Good books for thinking positive? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-13-2010, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anybody have any recommendations? I'm in therapy and realizing how negative/pessimistic I am/have been my WHOLE life and am wanting to change that.

Wife to G, mommy to dd1 (99), dd2 (07), dd3 (09)
Three beautiful girls. How did I get so very lucky?:
#2 of 19 Old 01-13-2010, 04:20 PM

Mike Dooley's Notes from the Universe

Many more I cannot think of right now, but go to amazon.com and type in Positive Thinking.
#3 of 19 Old 01-14-2010, 06:10 AM

I found "Being Happy" by Andrew Matthews really good. Easy to read as well.

He also has a website that you should definitely check out: http://www.andrewmatthews.com/

The website has heaps of little tips that help alot. You can also get a free 7 day email thing that gives you one thing to work on a day.

I find him really great and motivating.

It's complicated.
#4 of 19 Old 01-14-2010, 12:05 PM

"Happiness is a Choice" by Barry Kaufman

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
#5 of 19 Old 01-14-2010, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DH has found a really helpful book to be "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life". It's by Dr. Amen (I forget his first name). It talks about automatic negative thoughts (ANTs) and how to get rid of them.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 4 wonderful kiddos . . . and now another on the way.
#6 of 19 Old 01-14-2010, 04:32 PM

#7 of 19 Old 01-18-2010, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I can definitely relate, I spent much of my life battling low grade depression, anger, and frustration.

This might be an odd suggestion, but I found Marshall Rosenberg's Nonviolent Communication changed my emotional states more fundamentally than anything else I've tried.

It didn't teach me how to be happy, but how to empathize with myself and others. NVC believes (as do I) that underlying negative states such as anger, jealousy, and cynicism are unmet needs. NVC gives practical tools for recognizing and empathizing with those needs. When needs are met, or at least acknowledged even if they cannot be met, positive emotions- joy, contentment, hope result.

Baby is waking up. Must go.

Mom to DD 7 and DS 5.
#8 of 19 Old 01-19-2010, 07:56 AM

Need to check these books out!!

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#9 of 19 Old 01-19-2010, 05:02 PM

the movie "what the bleep do we know" (along the "you can change your life if you can change your mind" idea...)

do a treasure map with tracy (i think she posts in PG as well as spirituality? here's the link to the prep thread in spirituality)

TUTs emails in your in box!
daily bits of positive thoughts!

there are a TON of things online... google "the law of attraction" and see what you find that floats your boat....
#10 of 19 Old 01-19-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pinks View Post
Does anybody have any recommendations? I'm in therapy and realizing how negative/pessimistic I am/have been my WHOLE life and am wanting to change that.
I am exactly the same way and have been wanting to change that.

But here's the thing- I don't believe just thinking positive is healthy anymore than constantly thinking negatively is. I don't like the whole "think happy thoughts and all will be well!" movement of late. It hurts more than heals, IMO.

That said I am so flipping negative it is harming me and those around me. I have to say that I am not very into "self help" books and all that but I have to admit that Byron Katie and her book "Loving What Is" is AMAZING! What I love about Katie is she isn't about just smiling and thinking about butterflies and puppies and saying that will cure what ails ya, rather she is all about self-reflection and exploration. You can check out "The Work" here.

Basically what I am trying to say is I am trying to approach this less about thinking positively or negatively and more about thinking realistically.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#11 of 19 Old 01-19-2010, 06:19 PM

Great info. More books to add to my wishlist!

#12 of 19 Old 01-20-2010, 03:27 PM

I'd also like to suggest some Pema Chodron books. They focus less on "being positive" but more on staying with whatever feelings you have at any given moment, and learning how to ride through them. Being negative stems from fear, and learning how to sit with the fear and work through it rather than ducking it, hiding it or trying to make yourself feel better enables you be less afraid in general, and therefore more positive.

This is an extremely brief and not very good summary, but I have found her teachings to be very helpful! I especially love her audiobooks.
#13 of 19 Old 01-22-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Basically what I am trying to say is I am trying to approach this less about thinking positively or negatively and more about thinking realistically.
that's great to find some way of phrasing it that helps you! i have to say, though... i "know" you from several places on mdc, and i've never thought of you as especially negative! i'm guessing now that a lot of my posts probably irk you, lol, so i apologize for that. i think finding a way (or ways) that resonates with you is so important (and if that includes fluffy bunnies, than that's ok, too. ).
#14 of 19 Old 01-22-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
that's great to find some way of phrasing it that helps you! i have to say, though... i "know" you from several places on mdc, and i've never thought of you as especially negative! i'm guessing now that a lot of my posts probably irk you, lol, so i apologize for that. i think finding a way (or ways) that resonates with you is so important (and if that includes fluffy bunnies, than that's ok, too. ).
No, I totally agree. Whatever floats your boat and all that. And I have never known you to be irksome... Maybe I am reading the wrong threads!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#15 of 19 Old 01-22-2010, 09:20 PM

no, no, whatever you're reading, that's all good.
#16 of 19 Old 01-23-2010, 02:33 AM

This isn't a 'self help' book, it's a novel, but it was SO inspirational to me regarding staying focused on goals and keeping a positive attitude.

The Power of One, by Bryce Courtenay

It was made into a movie, but the movie was NOTHING like the book. NOTHING. So don't bother, it killed my positive attitude for about a week straight LOLOLOL

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#17 of 19 Old 01-23-2010, 03:39 PM

What a great thread
I personally find this book uplifting
http://www.amazon.com/Four-Agreement.../dp/1878424319

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#18 of 19 Old 01-24-2010, 01:15 AM

I saw that movie (The Power of One) and from what I remember it was very depressing. I will have to check out the book, I didn't know that it was a book first.

#19 of 19 Old 01-24-2010, 01:36 AM

The movie was HORRID. Absolutely despicable. The BOOK, however, is a huge epic journey of self and really empowering. The whole 'take what life gives you and make the best of everything you can' kind of thing.

I've read it about 30 times, it's seriously the best book!

It's one of those books that when you read it you think WOW this would be a GREAT movie. Except, what makes it awesome is that it's a LOT of his thought processes and (mis)perceptions of the world around him, so that's impossible to accurately portray in a movie. Then of course the movie has to mesh all the characters and streamline the story so it fits in two hours. And this is NOT a two hour kind of book.

Ok I'm just going to have to go start a book thread on it I'll re read it if anyone else wants to discuss it?

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page