Anyone else want to start taking better care of themselves? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 167 Old 03-08-2010, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope I'm not too late to join

I just realized something while talking to another mama today - back when I had the $ to take care of myself (new clothes, getting my hair done, going to the gym) I didn't do it because I didn't think I deserved it...long story short

but NOW...I have NO $, but I've learned to love myself enough to want to take care of myself I'll be starting a new job soon, so I'll have a little mula to put back into me, and yes, I'm about jumping for joy over it

I want to do yoga, see a natropath, and start doing 'ladies night out' at least once a month just for the FUN of it and putting my feet up whenever I can and need to (now THAT will be a challenge...)

and I think a support group like this is perfect for making sure we mamas keep at it
#62 of 167 Old 03-08-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning_Mum View Post
Oh! I just found this thread! Can I join in too?!

I had been going pretty well with taking care of myself until a couple of months ago, so I really want to start again!

My goals are:

* Moisturise my whole body after I bathe
* Start wearing make up daily again (I get my eyelashes tinted so that involves concealer and powder)
* Start wearing accessories again (I was big on earrings and bracelets and rings for a while but have stopped recently)
* Have a long bath once a week and give myself a pedicure, manicure, facial, hair treatment and exfoliate my body
* Start washing my face before bed (which I do if I wear make up, so make up is kind of a two for one!)
* Do some sort of cardio and stretching everyday
* Eat breakfast and take my vitamins every day
* Drink more water and try and drink some green tea during the day instead of black tea all the time.

Lordy that sounds like alot! I know I can do it though! I used to do it everyday, so I don't see why I can't now. It's all about giving myself a talking to!
good luck!!! sounds like a lot, although a good talking to is always the way to start
#63 of 167 Old 03-08-2010, 08:30 PM

I am so in! I've gained about 5 pounds in the past few weeks, and I feel beyond frumpy & gross. My goal for the rest of this week is to shower by or before 10 AM. I do already shower every day, but it usually ends up being around noon or 1:00, and by then I've felt blah all day (I get up at 5 AM, so that's quite a long time to sit around in my PJs with bedhead). I also need to dry/straighten my hair & do my make-up (including/especially eyeliner -- it's my "I love me" make-up necessity!) as soon as I get out of the shower.

Thanks for posting this
#64 of 167 Old 03-08-2010, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome to the new people

Faith you are doing awesome

Today I bought some hand weights and the "30 day shed" DVD. I had a gift card from one of my students so I figured I would use it for something to help me get in shape.

I scoped out a new location to walk too

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#65 of 167 Old 03-08-2010, 09:28 PM

This thread is beyond cool. Thanks bunnyflakes.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#66 of 167 Old 03-08-2010, 09:34 PM

Today was a chilly and DREARY day here and I have felt rather cranky most of the day. I talked to some friends about logistical things coming up and general conversation, which were some of the highlights of the day. I didn't bother showering today (I brushed my teeth, cleaned my tongue, and used deodorant). I dressed okay today because it is a habit now (casual blank pants and red fleece V-neck), but that is about it. I didn't brush my hair (not unusual, curly girl here), but I did smooth it back with my hands and put it in a pony tail for the walk to school this morning. Ponytails are okay with me since I rarely wear them. Then I pulled that out and have had kind of messy hair all day. No makeup and I was going to say no jewelry, but I did put my rose quartz necklace on this afternoon sometime.

Maybe I will take a hot, fragrant bath later.... I love essential oils and I rarely bother with baths, so that would be an incredibly nice thing to do for myself. It could be the saving grace for the day, especially if I put on pretty jammies afterwards...

I did at least eat healthy today and walk over two miles. I'm off to roast two whole organic chickens for tonight's dinner and for the freezer and future meals.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#67 of 167 Old 03-08-2010, 09:43 PM

This is a lot of good for you right here... Over 2 miles? That's great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
I did at least eat healthy today and walk over two miles. I'm off to roast two whole organic chickens for tonight's dinner and for the freezer and future meals.

#68 of 167 Old 03-08-2010, 11:45 PM

Bunnyflakes, that 30 Day Shred kicked my booty. I only did five days of it before quitting. I'm going to try to start over again if my body ever recovers. My legs are still killing me, and I stopped doing it three days ago. I hope you're able to stick with it!
#69 of 167 Old 03-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Banned

Wow, everyone's doing great!

Today, I went for a long walk with a friend, then did 30 crunches and 30 pushups and some squats/lunges (used DD for a weight she thought it was hilarious!)

I feel pretty good. Mostly my goal this week has been to get to bed on time. I feel so much better about myself with enough sleep. DD has been sleeping terribly lately so it's been hard to remind myself at 9:30 that I should go to bed if I want to be functioning in the morning.
#70 of 167 Old 03-08-2010, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Oh at my weight and size I have no doubt that I wont even be able to get through 90% of one of those workouts My goal is to try my best and see if I can make it a bit further every day!

I cheated today. I did a pony tail. I dressed up though My pony tail was at least a nice one. I brushed my hair and pulled it back and it looked nice, not messy. No jewelry. For some reason I picked only messy things to do this week with the so I haven't really wanted to wear anything that can get gunky. The shirt I wore today got stained Hopefully it will come out

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#71 of 167 Old 03-09-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bejeweled* View Post
This is a lot of good for you right here... Over 2 miles? That's great.
Thanks!

I should tell y'all that I walk that far every day my DD is in school. Tomorrow will be three miles because I am volunteering at school and will go back and forth three times (half-mile each way). I've been doing this for three years and you'd think it would be a good way to at least maintain weight, if not lose weight (as I would hope). Nope. I've slowly gained weight instead. It stinks. But it isn't that simple, of course.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#72 of 167 Old 03-09-2010, 07:49 PM

Everyone sounds like they are doing pretty well!

I wore mascara yesterday and today (again, I just didn't wash it off last night). But because of early pregnancy I'm so dang tired, I just can't do more. I hate taking naps and I took one on Sunday. I'm a total night owl and hate going to bed early, but last night I fell asleep on the couch at 8pm and went in to bed at 9pm. I slept until 7am and I'm still so tired today I'm about to fall asleep at my desk. *sigh* But I still did my hair today. I just put the front part up in a barette. And my shoes match my tshirt. Nothing too special but at least I look better than I feel.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#73 of 167 Old 03-09-2010, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyflakes View Post
Welcome to the new people

Faith you are doing awesome

Today I bought some hand weights and the "30 day shed" DVD. I had a gift card from one of my students so I figured I would use it for something to help me get in shape.

I scoped out a new location to walk too
The 30 Day Shred ROCKS! I "used to be" in good shape, worked out regularly, even ran a marathon and was in the top ten for women in my age group. All that to say, I am no stranger to exercise (although I;ve always had my trouble zones)...except that was before kids. And in the last 8 years, I have had a couple of spurts of trying to get in shape, but never managed to get very far. For my 40th bday, I got to go to Cancun with some girlfriends. It put the fear of God in me! Getting into a bathing suit in front of family is a totally different thing than getting into one in front of girlfriends!

Anyway, long story short. It works! Stick with it. It's hard, but it's ONLY 20 minutes. And you get stronger FAST. WHich is very encouraging. I have never felt so good about my body. Ever! I have muscle definition I used to kill myself trying to get and never achieved. And in 20 minutes a day, I finally have abs! My dh started doing it because he was so impressed by my results, and my bff that was on the trip with me bought the dvd too. If that's not a good advertisement, I don't know what is!
#74 of 167 Old 03-09-2010, 10:01 PM

Okay, Cristina, you totally motivated me to start the 30 Day Shred again tomorrow, as much as I DREAD it. We're going to Gulf Shores in June, and I HAVE to have a relatively decent bikini body by then! I just really need to tone, tone, tone between now and then -- my weight isn't too bad, my BMI is literally 0.1 point over what it's supposed to be.

Today I showered & did my hair & make-up at before 8, and I felt FABULOUS all day! It's amazing what that does for my self-confidence.
#75 of 167 Old 03-10-2010, 01:24 AM

I have the 30 day shred and have not done well with it, it scares me quite frankly lol. I am just soo out of shape. I am going to pull out my exercise dvds though and start trying to do some each day! I really want to start getting healthy and losing weight.

I am proud of myself. Every single day I have been making time to shower, blow dry my hair and put on make up in the morning before I take my oldest DD to school. It really does make me feel better about myself!

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#76 of 167 Old 03-10-2010, 10:58 AM

Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful~Life View Post
I am proud of myself. Every single day I have been making time to shower, blow dry my hair and put on make up in the morning before I take my oldest DD to school. It really does make me feel better about myself!

#77 of 167 Old 03-10-2010, 01:30 PM

Thank you.

#78 of 167 Old 03-10-2010, 04:26 PM

I am proud of myself. I dressed nicely and did my hair and wore a little makeup yesterday when I volunteered at DD's school. My assistant (we teach art) noticed and was complementary. It ended up being a very busy day and all that preparation (not really much time-wise, but mentally) really made a difference in my energy and attitude all day long... Plus, I drank a green smoothie in the morning, which gave me a slow and steady type of energy. Dinner was pretty healthy, too, but breakfast was just the smoothie (not really enough) and lunch was unhealthy. I don't recall afternoon snack with DD....

Three miles plus (probably four) of walking yesterday.

And I got a LOT accomplished yesterday!

Today, hmmmm, not nearly the same. There is still time for improvement since I am on the West Coast.

#79 of 167 Old 03-10-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
There is still time for improvement since I am on the West Coast.

I have done absolutely nothing today but lay on the couch enjoying the breeze. Sure feels good. Maybe tomorrow I'll be productive. Maybe not.

#80 of 167 Old 03-10-2010, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
OMG you folks with the 30 Day Shred. I am sitting here eating a spoonful of Nutella reading this. I bought a DVD for pregnancy pilates. I should just go and do it RIGHT NOW.

I have been sitting here on the futon all afternoon sobbing over my Josephine B. trilogy (by Sandra Gulland) -- the last novel. It made me so sad! Time to get my butt in gear.

Thanks all for the group inspiration.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#81 of 167 Old 03-10-2010, 10:06 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Uggh, I was doing well exercising and taking better care of myself....and then yesterday I got rear-ended and now my head and neck hurt too much to exercise.

One step forward, two steps back.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#82 of 167 Old 03-10-2010, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
Uggh, I was doing well exercising and taking better care of myself....and then yesterday I got rear-ended and now my head and neck hurt too much to exercise.

One step forward, two steps back.

A&A - I hope you see a doctor about your aches and feel better soon.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#83 of 167 Old 03-11-2010, 12:00 AM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
A&A - I hope you see a doctor about your aches and feel better soon.
Thanks. I did go to the ER and I'm going to see a chiropractor tomorrow.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#84 of 167 Old 03-11-2010, 02:09 AM

Hugs A&A!

That's funny, bejeweled!

I did pull it together today. I jumped in the shower, dressed nicely, put on jewelry... I did some laundry and dishes and stored my freshly finished bone broth. DH started dinner for tonight this morning and I did the middle steps. Then, I walked to pick DD up from school and the chaos began. Snack, neighbor's house, Grandpa's, ice skating with friends, Girl Scouts cookie booth, home for dinner (DH finished while I was at the cookie sale), and then going over our camping list for this weekend. Finally got DD to bed by 8:20 pm and replied to an email from a mom of one of DD's slumber party guests about gift ideas. I'm in my jammies and in bed now!

#85 of 167 Old 03-11-2010, 01:00 PM

Today is a great day!

I woke up early, showered, dressed nicely (black pants, fuchsia sweater, cute black shoes), put on my rose quartz necklace, and walked DD to school with my dad. Long story, but he and I have had a challenging ride in this life. Anyway, we actually discussed FINANCES and STOCKS (you know, money, one of those touchy topics) and it was all good!!!!

Okay, when I got home, I ate a donut for breakfast. Not healthy. Guess what.... I really tasted it, like Jon Gabriel recommends, and it tasted exactly like corrugated cardboard and oil. It didn't even taste sweet to me. WOO HOOOOOOO!!!!! Donuts are a major weakness and I currently have no desire for a "better tasting" one. I am drinking a green smoothie and headed out the door for an appointment. Busy and good day ahead.

Best wishes to everyone for the best day you've had in a long time!

#86 of 167 Old 03-11-2010, 01:10 PM

I hope everyone has a great day. My day has been off to a rough start (2 cranky little girls) and me feeling a bit stressed and overwhelmed. I am going to try to exercise and shower before I take my oldest DD to school, my youngest DD to Grandmas and then I have a full day of running errands!

#87 of 167 Old 03-11-2010, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thanks, Bunny, for starting this thread.

You all inspired me to get myself another pair of jeans. I have two pairs of sweats and ONE pair of jeans. That's it. I'm a sahm so I can get away with that, but I'm tired of it. I hate trying on pants. So I'm ordering them online and will try them on at home.

I finally called the hair stylist and am waiting for her to call me back. It's way past time to get a hair cut!

We're walking distance to ds's school but most mornings I drive him. Well the weather's getting nicer, it's sunny but cold today, so I told him we'd walk to school. Hurrah! We didn't get ready on time, so I ended up driving him to school. Boo!

But that sort of counts, right?! Tomorrow morning we'll be better organized and leave early enough to walk to school.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#88 of 167 Old 03-11-2010, 03:30 PM

^I know how you feel! I have one pair of jeans and several pairs of sweats and that is it. Not caring about what I wear or how I look is prob. part of what caused me to gain weight. Weird as it sounds I am doing my hair and makeup everyday now regardless of if I am just wearing sweats. I feel a lot better!

#89 of 167 Old 03-11-2010, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just got back from a 30 minute walk with the dog!

I had a fasting blood test done recently and got the lab results back yesterday. All the various numbers are right within range of normal except vitamin D.

Normal range of vit. D is 30 - 100 teeny-tiny units per milliliter of blood. Mine is 23.3. Oh my! My doc's note with the lab results says I'm to start D supplement at 2000 per day and calcium at 1200 per day.

Why is this important? I read up on it, and I had no idea. It's vitally important for calcium absorption. Well, I knew that part. But I didn't know that deficiency is linked to breast cancer, colo/rectal cancer, heart disease and osteoporosis.

And... deficiency is linked to seasonal affective disorder, depression and the mental fog associated with it. Something a lot of us deal with.

So I marched out and got myself a bottle of calcium and a bottle of multivitamins. I've taken vitamins inconsistently my whole adult life. But I'm committing to taking them regularly now.

I've been taking such bad care of myself, especially the last 7 years. I mean, hardly any veggies or fresh fruit. Lots of starches and meat. VERY sedentary. Like, literally sitting at the computer for 4 hours straight.

All things that are really bad for my heart, my bones, my mental health!

I'm turning that around, have been for several months. It's such slow progress! I see a therapist and have been making real progress knocking down those walls that are keeping me back.

In any case, I just want to encourage all of you ladies when next time you have one of those comprehensive, fasting blood tests done to check various levels of this and that, ask your doctor to have them check your vitamin D level.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#90 of 167 Old 03-11-2010, 05:38 PM

I really dislike wearing pants and jeans sometimes. Even if they look good, they're so uncomfortable. So today I decided "F it", I'm going back to wearing my skirts. I love wearing skirts and I feel good in them.

So I put on my skirt, did my hair w/a jewelled barrette, threw on some lipstick and perfume and went out to enjoy the sun. I really need to be kinder to myself sometimes...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page