Anyone else want to start taking better care of themselves? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 167 Old 03-22-2010, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I were you I would wear a hat, sunglasses and a good sunscreen! I like at least 30SPF or higher. If you really want to block some sun the Neutrogena Sheer 100SPF is awesome!

BTW what book are you reading?! I LOVE to read too.

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#122 of 167 Old 03-22-2010, 02:52 AM

First ---> I second the hat! Make it a wide-brimmed hat for the best protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
We have a busy week ahead of us, so my focus is to remember my health is very important even during chaotic times. DH & I just made a meal plan for the week and I typed it in my calendar and "invited" him, then I whispered it to DD while she was settling down in bed (early). Drinking plenty of water is a specific goal... 60-70 ounces every day... and keeping track. Dressing nicely and walking are two things I have made habits now, so those should fall into place despite the crazy week ahead. Adding some jewelry and makeup would be the next steps and some days I take them and other days... not so much.
I wanted to report back... I did it!!! I was sooo tired last Sunday and then felt blah and tired on Monday, felt mostly okay on Tuesday - just a little tired, then had a fever for about 36 hours starting around 4 pm on Tuesday and was out of it most of the week. I managed to focus on MY health and I did not overdo it. It was a rough parenting week with a big science fair project due for our DD plus a lot of other homework and attending the science fair (big social event at her school, where we are quite active). DD's first slumber party was this weekend, too, in celebration of her 9th birthday next week. I managed to not stress myself out preparing for any of this and I mostly focused on getting myself well. I let DH & DD do a lot of the cleaning. I broke up the food shopping in three small stops and then let DH pick up the two things I forgot. (DD & I had already, thankfully, done the planning weeks ago for the majority of the party.) I let my dad walk DD to school most mornings last week in order for me to rest. I don't recall a time, other than pregnancy, when I was so responsible towards MYSELF.

A friend on facebook commented about acting irresponsibly one day (in jest about herself) and I commented how I was acting irresponsibly because I was lounging in bed when I should have been preparing our house for the weekend houseguests. My friend told me my behavior was absolutely responsible for the circumstances. (She knew how I'd been feeling all week and she also knew about the slumber party.) That took me a few minutes to absorb. I was raised to believe that "productivity is the responsible choice" with no regard for circumstances. I feel I've finally turned a corner in respecting myself and my own health.

I went to an incredible workshop this afternoon. I dressed nicely and I WORE MAKEUP and jewelry!

I lost track of the exact ounces of water I drank each day, but I did count until I reached a minimum of 60 ounces. I drank 60 or more ounces of plain water every day, which was my goal last week. I dressed better than one would expect (since I was ill) when walking to pick DD up from school in the afternoons, but not quite as nice as usual (nice bottoms, but casual t-shirts). I only walked half the time/distance as usual. I'm okay with both of those under the circumstances. I wore jewelry to the science fair and to my workshop today and I wore my rose quartz necklace most days. I only wore makeup today to lunch and the workshop. All good enough for me!

For the coming week, which is another busy one, my goals are:
~ to rest if I feel I need to, don't push myself to get a bunch of things done just because I am behind on several projects...
~ specifically, to be patient and loving towards myself (and others, but it's easier to be patient and loving towards others sometimes)...
~ dress nicely all week, except tomorrow (I'm getting an abyhanga, which is an Ayurvedic oil massage - oil from scalp to toes and a LOT of it - and I leave it on all day and night for maximum benefits, so nice clothes are really ridiculous! )
~ drink 60+ ounces of water every day

I hope everyone feels good and does something nice for herself next week!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#123 of 167 Old 03-22-2010, 12:23 PM

^wow I am so impressed! It sounds like you are doing AWESOME! Keep it up!

Yesterday even though it was rainy and I felt depressed I did take my girls out in the double stroller for a long walk and then last night I took a long bubble bath and then knitted when the girls went to sleep.

Today my goal is to exercise again, shower, do my hair and makeup and try not to be hard on myself or stress about things that I cannot control!

#124 of 167 Old 03-22-2010, 04:02 PM

Hi there,
I still want to play. I was out of town, but I took care to take it easy. I laid out in the sun for awhile and painted with DD outside.

This morning I took a walk and I've been drinking lots of water.

Glad to hear that everyone is still taking better care.

I will fill my cup first.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#125 of 167 Old 03-22-2010, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hi All, it's so nice to hear the updates from everyone.

On Friday I arranged for some friends to meet us at a little gallery with their 2 y.o. Then they came over for supper. It was good for the kids and dh, but esp. filled my cup, as I had been feeling lonely for some company with friends.

Recently there has been a 50% sale down the street at this fab store with all kinds of funky stuff like african masks, beaded jewellery, shells, etc. I bought myself some necklaces and earrings. Despite my warnings, dd1 has run off with them, and I'm not sure when I'll get them back. So today I went and bought some more. They're crazy inexpensive ATM because they're clearing stock. So that was nice.

My mom, sister and I have planned a low budget "retreat weekend" at my sister's small town home, where we will go to the local community centre to swim and do some nature trails. Add to that some good home cooking, maybe watching a movie and chatting... that will be nice and relaxing.

I decided to push for dh and I to go away for a weekend to a tulip festival in our nation's capital. We will have to take a train, stay at a hotel, etc. It will be great to treat ourselves for the first time in years. We haven't taken a little trip alone for years.

Like others here, making sure I do showers, hair washing, and adding make up and jewellery is a big plus. I also *gasp* spent $22 on myself! Getting my pants hemmed! Even though I can do it myself! I have just been too tired and busy with other things. It was a luxury and a treat, but at least now I can wear my maternity pants and they're not going to waste.

Gee, looks like I had a lot to say today afterall.

Carry on with the Self Care all. This is inspiring.

Bunnyflakes it's good to know you are feeling better from the stomach flu.

Beautiful~Life - I like the idea of taking the kids out in the double stroller even if it's raining. They can hold umbrellas and get some fresh air. I wonder if my two would be interested in that tonight... if not, I'll try to do a little exercise video.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#126 of 167 Old 03-22-2010, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful~Life View Post
If I were you I would wear a hat, sunglasses and a good sunscreen! I like at least 30SPF or higher. If you really want to block some sun the Neutrogena Sheer 100SPF is awesome!

BTW what book are you reading?! I LOVE to read too.
Yeah I have this huge visor in the car I can wear And I am always rocking my shades. I plan to go sunscreens shopping on Saturday

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#127 of 167 Old 03-22-2010, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, forgot to mention. I am reading "The Memory Keeper's Daughter." LOVE IT!! If you do read it, do NOT read the back flap first, I think it tells too many details that can ruin it for you.

This is a book I could easily stay up all night reading, but sadly, that is not possible

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#128 of 167 Old 03-22-2010, 08:52 PM

[QUOTE=Surfacing;15213252]Carry on with the Self Care all. This is inspiring.

#129 of 167 Old 03-22-2010, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

I am doing well with my nightly routine. Showering with nice scented body wash, then applying a cream to my face, then a baby powder scented body lotion. I follow up with some powder on the parts of me that get sweaty when I am outside all day

I have not fixed my hair though or worn any jewelry other than the necklace

#130 of 167 Old 03-22-2010, 11:50 PM

Sounds like everyone is doing great!

I took an hour long walk tonight with my kiddos in the stroller and it felt great. Sometimes I forget to bring my MP3 player with me when I walk and that makes walks so boring. When I am listening to music it really inspires me and helps me to keep walking. I feel like I have so far to go weight wise (100 lbs to lose) but I know I can do it if I keep working hard.

#131 of 167 Old 03-23-2010, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyflakes View Post
Oh, forgot to mention. I am reading "The Memory Keeper's Daughter." LOVE IT!! If you do read it, do NOT read the back flap first, I think it tells too many details that can ruin it for you.

This is a book I could easily stay up all night reading, but sadly, that is not possible
Oooh great to know, I'm looking for a new good book to read. I just finished The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill and also the Josephine B trilogy by Sandra G (forget her last name). Excellent books!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#132 of 167 Old 03-23-2010, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

I am getting a suntan and I don't like it

I know, it is a stupid thing to get worked up about. But every time I look at my tanning skin, all I see is sun damage.

I am really, really pale. Pale is beautiful. My face looks funny darker. It just doesn't look like me

It is not something I can avoid, I spend 4 hours outside a day now. Not like I can do anything about it. It just makes me kind of sad to see my skin changing so much.

Sorry to rant about such a stupid thing

#133 of 167 Old 03-23-2010, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

But on another note, I am about to remove all of the hair from my legs I want to start exposing them so that maybe they can look like they belong on the same body as the rest of me Right now I look funny with pale legs and golden everywhere else. I haven't gone hair free in forever!

#134 of 167 Old 03-24-2010, 01:11 AM

I know what you mean about the tanning. Ever since my Mom got a melanoma I am really really cautious about sun exposure. I used to love to tan and now I worry about what I might have done to myself. Anyway I understand how you feel!

BTW about the legs, when STBX and I first separated I went on a shaving strike lol because he was so weird about hair and liked me to shave everywhere and it was so much work so when we split I quit shaving but then this past week I decided that I wanted to be sexy for myself lol and feel good about myself just for me so I shaved again and bought some new pretty panties!

#135 of 167 Old 03-26-2010, 07:57 PM

How's everyone doing?

I've worn mascara every day since my first post here, including weekends!! That is just unheard of for me. And since I'm pregnant, it seems easier for me to eat REALLY well and be super healthy for the growing baby, rather than just for myself. Sad, but true. I'm very proud of myself, though! I've been running around busy on the weekends lately but I really need to walk after work each night. I've got no excuse since the weather here is beautiful. That's my goal for the coming week.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#136 of 167 Old 03-26-2010, 09:27 PM

I am still showering every morning and then doing my hair and makeup. I have had a really tough week emotionally but doing my hair and makeup and putting on nice perfume is helping me at least get through the day. I plan to walk this weekend if the weather is nice!

#137 of 167 Old 03-27-2010, 01:58 PM

Hi, I'm doing well.
Yesterday I got so many compliments. It was weird almost. Compliments about my neon orange pedicure and sandals, compliments about my hair and jewelled barrette. I guess that means I'm on the right track. I've definitely been trying.

I put my bicycle in the shop yesterday and plan to start riding again. Little by little. I don't know why I'm nervous about it. I want to just enjoy riding like I used to and stop feeling guilty about how out of shape I am. Man. I've got some emotional hurdles to overcome. But I'm trying.

#138 of 167 Old 03-27-2010, 01:59 PM

. Ooooh, pretty.

[QUOTE=Monarchgrrl;15229648]
I've worn mascara every day since my first post here, including weekends!!

#139 of 167 Old 03-27-2010, 02:00 PM

One day at a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful~Life View Post
I am still showering every morning and then doing my hair and makeup. I have had a really tough week emotionally but doing my hair and makeup and putting on nice perfume is helping me at least get through the day. I plan to walk this weekend if the weather is nice!

#140 of 167 Old 03-28-2010, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

I am making peace with my tan. I realized a while back that my STBX would have hated it, so I kind of like it now

Although it is a farmer's tan

How is everyone doing?

#141 of 167 Old 03-29-2010, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
For the coming week, which is another busy one, my goals are:
~ to rest if I feel I need to, don't push myself to get a bunch of things done just because I am behind on several projects...
~ specifically, to be patient and loving towards myself (and others, but it's easier to be patient and loving towards others sometimes)...
~ dress nicely all week, except tomorrow (I'm getting an abyhanga, which is an Ayurvedic oil massage - oil from scalp to toes and a LOT of it - and I leave it on all day and night for maximum benefits, so nice clothes are really ridiculous! )
~ drink 60+ ounces of water every day
Hmmm.... well, I rested when I felt the need (which was fairly often actually) and I dressed nicely all week, except Monday (abyhanga day) & today (but only left the house today when taking out trash), and I walked 2-3 miles per day during the week.

I could be kinder and more patient with myself and DD and DH. Others benefitted, though.

I missed the water count a few days, but did pretty well.

My goals for the coming week:
~ Go to bed in the ten o'clock hour each night.
~ Wake up in the seven o'clock hour each morning.
~ Eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
(The above have really gotten crazy with our busy schedule this month and I want my health and energy back!)
~ Drink 60+ ounces of water each day.
~ Focus on what *I* need for our upcoming vacation. (I've been focusing so much on what DD & DH need that I am forgetting that I probably have the least appropriate clothing and shoes for this particular trip. It'll be cheaper and less stressful to buy what I need here before we go.)

Enjoy your week!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#142 of 167 Old 03-31-2010, 01:35 PM

I'm in! I'm making an effort to take the stairs instead of the elevator; walk more; and brownbag instead of buying lunch.

The lunch thing is such a no-brainer! It's cheaper, healthier, and I'm an excellent cook and everything tastes better than what I would buy. But it's so haaaaard to pack in the morning, whine whine ...

I'm also trying to be consistent with my skincare regimen, slap on some mascara and perfume, and put together cute outfits. Scarves have become my magic friends -- they make anything look put together! Last week I went to dinner and a play with a friend after work and she said "Oh, you got so dressed up!" Come on, I was wearing a rib-knit pullover top, gray pants, and strappy sandals ... but with a silk scarf tied at the neck, it's suddenly a fancy outfit.
#143 of 167 Old 03-31-2010, 11:37 PM

I haven't done anything exercise related recently but I did just get back from a much needed vacation (well sort of a vacation) and I really feel refreshed. I bought some new perfume and shampoo and conditioner and am making sure to take the time to feel pampered and pretty! I also got a new sweater/shirt set as a gift. It is very nice and pretty, pale pink and it looks very springy!

#144 of 167 Old 04-01-2010, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello, All! I need to be here. It's been a couple of weeks.

My period will start in a day. So I'm getting my monthly anxiety attack. I'll go to bed, sort of fall asleep, but the worrying begins and before long I'm wide awake. It's 2:20 AM here. The anxiety consists of a lot of me beating myself up.

There's a lot of good attitude here! It's helping me hang on.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#145 of 167 Old 04-01-2010, 11:40 AM

Hi, I'm here. Doing ok. Journeymom, I'm experiencing something similar---monthly cycles of anxiety and worry. I try to remember that it's temporary and try to be extra kind to myself.

I got my bike out of the shop yesterday so I'm ready to start riding. I'll let you know when I get the nerve to do so. Baby steps...

I've been letting go of so much lately. Trying not to worry and taking each day as it comes. And my friend told me yesterday that I'm glowing.

Each day is such a gift.

#146 of 167 Old 04-01-2010, 02:18 PM

I sterted zee dey veet a beeg plete-a ooff speecy meetbells und a ploonge-a intu un icy leke-a fur un ierly murneeng sveem. I feel greet!

Thees effternuun I plun tu pley chess veet Death. Thet keend ooff mentel steemooleshun reelly perks me-a up. I'll be-a veereeng coote-a shues und sume-a neece-a perffoome-a fur oooor metch, und zeen I'll gu heeking et IKEA.

Injuy yuoor dey, iferyune-a!
#147 of 167 Old 04-01-2010, 03:02 PM

subbing.. as I missed it before

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#148 of 167 Old 04-01-2010, 04:43 PM

I'm hefe-a a beeg, deleeciuoos coop ooff cuffffee-a und zeen it's ooffff tu zee reefer veet zee kidees fur a lung velk! I'm tryeeng tu rescooe-a thees dey! Bork Bork Bork!

Svedeesh meetbells fur deenner suoonds reelly guud! I knoo zee hoosbund vuoold lufe-a it. Hurndy hurndy hurndy!

#149 of 167 Old 04-02-2010, 03:18 PM

Oh dear. I didn't make Swedish meatballs for dinner. Dh worked late and I ended up taking the kids out for fast food.

Oh well, I'll do better today. I'm off to a better start; at least I didn't have any insomnia attacks. I slept great.

#150 of 167 Old 04-02-2010, 04:35 PM

Having a tough time today. I am sick and def. don't feel like doing any self care. I know I need to though. I just feel tired and depressed. The girls are going to their dads tomorrow so hopefully I can get some things done, relax and get to feeling better.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page