Baby steps for a better life.. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 822 Old 01-02-2010, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You are always so supportive of everyone here and I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of folks who know you can do this. I've never seen you, obviously, but your beauty shows through in all your posts.

I like your blog too. I am sending out love and positive energy to you.
Keep your chin up- you are strong and capable and funny and amazing!

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#62 of 822 Old 01-02-2010, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you mouso

I posted my pics and stats on my blog tonight if anyone is interested

I have decided to take over dinner cooking on the weekends I would take it over all week, but my parents prefer to eat dinner at like, 4 PM and I don't get home from work until 6 But at least I can add in some healthy foods for the family on the weekends

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#63 of 822 Old 01-02-2010, 03:44 AM

I just realized something about all this--you never had kids with that UAV. Meaning you don't have custody issues, you don't have to worry about your precious LOs spending any time with him ever, and you're totally and completely free to find someone who is a decent person and who will treat you as the decent person you are.

Lucky!!
#64 of 822 Old 01-02-2010, 12:42 PM

You are pretty. I'm following your blog now too and keeping you in my thoughts as you start this amazing and renewing journey!

You mentioned a goal of becoming vegan and I thought you might be interested in Dr. Furhman's books 'Eat to Live' and 'Eat for Health'.
His website is also full of great information and some of the success stories might be inspiring to you. I hope you don't mind me posting this.
www.drfurhman.com

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#65 of 822 Old 01-02-2010, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I just realized something about all this--you never had kids with that UAV. Meaning you don't have custody issues, you don't have to worry about your precious LOs spending any time with him ever, and you're totally and completely free to find someone who is a decent person and who will treat you as the decent person you are.

Lucky!!
Yep I used to cry when the tests were always negative but now I realize that it was actually a gift!

I will have my LOs with someone who shares my ideals and repects and loves me instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderMae View Post
You are pretty. I'm following your blog now too and keeping you in my thoughts as you start this amazing and renewing journey!

You mentioned a goal of becoming vegan and I thought you might be interested in Dr. Furhman's books 'Eat to Live' and 'Eat for Health'.
His website is also full of great information and some of the success stories might be inspiring to you. I hope you don't mind me posting this.
www.drfurhman.com
Thank you and thanks for the link

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#66 of 822 Old 01-02-2010, 06:54 PM

I know how regrets can come nagging their way in even when you know 100% you've done the right thing, so I want you to promise me that anytime you think "maybe I shouldn't have left him" you'll tell yourself "yeah, right" and do some form of exercise that moves you towards a goal. (e.g. do a wall push-up to build arm strength).
#67 of 822 Old 01-02-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderMae View Post
You are pretty.
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking!
#68 of 822 Old 01-03-2010, 02:06 AM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
this book looks good:

http://www.powells.com/biblio/9780373892075

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#69 of 822 Old 01-04-2010, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Okay so I cooked dinner this weekend for the Fam. My Dad seemed to enjoy both meals, but my Mom hated them both She wouldn't even eat my spaghetti sauce because it had *teeny tiny blended up* vegetables in it. But at least I tried! I need to start lurking in the parenting section to see how you Mamas hide the veggies from your LOs

#70 of 822 Old 01-04-2010, 12:57 AM

That sauce sounds good!

#71 of 822 Old 01-04-2010, 01:08 AM

Bunnyflakes, you are a stronger woman than you know. Thank you for sharing such a personal issue.

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

#72 of 822 Old 01-04-2010, 02:57 AM

You are inspiring and courageous for sharing this!
#73 of 822 Old 01-05-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyflakes View Post
Okay so I cooked dinner this weekend for the Fam. My Dad seemed to enjoy both meals, but my Mom hated them both She wouldn't even eat my spaghetti sauce because it had *teeny tiny blended up* vegetables in it. But at least I tried! I need to start lurking in the parenting section to see how you Mamas hide the veggies from your LOs
As an adult, your mom can make her own suppers. If she won't eat teeny tiny blended vegetables, you aren't going to be able to hide veggies from her.
#74 of 822 Old 01-05-2010, 03:19 PM

I want to add to the chorus of those who are inspired when they seem someone large exercising. My first thought is, "You go girl!" and my second thought is, "I should be out there too."

Your story has reinvigorated my efforts to get fit & eat more healthfully that I started in Thanksgiving...

#75 of 822 Old 01-06-2010, 11:10 AM

I just wanted to leap in to cheer you on a bit. It sounds like you've already accomplished so much by leaving your husband, and now it's time to bring it full circle. I wish you all the best of luck!!

My baby is 2 years old! How did that happen?!
#76 of 822 Old 01-08-2010, 08:12 PM

You kick some butt, girl. It doesn't matter what size we all are...we all have insecurities. You have to love YOU for being YOU....then you will take care of yourself. The weight loss will only be an added benefit.

praying.gif Angela married to DHsuperhero.gif......DDguitar.gif age 7 , DDblowkiss.gif age 5 ,  DSsleepytime.gif age 4 and sadly 2 angel.gif  in heaven, Catholic and ribbonwhite.gif with a dash of crunch: hang.gif    chicken3.gif  homeschool.gif

#77 of 822 Old 01-14-2010, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

I tagged along with my Mom today when she went to our family doctor and I found out a couple of awesome things.

1. I can stop by on the way to work next week to get a full blood work up done

2. They have evenings hours every other Thursday night so I can stop there and weigh on their scale that I prefer because it is digital so there is less of a chance that I will mess it up, plus they have my chart right there to record my loss.

3. I have lost 16 pounds since I have been there last

I was weighing in at 462 on their scale tonight, down from 478.

#78 of 822 Old 01-14-2010, 10:15 PM

That is GREAT!
Don't give up!

#79 of 822 Old 01-14-2010, 10:44 PM

That's great! Yay for good news!
#80 of 822 Old 01-15-2010, 01:30 AM

I wanted to say that I really enjoy reading your blog! For some reason, blogspot never lets me comment. I have to figure that one out because I follow a few blogspot blogs... it's obviously something wrong with my browser or something. But I wanted to say that your blog is a great read. Also, I'm sorry about the lawyer situation :/

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#81 of 822 Old 01-15-2010, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What a wonderful update! Good for you!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#82 of 822 Old 01-15-2010, 12:30 PM

I see a guy walking or riding a bike around my suburban town (which is not walking/bike friendly). He was seriously overweight when we first moved here, I would say morbidly obese. We would see him walking EVERYWHERE - miles and miles. Walking to work, riding a bike to the store, anywhere and everywhere. He would be out there in every weather, rain, snow, super heat...everything. I really admire him. Actually, in some weird way I feel like I know him and always smile when I see him.

I've never spoken to him in person (though I often have wanted to offer a ride in bad weather - but he could be a serial killer for all I know and there is no way I am offering a ride to a strange man with DS in the car.)

Anyway, all I am trying to say is that for every ignorant, gross bully who says something mean to you....I bet there are 3 people who see you and really admire you and what you are doing.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#83 of 822 Old 01-15-2010, 02:44 PM

Good for you!

My mother lost about 100 lbs in about 1 year when I was a teenager. I was so inspired by her. She totally changed her lifestyle, her priorities and the way our whole family ate. I know that today I make much better choices because of her example.

You are teaching your child and the kids you work with by your example. Keep it up!

I also want to mention, when my mom first started losing weight she attended a class called Weight Management and was told that at her weight, it was recommended to do a shake diet. That being so overweight was a greater health risk than the shake diet. And then after she was to a lower weight, they would work with her on establishing healthy daily eating habits, hopefully to last for life. My mother didn't do it because she was nursing a baby BUT you might consider something like that.

Also, you might check out www.oa.org to see about getting some local support for yourself. Especially if overeating is an emotional thing for you.
#84 of 822 Old 01-15-2010, 09:00 PM

Good for you.
#85 of 822 Old 01-16-2010, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Mom3 View Post
Good for you!

My mother lost about 100 lbs in about 1 year when I was a teenager. I was so inspired by her. She totally changed her lifestyle, her priorities and the way our whole family ate. I know that today I make much better choices because of her example.

You are teaching your child and the kids you work with by your example. Keep it up!

I also want to mention, when my mom first started losing weight she attended a class called Weight Management and was told that at her weight, it was recommended to do a shake diet. That being so overweight was a greater health risk than the shake diet. And then after she was to a lower weight, they would work with her on establishing healthy daily eating habits, hopefully to last for life. My mother didn't do it because she was nursing a baby BUT you might consider something like that.

Also, you might check out www.oa.org to see about getting some local support for yourself. Especially if overeating is an emotional thing for you.
Do you mean like a slim fast kind of thing? I am trying to figure out if I should know what a shake diet is, because I thought I had heard of them all

I used to be active in OA but the group fell apart. It was hard in a smallish area, no one ever came. Both local meetings dissolved.

#86 of 822 Old 01-16-2010, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyflakes View Post
Thanks everyone

Do you mean like a slim fast kind of thing? I am trying to figure out if I should know what a shake diet is, because I thought I had heard of them all

I used to be active in OA but the group fell apart. It was hard in a smallish area, no one ever came. Both local meetings dissolved.
Yeah, like slimfast. Maybe I made up the term "shake diet" without realizing it. I guess I thought maybe there are other brands besides slimfast?
#87 of 822 Old 01-16-2010, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Mom3 View Post
Yeah, like slimfast. Maybe I made up the term "shake diet" without realizing it. I guess I thought maybe there are other brands besides slimfast?
Oh I am sure there are. I was just trying to think if there was actually a marketed diet by that name

I will actually have a generic version of slim fast once in a while I can not stand the name brand, but the off brand is pretty good. It is quick and easy.

I should probably have a "plan" but when I do, I usually don't follow it anyhow

I think for me it is all about control. I can't control the kitchen here because it is at my house. When I lived with the asshat, I would have more cat food in the house than people food. So it was easy to control the food intake when I was home. I did most of my eating in the car, in secret.

It is hard for me to live here when there are probably maybe 5 cases of coke in the garage And I LOVE coke. But I could just drink a can of paint I think and it would be pretty close nutrition wise

My Dad finally ended his long term love affair with Little Debbie. Either that or he started hiding them from me- which is fine, really, I promote that!

You can read my latest blog entry to see what I am up against at work.

At home it is not much better. My Dad, for his love of sweets, is pretty good veggie wise. He makes an amazing salad and an even more amazing low fat homemade salad dressing I would post the recipe but he wont give it up But the basic meals here are meat, potatoes and bread.

I cook for myself- and for them but my Mom generally hates my food so I just don't want to bother making it for her, I mean, if you are just going to complain about it- but I really want to eat healthy meals with them. But I have to accept that that is not always going to be possible, and I have enough trouble keeping myself on track, let alone worrying about two other people.

My Mom is thin, always has been. She is a healthy weight and she exercises. But her cholesterol is through the roof. She does really well at breakfast and lunch with her eating, but dinner blows it for her. I think if she cut out all of the red meat she would have half the battle won right there.

But I feel like it is not my place to say anything to anyone about food. Although I feel that I have been to enough nutritionists in my life time to at least know what a reaonable plan is- even if there is no chance I will follow it.

If I get too hung up in the food, it screws me. I can not think about food all the time. I just can't. It fuels my obsession. I prefer to think about food as little as possible.

#88 of 822 Old 01-16-2010, 01:16 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
You deserve to be a healthy weight. Keep telling yourself that. It's called "fake it 'til you make it."

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#89 of 822 Old 01-17-2010, 02:20 AM

Bunnyflakes, you sound so happy in your posts! I hope, hope, hope this doesn't offend you (and I will edit my post if it does)...

I also gained quite a bit of weight during some hard times in my life. Instead of thinking of it as killing myself, i think of it ias doing what I needed to do to survive that period in my life. From reading your posts and your blog, I'm feel that is what you were doing as well. You were a survivor then, but now you are a fighter!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#90 of 822 Old 01-17-2010, 02:27 AM

Bunnyflakes, I'm sorry for the struggles you've been through but encouraged by your resolve. I just wanted to let you know that if I saw you out walking, I would think,"Good for her! I should do the same."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page