Baby steps for a better life.. - Page 28 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#811 of 822 Old 02-04-2011, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I believe it. Soda is so bad for you, and your teeth. I've been getting healthier myself. I am eating more veggies and protein and less carbs, but still getting a lot of fiber. My doctor put me on Metformin for elevated blood sugar levels and Lisinopril for high blood pressure two months ago. I also started exercising EActive 2 on my PS3 sporadically. I've lost 24 pounds with the change of diet, addition of some exercise, and the metformin making my body utilize rather than store my blood sugars.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#812 of 822 Old 02-04-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple*Lotus View Post

I am in a mood.  irked.gif  Major brownie points to anyone who reads this and replies.

So I can't stand my therapist.  I had to find a new therapist because my old one was not covered by my insurance anymore and I couldn't afford the $80 a week to go.  At first I liked new therapist.  Now I don't.

She makes me feel worse about myself than I already do, which is a trick, I have to tell you.  I feel like I have to censor what I say to her or else I will feel ilke a loser.

I used to go to the gym zero times a week.  Then I started going two to three times a week.  This was not good enough for her.  She said that unless I was going FIVE times a week, it didn't count.  eyesroll.gif

Let's take in to consideration that:

1.  I have back pain so severe that it literally takes my BREATH away and that I will cry and beg for God to just take me, because dying has to be better than that horrific pain.  I go to the chiropractor THREE times a week for this.  That is $90 a week, $360 a MONTH, just to control my agonizing back pain. 

2.  I have a knee injury from an accident I had 11 years ago that occasionally has me limping around all day in pain- about one to two days a week.

3.  Did I mention that I used to go to the gym ZERO times a week?  So isn't two or three times a week better than ZERO times a week?

You don't have to justify not liking the therapist, but YES - two or three times a week is better than zero times a week. It's awesome! I'm very impressed. I haven't checked back into this thread in a long time, and it sounds as if you're doing amazingly well at everything. I read ahead and I'm glad you ditched this therapist.

And tonight I was talking to someone who is supposed to be my friend, sharing one of the pleasant memories I have of my ex husband- yes I know he was horrible, but there are a few nice things he did for me in the nine years.  I mentioned how he had taken a class in silk flower making once in high school, and he had made me one dozen silk roses for Valentine's Day one year.  Said friend started making comments about how that was a feminine thing to do and men shouldn't make silk flowers, etc, etc, etc.  eyesroll.gif  I do not ever speak badly about my ex husband to people, even though no one would blame me if I did.  But I did pick him to spend my life with, so someone suggesting that he might be gay or that there is something wrong with him because he learned how to make silk flowers *Seriously???  A lot of men are florists, good grief!!!* is not a way to get on my good side.  They basically trashed one of the pleasant memories that I had.  I will be more careful of what I share in the future.

Hmph - don't let them trash it. It's your memory, and you have every right to enjoy your few good memories of living with your ex. Personally, I think that's an awesome thing to do. I'd love to get something that cool. To me, that's just a reminder that even the worst people have some redeeming qualities.

Hang in there!

Oh - and congrats on the soda thing. I never had a big habit (would have it at a restaurant or if we happened to have some in the house, which rarely happened), but I've stopped drinking it completely. The last time I tried some, it really didn't taste very good.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#813 of 822 Old 02-04-2011, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Congrats on the weight loss... Im sure there are some male therapists on the new plan... keep looking!

Quote:

The most helpful therapist I has was a male, I wish he was covered by my new plan!

I have an ear infection so i went to the doctor to get it checked.  I have lost TWELVE POUNDS during the time I have been soda free.  faint.gifI have been eating and exercising the exact same, so that 12 pounds was all the lack of soda calories.  I was stunned. 

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#814 of 822 Old 02-06-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I am fat.  Yes, I know that I am fat. 

I find it funny when people use my weight as a way to insult me.  "You are fat!  You need to lose weight! Join a gym!"

I already know I am fat.  I already know that I need to lose weight.  I joined a gym a long time ago, thanks.  eyesroll.gif

I don't understand the point of people saying things like that.  Is it to make me feel bad?  Why?  What does it do for you to make me feel bad?  I think the main problem is that I usually DON'T feel bad.  lol.gif

I just don't get how pointing out the obvious changes anything?  It is like me getting upset with someone and saying, "You have brown hair!"  Um, yeah?  What is your point?

So today someone told me I was fat.  Really?  How did you ever guess?  orngtongue.gif  I am still funny, probably way smarter than the person who said that, adorable, sexy *according to my current flirt interest*, an awesome teacher and a great person overall.

What does weight have to do with anything? 

~PurityLake~ likes this.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#815 of 822 Old 02-06-2011, 09:19 PM

Honey, it's not you. People say things like that to make themselves feel better about themselves. Totally messed up, but true.

And it is a hollow victory because they go back to feeling empty and like they need to put down others more and more often to make themselves feel better. Sorry someone is using you for that. Just know that they are unhappy.

And while that doesn't really make it sting any less sometimes, know that you make yourself feel empowered by doing what you wrote about yourself instead of putting down others: 

"I am still funny, probably way smarter than the person who said that, adorable, sexy *according to my current flirt interest*, an awesome teacher and a great person overall."

True. And you are kind. And isn't that a better way to feel good about yourself?

Anyway, I have been around people like that and I try to do the above. hug2.gif

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#816 of 822 Old 02-20-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

I am in sort of a bad place right now.  I am in a cycle of eating too much again because I think that if I am heavy, it will make men not like me.  Almost like I can't handle the thought of a man being attracted to me.  Does that make any sense to anyone?  I feel like I want to somehow guarentee that I will be alone again.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#817 of 822 Old 02-20-2011, 10:35 AM

That makes sense - its like a self defense mechanism from keeping yourself from getting hurt again.  *hugs*  Are you still journaling? Is there a way for you to note the behavior when it happens and in a sense recognize it, acknowledge it and do something else?  

My therapist made me develop a plan when I was battling bulimia which was like that, and I have to admit it helped to minimize my eating episodes and then work back to the triggers and deal with those. 

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#818 of 822 Old 03-02-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:

The most helpful therapist I has was a male, I wish he was covered by my new plan!

I have an ear infection so i went to the doctor to get it checked.  I have lost TWELVE POUNDS during the time I have been soda free.  faint.gifI have been eating and exercising the exact same, so that 12 pounds was all the lack of soda calories.  I was stunned. 

Holy cow! That's awesome for you! I've been trying to talk myself into stopping drinking soft drinks, and that's real motivation!

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#819 of 822 Old 03-02-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:

I am in sort of a bad place right now.  I am in a cycle of eating too much again because I think that if I am heavy, it will make men not like me.  Almost like I can't handle the thought of a man being attracted to me.  Does that make any sense to anyone?  I feel like I want to somehow guarentee that I will be alone again.

hug.gif Your strength shines through in the vulnerability you allow us to see in this thread. 

Don't know if this will help you but these principles really helped me.

http://www.celebraterecovery.ca/cr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=60

#820 of 822 Old 03-07-2011, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:

I get it.  I totally get it.  And something I am needing to learn right now, and maybe you, too?, is that *I* get to set the boundaries with other people (especially men, but also women), and *I* am capable of doing this.  I am capable of recognizing when I need to put distance between myself and someone else to stay healthy, even on a small scale in everyday relationships.  I get to decide if I want to be a happy single person and I get to decide who gets close to me and how close.  I have the tools in me to communicate and enforce a healthy, comfortable distance with everyone I meet.  I think it takes some practice but I won't need to pre-empt interactions with my body or my clothing or my hygiene or anything else...I can actually handle things on an individual basis.  In theory.  With practice.  And patience. 

I'm navigating divorce right now and contemplating being "100% my own person" for the first time ever - I never could think of myself that way when I was married, and I have been married since very young.  It is quite a change.  I have certainly fantasized about wearing the t-shirt that says "go away, I don't want to think about men ever again" (for example) or the one that says "I'm totally too complicated for you" or "If you're interested, I'll consider offers in about 20 years."  I'm afraid of letting someone down, afraid I will disappoint them - but you know, I'm not responsible for their feelings, only for mine.  I'm afraid I will be misunderstood as being interested when I am not, but really I am capable of saying, "I'm sorry, I'm not up for [insert shade of relationship here]."  I am afraid that being attractive will mean I'm necessarily attracting and basically baiting someone, but it's not about being attractive for other people, it's about feeling good for ME, and if I live to please myself and it ends up attracting someone, that's their problem, not mine.  I'm totally not capable of committing in a healthy way to anyone but myself and my kids, and that is a firm bottom line, so anyone who is hoping otherwise will just have to suck it up and deal.

And it well might take me 20 years.  And that's okay.

Of course, that was all about me.  But your post made me think you might be in some kind of similar place.

- single homeschooling mom to 16, 14, almost-12, and 10
#821 of 822 Old 04-03-2011, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

I went to the doctor for a full work up with blood tests.  I am pre diabetic.  I do not want to be diabetic.  I hope this is my wake up call.  A friend gave me their blood sugar monitor and I have been testing after eating to see what meals make it spike and what doesn't.  No surprise that when I eat a lot of carbs, it goes way up.  So I am starting there with eliminating the white flours from my diet.  I just wanted to update everyone.

#822 of 822 Old 04-08-2011, 08:42 AM

Bravo for you in taking that step!  I know there are a lot of threads in health & healing for primal or paleo or grain-free eating.

I have never felt better than when eating a limited amount of carbs - like for 1 meal (and a small portion).  Fats & protiens along with veggies are what keep my body in a happy place.

How are you doing with everything? I hope that your chickens are keeping you busy and life is treating you will love and joy! 

Did you do another Treasure Map this year?

*hugs*

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page