So I decided to get a therapist... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-21-2009, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
but I'm really nervous about it. Mainly I'm wondering what they will tell my insurance company... do they disclose any information about what I discuss? Or just bill them for my appointment? This is very important because if the therapist sends some sort of report about the specifics (or even the not so specific details) of what I tell him, it could affect my insurance, which I can't afford to lose right now.

I'm also nervous about confidentiality in general... I know everything is supposed to be confidential, but I'm not so sure. A co-worker told me that she told her therapist sometimes she just feels like running away and not being a mom anymore, and her therapist called CPS on her!! CPS found no real reason to take her child, but she is still under scrutiny to this day. I don't know if she left something out, but that sort of thing scares me.

ETA:
This is the first time I have ever sought therapy and I don't really know what to expect... I don't know what to say; how to start off. Will he ask me questions? How does it go?
#2 of 5 Old 08-21-2009, 04:01 PM

Generally, your insurance will just see a bill. There's not even really any breakdown in codes - it's all just therapy.

Confidentiality can be an issue sometimes. It's not supposed to be, there are rules and regulations, but that doesn't always work in theory. As someone whose complete confidentiality was betrayed by my former (and much loved) therapist (she handed over my entire file, complete with her notes to a court-ordered forensic psychologist despite having assured me she would never do such a thing) I would still go to a therapist if I felt I needed to. The support and healing I received with her far outweighs any of the downfall of having my life spread out there in public (and believe you me, it isn't pretty, child molestation, rape, abuse my by ex - it's all out there).

I wish you well on your journey and if you can let your guard down a bit and trust the process, oftentimes people find great growth and healing.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#3 of 5 Old 08-21-2009, 06:01 PM

I've had therapy before, and the therapists have always gone over their confidentiality policy with me before we get started. Anything you say to them is considered confidential unless you or your child are in danger. Maybe you could ask them about that before you get started if they don't bring it up?

I wouldn't worry about what happened to your friend. Maybe she did have other signs that lead the therapist to call CPS. Feeling like running away is probably a normal feeling to have sometimes, I know I've felt like that at some point.

I usually feel weird for my first counselling session, but IME, the therapist will lead you with questions if you're not sure where to start.

Right now I'm seeing a PPD counsellor and I feel really comfortable with her, and the hour seems to go by very quickly.

My work just received a bill from the therapist, and no one knew I was even going. Hope that helps.

Carly BFing Mom to DS and loving wife to DH
#4 of 5 Old 08-21-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalisis View Post
Generally, your insurance will just see a bill. There's not even really any breakdown in codes - it's all just therapy.
My experience has been that the insurance co. requires at least a diagnosis (to justify treatment), and may require some minimal info on the progress of treatment. Definitely the therapist should be able to tell you what info s/he will have to provide to insurance.
#5 of 5 Old 08-21-2009, 10:38 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavery View Post
My experience has been that the insurance co. requires at least a diagnosis (to justify treatment), and may require some minimal info on the progress of treatment. Definitely the therapist should be able to tell you what info s/he will have to provide to insurance.
:

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page