Beginner Runner - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 89 Old 02-18-2004, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I've cut out all starches and sugar from my diet. Three wks now, and the other day, I'm on my usual hike with my dogs, and realized, I've got SO much energy...and started running...I ran on/off for the duration.
I've been doing this since, and am really enjoying running, and wonder, is this something new for me? Will this be part of the new me?
Are there any seasoned runners out there who have any advice for me? I'm running in the trails...right now, they are snow covered..a friend of mine is concerned that I may twist my ankle or something..but I have two big dogs, and therefore, would like to stick to the woods...

TIA,

Mamasoleil/samson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 89 Old 02-18-2004, 01:38 PM

I think that this is great- for you to take up running. I keep thinking to myself that I would like to start running- I have never been a runner- but think if I could actually train and do it- I would feel so proud. Good for you. No advice- I guess there is always risk no matter where you are. Maybe if you would feel safer go at off times someone not in the woods.
#3 of 89 Old 02-18-2004, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hiya! I love that "gee, I've got ENERGY! I want to RUN!" feeling.

Things that come to mind:

Warm up
Stretch after warming up
Don't push yourself too hard
Stretch when you're done
Make sure you have good shoes
Walk down hill, particularly if you're worried about knees and ankles.

If you suddenly find yourself with unexplained sore joints, check your shoes for wear.

The "Don't push yourself too hard" comment comes from this reasoning: if you push yourself too hard, you'll be so tired and sore that you'll skip the next run, take the elevator instead of the stairs, and end up worse than you started. My goal is to love running. It took me several years after leaving high school to realize that the "never plateau" rule of running was for training for races, not getting outside and getting some excersize every day.

Good for you! Keep it up!
#4 of 89 Old 02-18-2004, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Geofizz!!!

Will keep that in mind! My goal is to enjoy it too..the dogs sure do!
#5 of 89 Old 02-18-2004, 04:04 PM

Trail running is really great for your legs, since you're strengthening your tendons and ligaments as well as the usual running muscles. I used to do it a lot and I miss it now that I'm back in NYC. It is easier to twist an ankle or something, so be sure you're wearing shoes made for trail running and learn how to focus both ahead of you and close underfoot. I never got injured in four years of doing it although I came close once. The scariest thing is wet areas that are on an angle--sometimes it can be hard to spot them.

I love Runner's World for tips on training and staying injury-free.

Enjoy!

Beth, Mom to Benji and Maggie
#6 of 89 Old 02-18-2004, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Beth!! I especially like the part about it being great for the legs
I'm starting out with my Filo Cross-trainers...cause I don't know much about buying the right 'shoe' yet...So, I'm going to use the ones I have for a while, then bring them in, and assess what kind of shoe I need...does that make sense????
TIA,

Mamasoleil/samson
#7 of 89 Old 02-18-2004, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Beth, thank you so much for sending me to Runners' World...loving it!!!!
#8 of 89 Old 02-18-2004, 08:58 PM

Benjismom is right about trail shoes! You definitely need to invest in some good trail shoes to run safely on the trails. You do risk knee and ankle injury if you are wearing shoes that are not made specifically for trail running. When I coached cross country I used to purchase my trailrunners from Road Runner Sports. They have knowledgeable people to talk to so that you can asses what shoe is right for you. Return policy is good, too.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-...rrs/rrHome.jsp
#9 of 89 Old 02-18-2004, 11:07 PM

nak
T How did you cut sugar/starch out of your diet? I'm a vegetarian, but really a carbohydratarian! My every meal is filled with starch and snacks are either junk food or "healthy" food like VERY sugary yogurt. I'm so lacking energy, and I think it's 'cause my blood sugar is crazeeee. HELP!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#10 of 89 Old 02-19-2004, 11:46 AM

Trailrunners:

Can someone tell me what's different in the construction of a trailrunner shoe and a normal running shoe? When the ground is dry, I run from home to a park, run those dirt trails, then return on the road.

I'm not going to change my shoes mid-run.

I'm also always pushing a jogging stroller, so I do tend to be a bit surprised by pits and rocks.

Starch/sugar:

I find the biggest effect on me is removing the refined starches and sugars from my diet. I replace white flour with whole wheat, white rice replaced by brown, and I cut waaaaay back on eating sugary foods. I find that after a while, the super sweet stuff just doesn't look good. If I'm good about it for 2-3 weeks, my body gets used to it and I stop enjoying the sugar. Of course, it always creaps back on me, and I have to make the concerted effort to watch what I eat again.
#11 of 89 Old 02-19-2004, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, so I did my first official run today...I ran for 4 mins, walked for 2 mins, five times...it was a little tough, my legs were really feeling it in the last set, but I feel so proud and good now!!!
As for running shoes, I have a pair of fila running shoes, that I'm using for now, when I've done a few wks of running, I will go to a running shoe store about 2 hrs south of here, where they will look at my shoes, my walk, and assess my needs.

As for the carbs. No pasta, no potatoes, no sugar...no bread, though I'm eating low carb bread for now...I'm not veg though, so I'm eating proteing via meats at dinner, breakfast I have eggs, lunch salad with lots of veggies and chicken or ham...then dinner, a meat meal with salad and steamed greens...for snacks cucumer, celery, pickles, olives cheese, carrots, nuts...

And, since starting, I have SO much more energy. And I've lost 10 lbs since starting, on January 26th!!!!

Mamasoleil/samson
#12 of 89 Old 02-20-2004, 12:04 AM
Banned

Geo - you can stay with the trail runner throughout the duration - they have lightweight ones... if you are running terrain at all you take the trail runner and make it work on asphalt - it's fine. I raced cross terrian 10ks and 1/2 marathons - this is what we did.

To the carbohydratarian - I hear you - I'm veg - but I eat to many carbs.

However - if you would like some training - even if you don't have to lose weight - get a weight watchers book if you can. You'll start eating non fat yogurt and egg whites an low fat soy protein - which is great - and you will start eating A LOT more fresh veggies.

Also look at things like hummus, fresh grean beans - black beans - great sources of protein wihtout being a pasta addict - which I am!

Also - running with the dogs is the greatest joy. I wish I could do it every day - I wish they didn't have to be on leash!!!

I wish! Enjoy it !!!
#13 of 89 Old 02-20-2004, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Also - running with the dogs is the greatest joy. I wish I could do it every day - I wish they didn't have to be on leash
Luckily where I am, they don't have to be on a leash!!! They are loving it!!!
#14 of 89 Old 02-20-2004, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mamasoleil
[B]Okay, so I did my first official run today...I ran for 4 mins, walked for 2 mins, five times.
Wow! Good job, you! That's running for 4x5 minutes = 20 minutes! Great job. Even if you run as slow as I do, that's likely at least 2 miles.

Congratulations!

Going running tomorrow... You've inspired me. No trail, though -- it's still going to be under snow and mud.
#15 of 89 Old 02-20-2004, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No trail, though -- it's still going to be under snow and mud.
I'm in Northern Ontario, in Canada, where we HAVE LOTS OF SNOW!!!! Luckily, it's well packed on the trail...didn't go today though, major snowstorm...I did however, walk for 40 mins with the stroller....

REally eh? Two miles...wow....no wonder my legs are killing me!!!
#16 of 89 Old 02-21-2004, 01:44 AM

You guys are awesome!! Geofizz where in Mi are you from? We moved from SE michigan last April and are trying to move back. I live in NE Tn now and am not to crazy about it. I love the area nature wise, but people wise and things to do it lacks. Plus the area of schooling I want isn't offered here
#17 of 89 Old 02-21-2004, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

I'm just looking at my running program, and I read it wrong...I'm supposed to run for 2 mins, walk for 4 mins five times...I thought it was the other way around!!!! ANd I did it!!!
Well, I think I'll keep with the run for 4 walk for 2...unless someone feels it's not a good idea???
LMK,

thx,

#18 of 89 Old 02-21-2004, 02:28 AM

I would think it would be ok as long as your body wasn't telling you different !! Thats great !
#19 of 89 Old 02-21-2004, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

I felt great!!!! Will go again tomorrow...what time zone are you in? For chat, and what is the best time for you?
#20 of 89 Old 02-21-2004, 10:13 AM

Hvl25 -- I'm in NW Ann Arbor. I run in Bird Hills Park by the river.

It's currently blowing pretty hard and it snowed last night a bit. I'll wait until it climbs above freezing to let the streets melt before going out running. Maybe mid-afternoon.

When I started last spring I was walking 10, doing 10 sets of run 1 minute, walking 4, then walking 10. By December, I was up to the same pattern with the running and walking times reversed. Then it got really cold, none of the streets were clear of snow for weeks, and I got out of the habit. The weather warmed up this week, lots of snow melted, and I'm anxious to go. I think I'm going to have to start easy....
#21 of 89 Old 02-21-2004, 12:49 PM

Geo- I looove Ann Arbor. I grew up in Detroit/Lincoln Park(dad was a Detroit cop). We moved from Marine City, which is in St Clair County by the St Clair River. We were 2 blocks from it. My DH just told a recruiter the other day to look from Ann Arbor, east ! I live not too far from the Appalacian Trail but am too chicken to go out there myself, especially with the snake/bear factor, that freaks me out!

Mamasoleil- I live in the Eastern Time Zone. Pretty much anytime is good for me, I stay home with the kiddos , it all depends on their mood though! Maybe nights would be better? I at least have hubby here then !

I might have to try that run /walk combo to get back into it. I haven't ran since I was in the military which was almost 10 years ago.

Btw, this is my 1000th post :LOL I was trying to figure out where I wanted it to go and figured I would share with you !!!
#22 of 89 Old 02-22-2004, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

HEy!!!Congrats on your 1000th post!!!

Geofizz, how was your run?
We got 30 cm's of snow yesterday, so I went snowshoeing intstead of running. I had ds on my back, and dh was pulling dd in the sled...we both got a REALLY good INTENSE workout!!!!

My legs are SO sore!!!! :LOL
#23 of 89 Old 02-22-2004, 11:11 AM

Errr. I didn't go out. Sorry. Sorry to my behind and midsection, too.

DD ended up falling asleep in the car when we were out doing errands, and then wasn't in the mood to get into the jogging stroller, since stroller = nap to her.

I did my hamster imitation in the basement last night for 40 minutes.

It's supposed to be warm (well, above freezing) today, and DD is itching to go out. I'll make it a noon-ish run. I promise to report back.

Congrats on the 1000th post hvl25. Thanks for sharing.
#24 of 89 Old 02-22-2004, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Geofizz....

LMK how you do today!!! I think today will be another snowshoeing day for us, since we still have all that snow, and the trail isn't packed down enough for me to run!!!

I'll be back this evening, have a great active day!!!!
#25 of 89 Old 02-22-2004, 01:37 PM

I went for

10 min walk
7x2.5 min run; 2.5 min walk
5 min walk

So, I got a total of 50 minutes of aerobic excersize, 17.5 min running. I only slipped twice.

Yeah me!

Off to down more water.
#26 of 89 Old 02-22-2004, 06:05 PM

Ahhh, this thread brings back memories.

I was a runner for a while. Be careful with the walk/run timing mamasoleil. When I first started I did too much running and not enough walk breaks. It actually took about 2 months before I started having severe knee pain. Turned out I had weak ligaments or something in my knee. The sports doc gave me a running schedule where I had to start with 1 minute running/4 minutes walking, repeat four times. Each week I added 30 seconds to the running and subtracted that from the walking. It took eight weeks to be running full - then I started my own thing of running for 10 minutes and walking for 1. It was frustrating to go so slow those first few weeks - I felt like my body could do more running. But I never had knee troubles. If I took too long a break from running and went back into it, the knee would flare up again if I pushed myself too fast.

Anyways, I loved running. I eventually gave it up when I found I was just unable to get run time the minimum of three or four days a week I needed to stay at the same fitness level. When I was fit, I loved running, but if I didn't run enough, it was really rough.

I doubt I'll run again, but I enjoyed those few years of doing it.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#27 of 89 Old 02-22-2004, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up Piglet!!! I did cut it down to run 2 mins and walk 4 mins!!!! Felt better!

Geo~Yay!!!! We had very similar work outs today! I'm so proud of us!!!!!

Will you be going tomorrow?????

I'll check in with you!!!!

#28 of 89 Old 02-22-2004, 11:21 PM

Piglet -- I had a similar experience when I was in college. I ended up with such a painful back that I couldn't sit in a chair. The sports doc had me bring in my shoes... Ummm I left the office with instructions to get new shoes.

I don't think I can go out again tomorrow. I probably won't manage a mid-week run until day lights savings time, since I get home ~5:30 each day.

It's ok -- I bike to work, so I get 40 minutes of excersize already that way. I'll often "hamster" (my term for doing excersize videos) a few times a week.
#29 of 89 Old 02-23-2004, 04:23 AM

Wow, this is helpful to me. I'm glad I found this thread. Keep the good ideas coming for beginning runners. I had no idea that you started out alternating the run/walk!!!!!
#30 of 89 Old 02-23-2004, 07:27 AM

I walked yesterday for probably about a half hour. I took the kids and had Bella in the jogging stroller. I live in an area with a ton of steep hills and by the end of the walk I was dying. PUshing her up those hills was enough Sounds sad, but if you saw the hills you would understand: maybe I think I am going to try and walk that route every night to build myself up. I am not sure about the running the trails thing, it sounded good until my husband came home yesterday morning from taking the dog for a walk on them and said the dog got bit by a snake,non poisonous, but it was still there. I have seen a couple when we go out and walk over there in the less than a year I have been here. So I am kind of freaked right now. I may jsut stick with the walking for now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page