smoking - Mothering Forums

#1 of 18 Old 03-13-2009, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just smoked another cigarette... Stress sucks. Especially when you know smoking is not the answer..:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 03-13-2009, 03:46 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Hugs, mama. Stress is what starts me back every time.
#3 of 18 Old 03-14-2009, 01:05 PM

btdt, have the tshirt. I am itching to smoke right now. heh. We should start a smokers recovery tribe. I confess, I had a few yesterday. But today is a clean slate, ya?

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><

#4 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

What a great idea! I had 3 today. Tonight for some reason, I feel no need to go out on the porch and light up. :
Maybe its my body "over ridding" my mind's psychological demand.
#5 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I smoke too. I was 6 or 8 when I first had a cig and started buying and inhaling at age 13. I am from NC, the tobacco capital... I found out about all the chemicals in regular cigs in 2004. The list would boggle your brain. There are something like 176 added chemicals. I found this out on the website for natural cigarettes http://www.nascigs.com So I started smoking those, it definitely helps. I know the chemicals in the regular cigarettes are far more addictive, because even though I was still smoking, I had horrible withdrawals. I still salivate at the thought of a camel filter.... so they did some research and decided on what to put in there to addict you to their particular brand maybe.... but anyway, I have managed to quit twice since starting the american spirits. both times for 7 months. i now only smoke 1 or 2 a day. they are more expensive, but I buy the loose tobacco and have a little roller thing. So I pay $8.00 for organic loose tobacco (it comes with natural gummed papers) and it lasts me 5 weeks. I have thought i should quit altogether, but i do not believe it ois worth the headache and stress over 1 or 2 natural cigs....also, it is my 'me' time, when i go outside and see the beauty of the earth. you can try to replace that with meditation, that has helped me cuz now im the only one tending dd2 so i dont get 10 min outside by myself, more like take 2 or 3 drags (while she is asleep and I listening through the monitor) and rush back in (because I like to be by her side 24/7). if i had a partner maybe i could quit again... that was how i quit for the first time, i replaced it with couple's activity iykwim. we made out every time i wanted to smoke. we were so busy neither of us worked though, and now i am bankrupt.... but it did work.

anyway, my point is, if you are going to smoke, make sure it is natural tobacco. The synthetically produced chemicals in regular smokes are far more detrimental, and in fact they are what the statistics about smoking are based on. i would be interested in seeing statistics on natural tobacco, maybe from native americans or a foreign culture like turkey that uses tobacco right from a field

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Me-
Hubby-
12 yo dd1-
; 7 yo dd2-
, 7 yo dss1
dss2
#6 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 08:07 PM

I smoked more than two packs a day for eight years. Tried to quit multiple times and always failed. A friend bought me a copy of The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr and I read it on a whim one Saturday afternoon while DH was out of town. You're supposed to smoke while you read it, which I did, and I didn't intend to really quit. Instead I had my last cigarette halfway through the book and never had another one. That was more than two years ago.

If you want to smoke, more power to you. If you want to quit, consider picking up a copy of that book. It was the best $10 I ever spent. It changed my life.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#7 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 08:10 PM

I smoke too! I hate it! Dont tell anyone!

I work in a bar, and really that is the only time that i smoke, but i can easily smoke 1/2 a pack there in a night.

Yuck! I so want to quit!

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif 
and expecting
1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#8 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 09:47 PM

I just quit after 15 years of smoking (I'm only 29!!) I have been clean for 67 days. I quit cold turkey. It is hard and I have definately had my stressors (FIL has cancer, 3 y/o twins, we are in the process of buying another house) also my dh is a smoker (only outside) but I just keep telling myself that smoking isn't the answer and I don't do it. I quit while I was pregnant and for 4 months afterwards but went back. I just spent the weekend with my mom and 2 friends, all smokers. It was SOOOO hard not to smoke when they did but I managed it. So I know if I can pass that test, I'm good. It's definately a constant struggle. You have to work on it every.single.day to stay clean. GL and don't beat yourself up. It's a really tough habit to break

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#9 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 11:47 PM

I haven't had a cigarette in about 4 (maybe 5?) years, but the past few months, I've occasionally had really strong cravings. I'm so scared I'll start again some night when I'm on my way home from work, dead exhausted and stressed to my limit.

computergeek2.gif

#10 of 18 Old 03-18-2009, 07:35 PM

I have heard (from my boss in a substance abuse center) that you can expect to have cravings for about 2 years after quitting. But every craving you pass up makes your stronger.

Just wanted to offer some encouragement. Lurking cuz my dh is trying to quit smoking. He's tried everything. He's doing Chantix now and it's working pretty good. I think he cheats a couple times a week but he says it's getting easier.

Lucky for him this method is working because Plan B was to try hypnotism and I was going to pay extra for them to suggest he take out the trash too.
#11 of 18 Old 03-19-2009, 10:27 AM

I quit when I found out I was pregnant with my son--over 4 years ago, now. I had read the Allen Carr book mentioned by another poster and found the method perscriped there to be very powerful. I wasn't ready to quit, though, when I first read that book and I didn't. But when I knew I HAD to quit (pregnant!), that book was what got me through, and what keeps me firmly in the non-smoker camp today. I know that I can never have even one cigarette ever again because then I will back to smoking a pack a day and back to feeling jailed by my addiction.

Quitting was the act I am most proud of in my life, honestly. For those struggling to get there, I feel for you. I was there for years and years. I was embarrased by my smoking, even though I was also convinced that I could not change the situation. I also was convinced that I liked smoking and that I liked all of the rituals around smoking. When I quit, though, all areas of my life got better and I did not miss smoking. Part of it was reprograming my way of thinking about smoking--instead of telling myself "I want a cigarette" or "I am so deprived; I love smoking and I can't do it" I told myself, "thank god I'm not smoking" or "I am so glad to be a non-smoker." For me, this was the most powerful part of quitting--not the health benefits (which, obviously, are good), but that feeling of being FREE.
#12 of 18 Old 03-21-2009, 02:29 AM

I just quit after 30 years of smoking!!!! I am so proud of myself for finally quiting after struggling for soooo long to quit. I find the single biggest barrier for me was mental (I did smoke ASpirits which I think makes a huge difference in addiction and withdrawl factors).... like I finally decided I was done... done done, not kinda done. It has been 6 or 7 weeks and I know that I will not smoke again. What a relief, I feel sooo free (now where did I put that chocolate bar?)
#13 of 18 Old 03-22-2009, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

: Aspenleaves, I am so happy for you! I have been off again on again smoking for 13 years. My last smoke was 3 1/2 days ago. I find my self really addicted this time though. I was going to buy a pack tonight but forgot about it. That is good but I still want one. Anyway, congratulations!
#14 of 18 Old 03-22-2009, 02:21 AM

so. those of you who have quit and say youve smoked 3 or 1 or 4 what do you do go buy a pack? I quit 12 days ago and wonder how long ill be thinking about it sounds like forever

bfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifmomsling.GIFsewmachine.gifknit.gifMama to Gavin, Lily, and Soren 
#15 of 18 Old 03-22-2009, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Every time ,I feel stressed, I want a smoke. Marlbro Lights. If the cancer causing part was cut out of smoking and it could be an enjoyable thing, I would smoke every day. Oh well. My motivation to not smoke is my duaghter and how I would never want her to see me smoke.
#16 of 18 Old 03-22-2009, 01:13 PM

I agree on starting the smokers recovery tribe.

I hate that I do it and wish I could stop.
#17 of 18 Old 05-30-2012, 10:31 AM

It takes tons of will power to get rid of this addiction but so many people have done is, so it is not impossible. User named Karina mentioned natural cigarettes. It is the first time I hear about them. I wonder if they are any different from smokeless cigarettes that are getting pretty popular: http://www.americaneliquidstore.com/categories/Electronic-Cigarette-Kits/ Their only downside is the cost. As you can see, one of those kits costs around 50 dollars but I think there are quite a few strings attached to that price. I mean, you also need to buy a battery, a charger, some liquid to fill it with, many things and it all costs money. Speaking of money, I am willing to pay more, provided that there is at least some guarantee that it will help me quit. Some people quit cold turkey but I tried several times and it just does not work. Not enough will power you will say? Not sure since I managed to find other addictions I had. So, I don't really know. Maybe it is just the fact of holding something in your hand while you are stressed? A friend recommended to carry some nuts or any other type of snack with me, so every time I want to pull out a cigarette, I get a hold of that snack instead. Anyone tried that method, bwt?

#18 of 18 Old 05-30-2012, 11:04 AM

I quit about 10 years ago after smoking a pack a day for about 8 years. I know this wouldn't work for everyone, but the way I did it was by not smoking for a week, but allowing myself one cigarette after a week on the Saturday night. So I smoked that one, then had to wait a week for the next one. I probably did this for a few weeks, then lost the desire for that one cigarette (that had stopped tasting very good and made my head spin). Not saying "never" was certainly the key for me. I think I also stepped up my exercise as that made me feel good and proud about how I was treating my body.

Happy mama to DS1 (2006), DS2 (2007) & DD (2012)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page