Thoughts on weight watchers and losing weight when you're cooking for a kid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-28-2003, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi

I want to start a diet Monday. I need to lose 20 pounds. Exercising is very hard for me - though I loved it before I gave birth - hiked every day while pg - there is no time and energy now - I am raising my daughter alone and am tapped out - mainly on time - it starts at 6:30 am after a half-sleepless night and goes until 9 - when I am totally pooped.

That aside - I have heard a lot of people say WW is the way to go - anyone have thoughts? I won't buy their food because I'm veg and organic, but the method is what I heard works.

Also, how the heck do you follow a diet when you're buying and cooking for a toddler? Making a separate meal for myself at dinner is just so extra energy - and even thinking of a separate menu while grocery shopping! Man!

Tell me how you do it!
#2 of 5 Old 12-28-2003, 01:28 PM

i lost over 60 lbs on weight watchers about 13 years ago. do you have to majorly cook? can you make her mini pizzas? you could eat that too and pasta. your portions are just going to have to be measured. i'm sure you know that. can you cook ahead and freeze it with your portion pre-measured.

good luck
#3 of 5 Old 12-28-2003, 02:13 PM

The Weight Watchers "diet" these days consists of assigning "points" to food and then staying within your assigned "points" range for a given day. Exercise gives you extra points you can eat. So it's no problem eating the same things you're making for your dd (or vice versa); portion control is the key. There are no forbidden foods. You get to choose what to eat.

You can join WW online and I think they send you the materials, or you can look on ebay - people sell their WW materials all the time and you can probably pick them up more cheaply than actually joining.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#4 of 5 Old 12-28-2003, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is no reason your dd needs to eat differently than you. Now is the time for her to start eating nutritiously, exersizing and mindng her portions (although most young children do this last one automatically). This will give her a life time of health and hopefully she will never have to ask where the nearest weigh watchers group meets. If only all of our parents taught us these skills when we were little and would so readily accept them.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#5 of 5 Old 12-28-2003, 06:10 PM

I agree with lilyka.

We have never made a separate meal for DD. She eats whatever we eat.

I successfully lost 15 lbs this past spring by eating the same stuff i always do, but cutting my portion sizes in half. i promised myself seconds if i still felt hungry...30 minutes later. i found that after the 30 minutes, my brain got the message that my tummy was full.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page