I've become obsessed with food - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-20-2009, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Prior to having a baby, I was content eating pop tarts, frozen waffles, and lots of candy. I was happy when I made changes to eating healthier choices, like incorporating more veggies and fruit into my diet.

Recently I started eating whole foods, and am trying not eating anything out of a package. But I'm finding it very challenging!

I also try to buy organic now, and feel bad if I don't and sometimes don't use what I bought because it isn't organic (like the 3 pack of whole chickens in my freezer). I feel like it's poison...yet I eat the non-organic chicken breasts. I cannot afford organic meat, so I don't buy it and we don't eat meat often.

Then I was reading about all these different food styles, like traditional foods, vegan, vegetarian, and raw food. I am so confused now! I feel like I don't want to eat anything.

I know this sounds a bit crazy, but it's really starting to effect my life. I only make certain foods, and am worried about what we're eating all the time. There is so much conflicting information out there, I don't know what to do, so I do nothing.

Does this sound like something I need to see someone about? I feel really embarrassed, but I don't want to be afraid or feel guilty about what I'm eating.

Carly BFing Mom to DS and loving wife to DH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-20-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHoney View Post
Then I was reading about all these different food styles, like traditional foods, vegan, vegetarian, and raw food. I am so confused now! I feel like I don't want to eat anything.

There is so much conflicting information out there, I don't know what to do, so I do nothing.
Oh my goodness, tell me about it!! Last year I went NUTS obsessing about food and reading and trying to be perfect and not knowing what the heck I was doing and AHHHHHH!!!!

It got to the point where I was so overwhelmed that we stopped eating healthy or even trying to eat healthy. I have decided to take one step at a time and to not follow any one certain way. I'm not going to go crazy eating only organic if it doesn't matter to me (some fruits do matter, like I'm not allergic to organic apples but I am to regular apples.) I'm not going to eat fermented veggies because really? The thought makes me gag. I realize there's a bunch of healthy things I might be missing out on, but as long as my family and I are happy and healthy and our tummies are full, then I'm okay.

Now tell this to DS who only wants to eat french fries and cookies I never should have introduced him to those...

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#3 of 6 Old 10-20-2009, 01:21 AM

Any overwhelming anxiety is worth seeing someone about, I'd say.
#4 of 6 Old 10-20-2009, 10:59 AM

I'm considering going back to my therapist who I haven't talked to in over a year b/c I obsess over what's healthy, what's not, which totally throws a kink in trying to plan meals for my family, going out, etc.
Any and all problems begin in your head.
#5 of 6 Old 10-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Bea

Sound Familiar?

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."
#6 of 6 Old 10-20-2009, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm so happy to know I'm not alone. I'm kinda all or nothing about food, so I need to put my thoughts in proper perspective.

Krisis - It sounds like you and your family are happy and healthy, which is where I want to be.

Bea - That is a very interesting link...I'll have to look into that more because it sounds like it really fits. I was even seeing a dietician but I didn't think her advice on what to eat was ok...which is horrible because she's way more knowledgeable than I am!!!

I developed hyperthyroid postpartum, so I was watching what I was eating, and then I started getting vitiligo so I'm nervous to eat lots of things in case it makes it worse. However, there is no proof that it will or won't make it worse, so I should just eat more!

Carly BFing Mom to DS and loving wife to DH

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page