think the fact that you were already eating in a similar way would also affect it. I lost 11 pounds during the first two weeks, and then stalled out for the next couple. Then it started to come off slooowwwllly but gradually.
#20 of 30 Old 02-07-2004, 08:28 PM
Dar

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelly71
Foods like cheese and nuts are carbs.
Actually, most cheese has no carbs at all, and nuts are very low carb - about 3 grams per ounce... Lots of fat and protein, though....

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#21 of 30 Old 02-09-2004, 01:09 AM

If you were on Atkins, you'd have to count every gram though, so that 3 grams of carbs in nuts would be a step toward 20 grams (the 2 week induction). It does add up. I am still amazed that anyone can do the Atkins induction and not get sick. I had beans with my lunch today and looking at the back of the can, I ate 18 grams of carbs just from the beans (and that's not counting the lettuce, tomato and onion salsa, chopped peppers and sliced onions I had *with* those beans). I commented to dh that if we were on Atkins, that meal would be it for carbs for the day. Probably over the 20 gram daily limit given all the salsa I used :LOL (love that Whole Foods fresh salsa - I keep meaning to try and make it myself).

Good luck to everyone Lunamom, I've never been that close to my ideal weight so I have no clue, :LOL I have heard it's harder to lose the less you have, so I'd also say that's probably it.
#22 of 30 Old 02-09-2004, 01:50 AM

Shannon-

I think I'd have a very tough time with Atkins as well. The SBD, for me at least, seems like something that is much more sensible and something that I can do longterm. That's my major goal, not so much the initial loss, since I don't have much to lose and I know that will come off at the gym, but rather changing my eating habits for the better. For me, that is going to take the loss of cravings to accomplish. I start officially tomorrow, although now that I look back on the past four days or so, I guess I've been pretty much following the diet. I just needed to go shopping to get all of my green veggies before I could feel official...lol.

I had people staring at me at the produce market today. The entire contents of my cart were green at one point. Romaine, spinach, broccoli, celery. One lady even commented on how green it was...lol. I added some white onions and some tomatoes to my cart, then the cashier said something about it not being Christmas anymore I guess my purchase did look kind of festive! It was so wierd not buying fruit. I have been such a veggie slacker lately, it's really pathetic. I eat a ton of fruit usually though, so it is hard to avoid it when I'm staring into the fridge.

I was so proud of myself when I returned home from the store. I had been running around shopping all morning witht he baby in the sling and I wanted to sit down. As tempted as I was to just throw the bags of veggies in the fridge, I didn't! I washed all of my veggies, dried them on the counter and put them into Ziploc bags in the fridge. I cut and tore some of the smaller romaine pieces and spinach to have for quick salads, left whole spinach in another bag and whole romaine leaves in another. I cut up all of the celery and broccoli (into little florets) and bagged them up as well. It took me the better part of an hour to do this whole process, but I can already tell that it is going to make a difference in my consumption of veggies. I normally do a great job of buying them, then tossing them from the fridge when they've gone bad. Somewhere in there I fail to actually consume them! When I made dinner tonight, it was so easy to grab some broccoli and throw it in the steamer, then grab a handful of salad and throw it on the plate.

Oh...and since I'm rambling endlessly right now, I have to rave about my new George Foreman Grill!!! I bought the gigantic indoor/outdoor one yesterday afternoon. Tonight I made a salmon fillet on it, and it was sooooooo good, soooooo easy and clean up was a breeze. I've been pining for one for a long time and we just got our tax return, so I decided to go for it since I was starting this diet. I love, love, love it!!!
#23 of 30 Old 02-09-2004, 04:51 PM

South Beach is great. It's definitely NOT the same as Atkins, though. South Beach is basically a "whole foods" and healthy living version of Atkins. A lot of recent info about the effects of sugar and processed carbs on metabolism and weight gain is incorporated into a lot of diets, incl. Atkins, Zone, South Beach...

But the difference I see is that South Beach advocates lean meats, limiting saturated fats, eating things like legumes (even during phase 1), veggies, after 2 weeks, almost all fruits and veggies (except things like bananas and potatoes). On Atkins, you can have 2 measly cups of iceberg lettuce and that's it!! He's also completely against measuring what you eat. I like that aspect... who has time to keep track of all those carb, fat, protein grams?

After the first 2 weeks, SB isn't even low carb anymore. The difference is you're getting your carbs from whole, natural sources like whole grains, fruits, veggies, beans, nuts. No more white pasta or Wonder bread.

This diet is so easy to follow and unlike Atkins, I feel great on it. I've lost 8.5 pounds already.
#24 of 30 Old 02-09-2004, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BrandyMama
I normally do a great job of buying them, then tossing them from the fridge when they've gone bad.

: that is SO me I eat a lot of veggies, but I tend to stick to my favorites (sugar snap peas, tomatoes, broccoli, etc). I've finally decided that no matter how interesting or yummy a veggie looks, I will not buy it unless I have a specific recipe in mind or it can be eaten raw with minimal prep. No more "hey, I could do *something* with this" and a week later the "something" is throwing it in the garbage all slimy

Does anyone know what is considered "low carb"? I mean how many grams? The SBD claims not to be low carb and the way I'm doing it I agree. I'm eating huge amounts of vegetables (raw and cooked both) on a daily basis (every meal and snack I eat features veggies). And I eat beans too, which are a good source of carbs. I keep reading it referred to as low carb though.
#25 of 30 Old 02-09-2004, 05:17 PM

Hey, ya'll, I've decided to join my dh in his Body For Life program (he's done it for about three years) instead of the SBD.

I have the book and the Good Carb/Bad Carb, Good Fat/Bad Fight paperback for anyone that wants it. I'm willing to sell both for $15, including shipping!
#26 of 30 Old 02-09-2004, 05:23 PM

Pam, good luck with your plan
#27 of 30 Old 02-12-2004, 04:21 AM

For those of you who don't want to eat chemical sugar substitutes, try stevia. It's an herb that's actually been shown to be GOOD for you.

It's not as tasty as splenda, but it's still very good. And, Splenda is not well-tolerated by everyone, as some ppl still have a glacemic response with it. Cooking with Stevia takes some getting used to, as it is very potent, but you will get the hang of it. They use it in many herbal teas, as a natural sweetener. Next time you're in the tea aisle, take a look at some of the ingredients.

I bought a book called "Low-Carb Cooking with Stevia" to get me started, but there are many books out there that are probablly even better. Here's a link to what you can find on Amazon, if yo're interested: Books for cooking with Stevia on Amazon.com

Good Luck everyone!
#28 of 30 Old 02-12-2004, 04:25 AM

did a search and found out they actually have a whole website.

Here's the link:
http://www.stevia.net/
#29 of 30 Old 02-12-2004, 07:17 AM

On the SBD, you can also use fructose as your sweetener, which is natural and has a much lower glycemic index than table sugar. You can substitute it for sugar in some recipes -- it can't be cooked at high temps -- 325 F or preferably less.

Just wanted to chime in as well to re-emphasize the fact that SBD is NOT low-carb. Part of the joy for me in following this way of eating is that it does not involve any counting, weighing, measuring, etc. Just being mindful of what goes in my mouth -- concentrating on getting plenty of veggies and other good carbs. I'm now up to a 22 pound weight loss and still going.

Oh, I don't know how much he emphasizes this in the book, if at all -- but we should not be using low-carb foods, like Atkins products, etc. in following SBD. Stick to whole foods!
#30 of 30 Old 02-12-2004, 01:43 PM

Wow Jill, that's great! I just told DH last night that even if I didn't lose any weight on this, I am so much happier to be eating a more healthy diet. It has really shifted my focus to more greens and veggies, which are now becoming the main part of my meals, opposed to being an afterthought or forgotten completely.

Way to go mama!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page